Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0soHS8H7m

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    I like Reddick as well but i wouldn't mind seeing Matt Barnes, he'll certainly add that toughness, cockiness and defensive mentally the team is sorely lacking, plus he's a good spot up shooter as well.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I was secretly hoping for Ronnie Brewer.
    I wouldn't mind Barnes though.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think the Magic would match any offer for Reddick....I would be happy with Matt Barnes or Shannon Brown...Brewer is o.k but just dont really want him even though he may be a better player then Barnes...Like Barnes toughness or Browns athletsism....Don't get me wrong I think JJ would be a good signing but Orlando will match....

Post Thanks / Like

Ronnie Brewer would be the best possible signing for the Raptors. He would provide strong defense.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPT0RS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's secretly Wade for the MLE, but don't tell anyone...

Post Thanks / Like

None of those players, Barnes/Brewer/Brown/Redick, names have been mentioned by any source as ones that Toronto has interest in. That is just Doug Smith's personal list of the 4 that might fit best in Toronto.

If you read his latest blog and his article he links in it, the only player he mentions that a source has told him the Raptors have interest in is Ryan Gomes.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

While I liked Barnes game (mostly toughness/defense) with the Magic and Suns, he doesnt have a stellar record when playing for a not v/ good team (GSW). There is also the question of why teams wont give him a multi year contract. He might be the type who needs a good team to be motivated..I'd be careful with him. Brewer is probably the best of the bunch.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

"Raptors 'close' to signing player for MLE"

... and I'm close to falling asleep.

I followed the Raps moves in the off-season last year but this is the first time I've tracked Free Agency on a daily basis. Is it always this irretrievably boring? Baseless rumours are flying everywhere but virtually NOTHING has happened. It's like going to a peeler bar and watching a dancer spend 45 minutes taking off one sock.

I don't even like hockey but there were more moves in the first HOUR of NHL free agency than we've seen so far in almost a WEEK of NBA free agency.

I'm tired of it. The tweets... the rumours... the guesses... the "almost" signings... the b.s.

At this point, I'd like to just go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow to discover that the Raps had finished making ALL their moves, just so we could have something to talk about that isn't complete and utter conjecture.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully its childress. Atlanta doesn't have the money to match a mid level exception offer for childress as they just tied all their money up with Joe Johnson. I would take any of the players barnes, brewer or reddick. Hopefully we find out soon

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Childress would be a crazy, home run signing, and it does make a little sense (i'll state the obvious here): Raps have a number of European players, Childress just played the last 2 years in Greece, could be a nice combination of complimentary playing styles. However, I also think Childress may want to sign with a team that lands one or two of the big name FA's. New York seems like a good destination (basing this opinion on absolutely nothing, of course).

I doubt we'd be the ones Childress chooses, but it would be a good fit. A Turk/Childress combo would be decent indeed.

And the boredom at this point has more to do with everything waiting on Wade LeBosh I would think. No one wants to make a move only to then take themselves out of consideration for the guy.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No JJ please although knowing BC, he'll go after him. Besides, considering the uncertainty behind Carter's future in Orlando, I expect JJ to be re-matched and stick around until Carter's contract expires (unless he's traded of course). Barnes is incredibly attractive. I'm shocked that this guy never manages to stick around. He is tenacious and is not afraid. I remember him getting in the face of Kobe and it was nasty.

PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    No JJ please although knowing BC, he'll go after him. Besides, considering the uncertainty behind Carter's future in Orlando, I expect JJ to be re-matched and stick around until Carter's contract expires (unless he's traded of course). Barnes is incredibly attractive. I'm shocked that this guy never manages to stick around. He is tenacious and is not afraid. I remember him getting in the face of Kobe and it was nasty.

PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?
    re. JJ - don't sleep on him, he's come a long way, and worked himself into legit NBA player. he's not the strongest defensively, and never will be, but he's more than just a shooter.

re. barnes - i'm always leery of guys who move from team to team, despite a skill-set & personality that indicate he should stick. i wonder about him from a mental standpoint - he seems a bit 'out there' - might be the kind of player that needs the perfect kind of coach to get the most out of him. but i completely agree that what he brings to the court has been lacking from the raps for quite some time.

re. trading bosh to the nets - he'd have to want to go there, since he currently isn't under contract to the raps, as part of a S&T. maybe we could convince them to take bargs for lopez & t-will? haha.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

@ qeebee: Yes. It is always this boring. I usually don't even pay attention, but this year is actually important for the franchise. There are real decisions to be made this time around. Anyway, free agents can't actually sign until the 8th anyway, so technically, nothing will be done until then. They should start to calm down by then or have more substance.

That being said, Brewer, Reddick, and/or Childress would be nice, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Forge wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0soHS8H7m
    Here is what each of the those four made in millions in 2009-10

Matt Barnes------------$1.6
    Ronnie Brewer----------2.7
    Shannon Brown---------2.0
    J.J. Redick-------------2.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...redicjj01.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think it would be a mistake to sign anyone before we know what's going on with Bosh - simply because we can't say yet who or what will be coming back. Say he chooses Houston - whereby we get 2 SF's in return, negating a need to sign one, and in fact creating a logjam there. Likewise to the Bulls, where James Johnson or Deng may come back. Likewise, if we get a huge TPE, we could use that on any number of players or a player for any number of positions. Especially if with this "close" to happening signing we get just an average player, which is beyond likely given that it's gonna be for the MLE.

Say we keep Bosh - doesn't that make it more than likely we'll move Turk? Who knows who we'll get in return for him.

This has the potential to keep us medicore more than anything else, filling a need that may turn out not to be a need, and I'm saying this having no idea who they're really targeting. Regardless, it still is a mistake to sign anyone at this point, unless one of two things:

1) Unless they're targeting Josh Childress
    2) Unless this potential signing is not for a SF, in which case, this post is moot.

Raptors Republic Rookie Realist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brewer or Barnes please.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as we don't sign shannon Browm> great athlete bit undersized shooting guard who makes questionable decisions and might only fit it as a back up shooting guard which is already taken by sonny weems who IMO is as good or better. Rather have 3/2 in case turk struggles like last year or someone to match up against physical 2 guard. In order of preference, CHildress, Brewer, barnes, gomez, reddick.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Realist wrote: View Post
    Brewer or Barnes please.
    I doubt that Smith's story listed the complete list of free agents being considered by the Raptors for the MLE.

Redick has shown he can make the three and probably beat Kapono one on one.
    Brown has shown he can dunk both at the all-star game weekend and during games that count.
    Barnes has shown that he can pack his suitcase and repack it and repack it.
    Brewer has he ever shown anything in the NBA worth remembering?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information