Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0soHS8H7m

I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
      I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
      I like Reddick as well but i wouldn't mind seeing Matt Barnes, he'll certainly add that toughness, cockiness and defensive mentally the team is sorely lacking, plus he's a good spot up shooter as well.

Comment

I was secretly hoping for Ronnie Brewer.
        I wouldn't mind Barnes though.

Comment

I would think the Magic would match any offer for Reddick....I would be happy with Matt Barnes or Shannon Brown...Brewer is o.k but just dont really want him even though he may be a better player then Barnes...Like Barnes toughness or Browns athletsism....Don't get me wrong I think JJ would be a good signing but Orlando will match....

Comment

Ronnie Brewer would be the best possible signing for the Raptors. He would provide strong defense.

Comment

It's secretly Wade for the MLE, but don't tell anyone...

Comment

None of those players, Barnes/Brewer/Brown/Redick, names have been mentioned by any source as ones that Toronto has interest in. That is just Doug Smith's personal list of the 4 that might fit best in Toronto.

If you read his latest blog and his article he links in it, the only player he mentions that a source has told him the Raptors have interest in is Ryan Gomes.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

While I liked Barnes game (mostly toughness/defense) with the Magic and Suns, he doesnt have a stellar record when playing for a not v/ good team (GSW). There is also the question of why teams wont give him a multi year contract. He might be the type who needs a good team to be motivated..I'd be careful with him. Brewer is probably the best of the bunch.

Comment

"Raptors 'close' to signing player for MLE"

... and I'm close to falling asleep.

I followed the Raps moves in the off-season last year but this is the first time I've tracked Free Agency on a daily basis. Is it always this irretrievably boring? Baseless rumours are flying everywhere but virtually NOTHING has happened. It's like going to a peeler bar and watching a dancer spend 45 minutes taking off one sock.

I don't even like hockey but there were more moves in the first HOUR of NHL free agency than we've seen so far in almost a WEEK of NBA free agency.

I'm tired of it. The tweets... the rumours... the guesses... the "almost" signings... the b.s.

At this point, I'd like to just go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow to discover that the Raps had finished making ALL their moves, just so we could have something to talk about that isn't complete and utter conjecture.

Comment

Hopefully its childress. Atlanta doesn't have the money to match a mid level exception offer for childress as they just tied all their money up with Joe Johnson. I would take any of the players barnes, brewer or reddick. Hopefully we find out soon

Comment

Childress would be a crazy, home run signing, and it does make a little sense (i'll state the obvious here): Raps have a number of European players, Childress just played the last 2 years in Greece, could be a nice combination of complimentary playing styles. However, I also think Childress may want to sign with a team that lands one or two of the big name FA's. New York seems like a good destination (basing this opinion on absolutely nothing, of course).

I doubt we'd be the ones Childress chooses, but it would be a good fit. A Turk/Childress combo would be decent indeed.

And the boredom at this point has more to do with everything waiting on Wade LeBosh I would think. No one wants to make a move only to then take themselves out of consideration for the guy.

Comment

No JJ please although knowing BC, he'll go after him. Besides, considering the uncertainty behind Carter's future in Orlando, I expect JJ to be re-matched and stick around until Carter's contract expires (unless he's traded of course). Barnes is incredibly attractive. I'm shocked that this guy never manages to stick around. He is tenacious and is not afraid. I remember him getting in the face of Kobe and it was nasty.

PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            No JJ please although knowing BC, he'll go after him. Besides, considering the uncertainty behind Carter's future in Orlando, I expect JJ to be re-matched and stick around until Carter's contract expires (unless he's traded of course). Barnes is incredibly attractive. I'm shocked that this guy never manages to stick around. He is tenacious and is not afraid. I remember him getting in the face of Kobe and it was nasty.

PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?
                            re. JJ - don't sleep on him, he's come a long way, and worked himself into legit NBA player. he's not the strongest defensively, and never will be, but he's more than just a shooter.

re. barnes - i'm always leery of guys who move from team to team, despite a skill-set & personality that indicate he should stick. i wonder about him from a mental standpoint - he seems a bit 'out there' - might be the kind of player that needs the perfect kind of coach to get the most out of him. but i completely agree that what he brings to the court has been lacking from the raps for quite some time.

re. trading bosh to the nets - he'd have to want to go there, since he currently isn't under contract to the raps, as part of a S&T. maybe we could convince them to take bargs for lopez & t-will? haha.
                            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

@ qeebee: Yes. It is always this boring. I usually don't even pay attention, but this year is actually important for the franchise. There are real decisions to be made this time around. Anyway, free agents can't actually sign until the 8th anyway, so technically, nothing will be done until then. They should start to calm down by then or have more substance.

That being said, Brewer, Reddick, and/or Childress would be nice, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                              X