Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forge wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0soHS8H7m
    Here is what each of the those four made in millions in 2009-10

Matt Barnes------------$1.6
    Ronnie Brewer----------2.7
    Shannon Brown---------2.0
    J.J. Redick-------------2.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...redicjj01.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I also think it would be a mistake to sign anyone before we know what's going on with Bosh - simply because we can't say yet who or what will be coming back. Say he chooses Houston - whereby we get 2 SF's in return, negating a need to sign one, and in fact creating a logjam there. Likewise to the Bulls, where James Johnson or Deng may come back. Likewise, if we get a huge TPE, we could use that on any number of players or a player for any number of positions. Especially if with this "close" to happening signing we get just an average player, which is beyond likely given that it's gonna be for the MLE.

Say we keep Bosh - doesn't that make it more than likely we'll move Turk? Who knows who we'll get in return for him.

This has the potential to keep us medicore more than anything else, filling a need that may turn out not to be a need, and I'm saying this having no idea who they're really targeting. Regardless, it still is a mistake to sign anyone at this point, unless one of two things:

1) Unless they're targeting Josh Childress
      2) Unless this potential signing is not for a SF, in which case, this post is moot.

Comment

Brewer or Barnes please.

Comment

As long as we don't sign shannon Browm> great athlete bit undersized shooting guard who makes questionable decisions and might only fit it as a back up shooting guard which is already taken by sonny weems who IMO is as good or better. Rather have 3/2 in case turk struggles like last year or someone to match up against physical 2 guard. In order of preference, CHildress, Brewer, barnes, gomez, reddick.

Comment

Realist wrote: View Post
            Brewer or Barnes please.
            I doubt that Smith's story listed the complete list of free agents being considered by the Raptors for the MLE.

Redick has shown he can make the three and probably beat Kapono one on one.
            Brown has shown he can dunk both at the all-star game weekend and during games that count.
            Barnes has shown that he can pack his suitcase and repack it and repack it.
            Brewer has he ever shown anything in the NBA worth remembering?
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Doug Smith also mentioned SF Ryan Gomes. Signing Mr. Gomes would be a step in the right direction. He is just waht we need. A young SF who can play defense.

We already have PFs that can play D. Having frontcourt mates that can play D will help Bargs exponentially.

Here's to hoping it is Gomes that BC signs.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                I doubt that Smith's story listed the complete list of free agents being considered by the Raptors for the MLE.

Redick has shown he can make the three and probably beat Kapono one on one.
                Brown has shown he can dunk both at the all-star game weekend and during games that count.
                Barnes has shown that he can pack his suitcase and repack it and repack it.
                Brewer has he ever shown anything in the NBA worth remembering?
                They are both tremendous defenders.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  None of those players, Barnes/Brewer/Brown/Redick, names have been mentioned by any source as ones that Toronto has interest in. That is just Doug Smith's personal list of the 4 that might fit best in Toronto.

If you read his latest blog and his article he links in it, the only player he mentions that a source has told him the Raptors have interest in is Ryan Gomes.
                  No free agents that aren't linked to potential Bosh destinations have been mentioned anywhere yet. If Colangelo is committed to improving defense then Ronnie Brewer is far ahead of everyone.

No one was praising Barnes' defense until he landed in Orlando. In Phoenix he did nothing to improve their defense. I think his weaknesses are being hidden by Dwight's dominance and Rashard's good defense. Their team plays good D overall and are well coached. You put Barnes on the Raptors and he'll be in the boat next to Hedo. You'll be scratching your head wondering how such a defensive drop off could occur. Barnes is not a defensive difference maker like Brewer is.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    No free agents that aren't linked to potential Bosh destinations have been mentioned anywhere yet. If Colangelo is committed to improving defense then Ronnie Brewer is far ahead of everyone.

No one was praising Barnes' defense until he landed in Orlando. In Phoenix he did nothing to improve their defense. I think his weaknesses are being hidden by Dwight's dominance and Rashard's good defense. Their team plays good D overall and are well coached. You put Barnes on the Raptors and he'll be in the boat next to Hedo. You'll be scratching your head wondering how such a defensive drop off could occur. Barnes is not a defensive difference maker like Brewer is.
                    Um, Barnes WAS known for his defense before he signed with the Magic. He just enjoyed his best defensive year with the Magic because of Dwight Howard, but he didn't suck in the department prior to that.

Barnes, 29, averaged 10.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists last season for Phoenix and is regarded as a versatile player off the bench who can guard forwards of all sizes and make the occasional 3-point shot.
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4342767

Personally I don't want Barnes. He's too inconsistent and will probably want to play a bigger role offensively. No thank you.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                      I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
                      I'm sorry, on another thread you're arguing that the Raptors should start Marcus Banks because the most important thing for the Raptors is defense, but then you turn around here and say you think they should sign J.J. Reddick????

ANYONE who has complained about the Raptors defense should not be pining for a below average defensive player to be signed by the Raptors.

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?
                      Actually, I would compare New Jersey keeping Lopez to Chicago keeping Rose. As in there's absolutely no way they'd trade him. He's a potential All-Star calibre center who can score in the post and step outside, rebound and play defense.

Favors, on the other hand, they are apparently not set on keeping if the right deal comes along. I think they're crazy, but if New Jersey can convince Bosh to sign with them, Favors would be a great return for him. He's 18 and possibly still growing, so very well might end up being able to play center. He's bigger and stronger than Davis and if those two could pair up together in the future, it would be an incredibly intimidating front line defensively.

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                      I also think it would be a mistake to sign anyone before we know what's going on with Bosh - simply because we can't say yet who or what will be coming back. Say he chooses Houston - whereby we get 2 SF's in return, negating a need to sign one, and in fact creating a logjam there. Likewise to the Bulls, where James Johnson or Deng may come back. Likewise, if we get a huge TPE, we could use that on any number of players or a player for any number of positions. Especially if with this "close" to happening signing we get just an average player, which is beyond likely given that it's gonna be for the MLE.

Say we keep Bosh - doesn't that make it more than likely we'll move Turk? Who knows who we'll get in return for him.

This has the potential to keep us medicore more than anything else, filling a need that may turn out not to be a need, and I'm saying this having no idea who they're really targeting. Regardless, it still is a mistake to sign anyone at this point, unless one of two things:

1) Unless they're targeting Josh Childress
                      2) Unless this potential signing is not for a SF, in which case, this post is moot.
                      This might be a ploy to force Bosh's hand and/or get better sign and trade offers for him. First they spread the rumour that they might not be interested in doing a sign and trade with Bosh, then send out signals they are going to be using their MLE, which would back this up.

Or they simply may feel that by waiting, they may lose any players they have interest in.

I do think it would be hard to figure out who they'd want, however, if they still are planning to make a bunch of moves. Unless this is a "don't wait" signing like Brendan Haywood, Luis Scola or Mike Miller, which is not very likely.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Let's get Barnes!!!
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I think we should sign T-Mac, AI and Starbury, along with Toine and that is a new starting lineup with Amir as the C

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                            Um, Barnes WAS known for his defense before he signed with the Magic. He just enjoyed his best defensive year with the Magic because of Dwight Howard, but he didn't suck in the department prior to that.
                            I never said he sucked. I said he's not a defensive force and he certainly isn't the sort of impact defensive difference maker that Ronnie Brewer is becoming. You drop him down in the Raptors system and he won't have the extra something to overcome the incompetence of many of those around him in the rotation. Ronnie Brewer has the know how but he also has elite athleticism. Ronnie is going to be an elite defender when he hits his prime. That's my guess. You sign him and in a couple years the Raptors will have one of the most explosive defensive wing parings in the league in him and DeMar.

Comment

Given the Raps current roster, and trying to envision how the roster may look come October, I would think that, having now though about it a touch more, a Raps MLE signing that accomplishes one of the following three things for us would be a success in my opinion.

1) Defensive and quick 1, 2 or 3 that can shoot the 3 ball.
                              2) Veteran 2-guard with a high IQ that leads and compels Derozan and Weems to get better.
                              3) A "glue-guy" SF that would in general help the second unit play better (ie, matches well with the projected 2nd quarter players), and can hit the occasional clutch shot.

Not sure who those players might be....do any of the previously mentioned fit any of those 3 slots?

Comment

You are all so completely wrong. The Raps are going to sign Ryan Gomes, do your homework.

Comment

Working...
                                X