Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realist wrote: View Post
    They are both tremendous defenders.
    Barnes is an average defender at best who greatly benefited by having Superman cover his ass. Prior to his time with Orlando he was average at best. Unfortunately the Raptors don't have Superman playing center for them, but more like Lois Lane.

Actually Bargnani has shown he can play some one on one defense but then Lois didn't do to badly with Clark.

Brewer is better than Barnes but he is a wing guy that can't shoot and can't rebound. His entire game is based upon his athleticism. He is a young Antoine Wright without a three point shot.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jul 5, 2010, 01:26 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

He's a younger Antoine Wright? I think that's way off. Wright doesn't get steals for one. Brewer averages 1.5 steals per game for his career. That's only in 26 MPG. He grabs 3RPG for his career, which isn't bad and although he isn't a great shooter he doesn't take bad shots, evident by his career 52% FG. Brewer is the true definition of a glue guy.

One more thought, who cares about his long range shooting. Do you want to fix the defense or add offense? What's more important?

Comment

Buddahfan your way off on Brewer. Athletically he is two times the athlete that wright is. Vertical jump shows it Brewer -40 inch wright - 30 inch. Brewer is 3 years younger and much better player alround then wright. Brewers dad played in the nba and I think Brewer is athletic enough to back up Turk. Brewer is also strong and fast and has a nice simple offensive game. Childress and Brewer are my two prefered choices then Barnes, Gomez and Riddick.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          I'm sorry, on another thread you're arguing that the Raptors should start Marcus Banks because the most important thing for the Raptors is defense, but then you turn around here and say you think they should sign J.J. Reddick????

ANYONE who has complained about the Raptors defense should not be pining for a below average defensive player to be signed by the Raptors.
          Acually from what I've been reading Reddick is not nearly as bad defensively as people like to think. This is from David Thorpe

I find it absurd that you think JJ can not guard any starting two guard in the NBA. A good defender’s foundation is typically built on toughness, disposition, and intelligence. I have no doubt about his toughness and intelligence, and his disposition to defend should not be a problem if his coach tells him that he won’t be playing without trying to defend.
          http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...thinks-jj.html

Now this was written a few years ago, but I see no reason that this doesn't still apply to Reddick. He may not be the best defender in the league, but he's ahead of where DeRozen was last season and I don't think he will hurt us defensively as much as you make out.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            Acually from what I've been reading Reddick is not nearly as bad defensively as people like to think. This is from David Thorpe

http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...thinks-jj.html

Now this was written a few years ago, but I see no reason that this doesn't still apply to Reddick. He may not be the best defender in the league, but he's ahead of where DeRozen was last season and I don't think he will hurt us defensively as much as you make out.
            don't think Reddick is as bad defensively as people think, but he's still below average. You just need to watch him to see that. And Howard makes anyone look better. Reddick simply doesn't have the physical abilities to be even an average defender, I don't think. DeRozan struggled defensively mostly because he was a rookie. He's got the ability to be an above average defender and showed that in the last part of his year in college.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Redick is not a bad defender, he's very good at chasing people on screens and is quick enough to hold his own. Nothing lockdown, but not bad. His size is an issue, but he's so far managed to hold off people from exploiting him in the post (maybe because of D12, I don't know). The ball-handling is poor and he can't finish at the rim. Long story short, he's a backup.

Comment

outlaw is a good player for the mle. but, he's not going to be anything other than a solid bench player.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                  outlaw is a good player for the mle. but, he's not going to be anything other than a solid bench player.
                  Outlaw would be great for MLE. He might even serve to replace Turkoglu eventually.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    He's a younger Antoine Wright? I think that's way off. Wright doesn't get steals for one. Brewer averages 1.5 steals per game for his career. That's only in 26 MPG. He grabs 3RPG for his career, which isn't bad and although he isn't a great shooter he doesn't take bad shots, evident by his career 52% FG. Brewer is the true definition of a glue guy.

One more thought, who cares about his long range shooting. Do you want to fix the defense or add offense? What's more important?
                    Wow, couldn't have said it better. I completely agree with Appolo here. As long as he is taking high percentage shots, who cares if he can hit the 3 ball. Another strong point made is that were trying to fix our defence not offence, so who cars if he can't shoot from 3. Personally i'd take Brewer in a heartbeat. Gomes would not be all that bad either.
                    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

honestly i hope its jj as well......we need somebody off the bench who can hit the open shot as well as drain the 3 with consistency unlike some former raptors (cough cough kapono) but i wouldnt mind seeing barnes as well

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        You could say the same for every other FA mentioned. Besides, I think Outlaw certainly has the talent to be a starter.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          You could say the same for every other FA mentioned. Besides, I think Outlaw certainly has the talent to be a starter.
                          ya, me too. but, more effective off the bench. i think he's kind of like battier
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
                            honestly i hope its jj as well......we need somebody off the bench who can hit the open shot as well as drain the 3 with consistency unlike some former raptors (cough cough kapono) but i wouldnt mind seeing barnes as well
                            That sort of sounds like Marco Belinelli - who is 2 years younger and has a career 3 pt % within .04 of JJ.

Though you did mention "consistency", but I think if his minutes were more consistant that would help.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
                              no please no kapono 2.0 . Though reddick is better then Kapono but hes still not what the raptors need
                              ya dun noe

Comment

What about Kyle Korver?

Comment

Working...
                                X