Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Need to Consider Beasley

Raps need to get on beasley
    i honestly think he isa great player with lots of potential and has just taken a bad rap in the last season or so
    either way it seems as if miami wants to/will dish him off for anything they can get there hands on.....

turk
    cald
    or
    bosh
    cald

for
    beasley
    chalmers
    and picks

this needs to happen
    our best option

He's immensely talented, has tremendous upside, but we all know BC hates guys who score low on the character and chemistry scale. Beasley couldn't have been given away to 28 other teams this passed off-season, that has to tell you something we the fans don't know, that everyone in the leagues inner circles know.

Comment

Talent-wise, he's a good player, but somehow everybody seems to hate him.

I can't understand how a guy who just finished his second year putting up pretty good numbers gets to have such a bad rap. I wouldn't have an issue with Beasley coming here, he's got some personal character issues but it's not like he's a disruptive player who's looking to cause shit.

Comment

There has been some reporting/speculation that Beasley actually has a medical condition (bipolar disorder) which lends to severe mood swings. I dont think this mixes very well when he is also known to enjoy a few hits of the weed. He was hospitalized prior to the past season and the reasons were not officially released. Pity (and kind of dicey for trade purposes) if true.

Comment

Here are some Heat numbers from last season for Beasley. From this it seems pretty clear that the Heat were a better team with him off the court then they were with him on the court especially on defense. Even on the offense the Heat were better with Beasley off the court then they were with him on the court.

Stat------------------------------ON Court--------OFF Court-------Net
          ================================================== ==========
          Minutes----------------------------2326---------------1648--------58.00%
          Offense: Pts per 100 Poss.------107.3--------------109.4--------(2.2)
          Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.------107.3--------------102.4---------5.0
          Net Points per 100 Possessions--(0.1)-----------------7.0--------(7.1)
          Effective FG%-------------------49.60%-------------49.50%-------0.10%
          Effective FG% Allowed---------49.30%-------------46.10%-------3.20%

http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIA11.HTM
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The thing I remember from watching a few Heat games is that he was always benched in the 4th quarter. I know that's not rare for a 2nd year player but the announcers always seemed to bring it up.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Ah yes, the on/off stats. Since when did they become the Bible of player evaluation? According to on/offs, the Heat fared better when Udonis Haslem was off the court on both offense and defense. The FG% on both sides bear that out too, try telling that to Pat Riley. J.J. Hickson's on/offs are brutal, but he still was a big part of the Cavs second unit all season.

I'm not dismissing the stat, but putting it out there as final proof of Beasley's suckiness doesn't sound right. The guy obviously has talent, there's no denying that.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                Ah yes, the on/off stats. Since when did they become the Bible of player evaluation? According to on/offs, the Heat fared better when Udonis Haslem was off the court on both offense and defense. The FG% on both sides bear that out too, try telling that to Pat Riley. J.J. Hickson's on/offs are brutal, but he still was a big part of the Cavs second unit all season.

I'm not dismissing the stat, but putting it out there as final proof of Beasley's suckiness doesn't sound right. The guy obviously has talent, there's no denying that.
                We just totally disagree on how to value basketball players. Fair enough and maybe we should leave it at that. People either like to use advanced stats in valuing athletes or they don't like to use them. The two types are world's apart. You can't have a intelligent discussion or debate between a person who relies extensively on advanced stats and in combination with what he sees on the court and a person who relies on simple stats and what he sees on the court. The reason is simple. They two advocates are looking for different things when they watch a game.

As to who is correct there is no way to prove that unless both parties agree on a way to determine that, which in the case of the those that rely on advanced stats as opposed to those that rely on simple stats is impossible.

So the whole discussion becomes a total waste of time and energy on both parties parts.

Are you going to Amir's signing party on Friday?
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Jul 6, 2010, 11:47 PM.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Is he above average defensively? No? Then I don't see why he should be on the Raptors.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Is he above average defensively? No? Then I don't see why he should be on the Raptors.
                    Do we even have an average defender on this roster? Maybe Sonny? Bargs isn't too bad either, despite what the fan base leads you to believe.

Comment

Realist wrote: View Post
                      Do we even have an average defender on this roster? Maybe Sonny? Bargs isn't too bad either, despite what the fan base leads you to believe.
                      Sonny and Amir are good defenders. Belinelli, despite his inconsistency, is actually a pretty good defender. Jack is at least average. Davis and Alabi hopefully will be good defenders. Bargnani certainly is NOT a good defender. He's a pretty good post defender, when motivated, but he struggles against face up players, doesn't box out, and is an absolutely, positively horrible team defender. I'm sorry, but there''s simply no debating this. Even Colangelo admitted this.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i think we are in to see a change from bc now that bosh is leaving he's saying now i'm going to build this team my way and stop trying to build around this guy.

i'm interested to say the least.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          We just totally disagree on how to value basketball players. Fair enough and maybe we should leave it at that. People either like to use advanced stats in valuing athletes or they don't like to use them. The two types are world's apart. You can't have a intelligent discussion or debate between a person who relies extensively on advanced stats and in combination with what he sees on the court and a person who relies on simple stats and what he sees on the court. The reason is simple. They two advocates are looking for different things when they watch a game.

As to who is correct there is no way to prove that unless both parties agree on a way to determine that, which in the case of the those that rely on advanced stats as opposed to those that rely on simple stats is impossible.

So the whole discussion becomes a total waste of time and energy on both parties parts.

Are you going to Amir's signing party on Friday?
                          I value advanced stats, I just don't think they're authoritative which many find them to be. I did give two examples to support what I said, I'm sure you can give me other examples to support what you say, which really means they're to be taken with a grain of salt.

Depending on where it is, I might swing by.

Comment

Arse:
                            -------------
                            I agree with you about HIckson's hands though after watching K. Brown play more than I ever wanted to Hickson's hands are not all that bad by comparison Though I am not sure what Hickson's hands have to do with Beasley. Maybe you can help me out in understanding the connection.

As far as Haslem goes he is a slightly above average PF. I think his minutes are elevated for three reasons.

1. He is tight with Wade so that influences his playing time etc.
                            2. He is liked by the other players and coaches and from what I understand is a positive locker room influence.
                            3. The Heat had no superior big to play in his stead.
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jul 7, 2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Arse:
                              -------------
                              I agree with you about HIckson's hands though after watching K. Brown play more than I ever wanted to Hickson's hands are not all that bad by comparison Though I am not sure what Hickson's hands have to do with Beasley. Maybe you can help me out in understanding the connection.

As far as Haslem goes he is a slightly above average PF. I think his minutes are elevated for three reasons.

1. He is tight with Wade so that influences his playing time etc.
                              2. He is liked by the other players and coaches and from what I understand is a positive locker room influence.
                              3. The Heat had no superior big to play in his stead.
                              Who mentioned Hickson's hands? I didn't.

And yes, Haslem is a slightly above average PF, but isn't that what Johnson is at best too? At least at this point in his career?

Look at their head-to-head last year (PER36 and Advanced). They had very comparable seasons. Udonis did play more minutes, but so would have Amir if he had managed to stay on the court. It's not like there's a minutes bias from the coach here, simple matter of being able to stay on the court.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...y.cgi?id=IRWlt

Comment

Working...
                              X