Triano's Over His Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano's Over His Head

Courtesy of John Hollinger via supersub from the RealGM.

OK, we need to stop mincing words and call this what it is: Jay Triano is in over his head, and if the Raptors don't do something about it, it will cost them their best player this summer. The 146 points Wednesday night by Atlanta was the latest ridiculous example of Toronto's defensive ineptitude, and while the roster composed by Bryan Colangelo is far from ideal in this respect, this should not be the worst defensive team in history. Right now it is.

Getting defensive effort from players is one of the basic measuring sticks for an NBA coach, and Triano has failed miserably in this respect. The carping in the locker room following Wednesday's defeat spoke volumes -- players were basically begging the coaching staff to go through the film and go over the mistakes so they could correct them. Which makes one wonder what on earth the Raps were doing for the first quarter of the season while opponents conducted layup drills at their expense.

There's an added urgency for the Raps because of Chris Bosh's impending free agency -- if the Raptors can't show substantial improvement, he's probably a goner after the season. And it appears there's no chance of Toronto's showing that kind of progress under Triano. It would be a desperation move to change conductors at the 20-game mark, but I'm not sure the Raptors' situation gives them much of a choice.

I know Chris Bosh wants to have stability in the dressing room and he supported the extension of Jay Triano. He was on board for him being extended but given the performance to date, I'm sure he would be on board for him leaving as well...

Comment

The evidence against Triano is strong.

The team is regressing as the season moves along and Triano doesn't know what to do.

And the players are saying as much!

Frank, Frank, Frank!
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I thin I would like to weigh in and suggest that I am not sure I value the opinion of players who are unwilling to execute the system in place. I look at the "system" or "scheme" that is being utilized, and frankly, if you move your feet, go over the pick and rotate efficiently, then there is no reason that this can't be effective.

Denver does the exact same thing!!!

I was not a fan of the straight switch against Phoenix, but, at the end of the day, most of these losses come down to execution and effort. Triano has been patient, but I think his moves should be dictated by what he sees on the floor, and not the crying he hears the dressing room.

Comment

Gusser wrote: View Post
          I thin I would like to weigh in and suggest that I am not sure I value the opinion of players who are unwilling to execute the system in place. I look at the "system" or "scheme" that is being utilized, and frankly, if you move your feet, go over the pick and rotate efficiently, then there is no reason that this can't be effective.

Denver does the exact same thing!!!

I was not a fan of the straight switch against Phoenix, but, at the end of the day, most of these losses come down to execution and effort. Triano has been patient, but I think his moves should be dictated by what he sees on the floor, and not the crying he hears the dressing room.
          Well said Gusser and welcome the RR Forums.

As Colangelo said today in Grange's article, "talk is cheap".

Its time for these guys to step up to the plate and let their actions do the talking and not their mouths.

Comment

Working...
          X