Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Raptors Pursue a S&T with Miami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Priest wrote: View Post
    why bother adding Chalmers or Beasley when we can work out some potentially better deals with other teams later on in the offseason. Not everything has to be done in the first 2 weeks of free agency. Correct me if im wrong but isnt our pick lottery protected anyways this year? And if we keep Hedo and he manages to up his trade value right until the deadline by playing better we could grab a late first rounder from a team that is playoff bound and would love his presence. OK maybe a 2nd rounder but who knows, all i know is that Miami is probably going to use their assets for other things now
    If the Raptors do nothing else and don't do a sign and trade, they will be barely under the cap, certainly not enough to take back salary. With a trade exception, the Raptors would be able to help teams looking for cap relief, or perhaps package a smaller contract for a bigger one. The point is they have more flexibility with a trade exception.

And if Toronto can give the Heat something they can use, like TUrkoglu or Calderon, they they very well might bite.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Priest wrote: View Post
      Apparently on my twitter feed there is a RUMOUR from ESPN radio in florida that an S&T is in place for tomorrow where Toronto lands Beasley and 2 1st rd Draft picks...im still looking for a website but that isnt so bad i guess if its true
      Michael Grange just had this to say via Twitter:

And now some pretty solid confirmation from a pretty solid source: S and T for Beasley NOT in play right now.

Comment

Liston wrote: View Post
        1) To move's Beasley's salary in order to sign either Lebron or other players.
        2) To convince Bosh to take a lower starting salary - but with 10% increases AND six years (instead of five).

Miami could achieve both objectives and simply give us back our protected 1st round pick. Plus we would have a large TPE. This is a likely scenario and both teams would be getting something.
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH i dont know what'z funnier, convincing a player to take less money or just giving away a 1st round draft pick....

miami has nothing to gain when they already got bosh for nothing... if i was riley i would just not pick up my phone for the next 5 hours.. sign bosh and wade at 12:01a and done.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          And if Toronto can give the Heat something they can use, like TUrkoglu or Calderon, they they very well might bite.
          why would ANY TEAM want to take jose or hedo's contract off our hands?

what would make miami want to to pay jose $30 million over the next 3 years or hedo $40 million over the next 4 years ?

who would want to pay that when they already have 2 max players ?

aint nobody gona bite on nothing

Comment

I still don't see the logic in stating that the Heat would want to give up one large contract (Beasley) only to replace it with another (Turkoglu).

Miami wants to get rid of Beasley's contract and trade away Chalmers and a pick so that they can maximize their flexibility in building a team around Wade and Bosh. There's no way they're going to pick up Raptors castoffs, and there's REALLY no way they're going to offer Toronto back their pick.

They wanted Bosh. They've got Bosh. What possible incentive could we offer them to take Calderon or Turk? It doesn't make any sense. The ONLY thing I could see Miami agreeing to is to give us Beasley and a trade exception. Beyond that is simply wishful thinking.

Comment

"Bosh's agent, Henry Thomas, reached out to Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo earlier Wednesday, after Bosh announced his decision, and now Riley and Colangelo are discussing a potential sign-and-trade, a league source told Broussard."

-via ESPN NBA writing staff on ESPN Chicago

Source - http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ory?id=5360911

I only saw this for the first time tonight on hoopshype.com, and it was posted about 2 hours ago which makes me feel as though this is fairly legitimate.
              I've given a lot of thought to whether or not a sign and trade would be in the Raptors best interests. Considering where the Raptors are right now, in the middle of a serious rebuilding process, it is critical that the Raptors are able to get something back. Particularly draft picks. The Raptors have handcuffed themselves with 3 large contracts. In the event that neither Hedo, nor Jose leave Toronto the Raptors will need to build through the draft. Of particular importance is the Raptors draft pick in 2011. The Raptors should expect a difficult upcoming season and in the even that the Raptors don't make the playoffs it's absolutely vital that they have their lottery pick available to them. Beyond that everything's been said about the TPE and the Beasley situation has been discussed to death. Personally I would welcome Beasley. There's no threat beyond him having a negative effect in a young locker room with no veteran presence...(sh*t)...beyond that though there's no risk. He's still on his rookie contract and if he plays well to start the season he could very easily fall back into the good graces of league GMs. No matter how you spin it BC has to find a way to complete this S&T. Hopefully tomorrow will reveal more details.

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                I still don't see the logic in stating that the Heat would want to give up one large contract (Beasley) only to replace it with another (Turkoglu).

Miami wants to get rid of Beasley's contract and trade away Chalmers and a pick so that they can maximize their flexibility in building a team around Wade and Bosh. There's no way they're going to pick up Raptors castoffs, and there's REALLY no way they're going to offer Toronto back their pick.

They wanted Bosh. They've got Bosh. What possible incentive could we offer them to take Calderon or Turk? It doesn't make any sense. The ONLY thing I could see Miami agreeing to is to give us Beasley and a trade exception. Beyond that is simply wishful thinking.
                Okay, let's break this down. Miami needs certain types of players around Wade and Bosh. Beasley is not that type of player. Miami has apparently attempted to unload Beasley and failed. Toronto can offer to take Beasley in exchange for a player who CAN play beside Bosh and Wade, like Calderon. Calderon would help the Heat far more than Beasley would. So would Turkoglu. Yes, it would mean taking on their longer contract, but the Heat are not exactly going to be saving for next season. Basically, if Toronto doesn't take Beasley, they may be stuck with him, and they'd still have to fill out their roster. If Toronto agrees to take Beasley for Calderon, for example, then they upgrade for only a couple more million and still have enough cap room to sign someone else.

It is in Miami's best interests because they get a player who can help them now, fills a role much better than Beasley does, and still have enough left over for another player.

Make sense?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It is in Miami's best interests because they get a player who can help them now, fills a role much better than Beasley does, and still have enough left over for another player.
                  Make sense?
                  Nope.

Miami doesn't need "another" player. They need eight or nine. Giving up Beasley only to replace him with Calderon means they'd actually have LESS money to fill the remainder of the roster... and with all due respect, but if a lottery team like the Raps doesn't want Calderon, why do you think an instant contender like the Heat would want him? Everybody in the NBA has seen him play defence by now.

And if the rumours about LeBron going to Miami are true, then they have even LESS reason to want an overpaid, backup PG with a long-term contract.

Comment

Nope.

Miami doesn't need "another" player. They need eight or nine. Giving up Beasley only to replace him with Calderon means they'd actually have LESS money to fill the remainder of the roster... and with all due respect, but if a lottery team like the Raps doesn't want Calderon, why do you think an instant contender like the Heat would want him? Everybody in the NBA has seen him play defence by now.

And if the rumours about LeBron going to Miami are true, then they have even LESS reason to want an overpaid, backup PG with a long-term contract.
                    Yes, they need eight or nine players, but at the very least, they need a few pretty good ones and then can fill out the rest of the roster with scrubs. Teams are overpaying for free agents and Miami is probably not going to be able to afford good players without overpaying. Calderon works well with Bosh, already, and can most definitely be a starter on a team with Wade and Bosh.

I'm not saying it's a surefire plan, but it does make some sense.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

and with all due respect, but if a lottery team like the Raps doesn't want Calderon, why do you think an instant contender like the Heat would want him? Everybody in the NBA has seen him play defence by now.
                      This is not a comment on why the Heat would want Calderon, but the whole "if a lottery team doesn't want so and so why would a contender want him" needs to be squashed. Obviously, different players fit different teams better. It's like saying Orlando should not have signed Barnes because Golden State didn't want him, or possibly the reverse, that every team should want Matt Bonner because San Antonio wanted him. There's a reason basketball is a team game.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        This is not a comment on why the Heat would want Calderon, but the whole "if a lottery team doesn't want so and so why would a contender want him" needs to be squashed. Obviously, different players fit different teams better. It's like saying Orlando should not have signed Barnes because Golden State didn't want him, or possibly the reverse, that every team should want Matt Bonner because San Antonio wanted him. There's a reason basketball is a team game.
                        Just to emphasis this point. Calderon didn't fit well with the Raptors last season because his weaknesses was also the Raptors biggest weakness. Calderon is an above average shooter, passer and at running an offense. On a stronger defensive team, his lack of defensive wouldn't be as much of a problem. Tony Parker isn't a very good defensive player, but on the Spurs, it doesn't matter so much because they are a strong defensive team. Had Parker been on the Raptors, he would have been the punching bag for a lot of fans.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

if they can help us in finding a way in getting rid of turkoglu and calderon and we can find a way of not obtaining beasley for any longer than before the season starts yes.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                          X