Raps Cap Situation w/o Bosh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps Cap Situation w/o Bosh?

So, can anyone enlighten me as to what the cap situation is? I know that signing Amir puts the Raps around the cap, but since the Raps have Amir's Bird rights, could they hold off on signing him, sign someone else with their cap space, then sign Amir afterwards?

Does someone have time to research this? I'm assuming that no S&T takes place.

If there's no sign and trade, the Raptors, after Amir is signed, will be approximately $10 million under the cap, as far as I can determine.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Toronto salaries

Plus Amir's ~$7m/yr contract. Then assuming the cap is at $58m... we'd be looking at ~$3m under the cap? I could be wrong.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        If there's no sign and trade, the Raptors, after Amir is signed, will be approximately $10 million under the cap, as far as I can determine.
        This is assuming the cap holds on Wright, Rasho and POB come off (total of $8M), which is a fair assumption. They could use that money to sign FAs, or they could engineer a sign-and-trade and get players that way (and remain over the cap), in which case they'd have an MLE to use.

The Raps at the very minimum need a real PG, a small forward, and probably another wing player. I can't see $10M buying good quality ones of those. I'd back on BC going the trade-route.

BTW, this page on the site has all NBA salaries including cap-holds etc:

http://raptorsrepublic.com/team/toro...tors-salaries/

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
          Toronto salaries

Plus Amir's ~$7m/yr contract. Then assuming the cap is at $58m... we'd be looking at ~$3m under the cap? I could be wrong.
          You're forgetting cap-holds of our FAs.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            You're forgetting cap-holds of our FAs.
            Um, Arsenalist (and Tim W), where are you guys getting your $10 mil figure? The salaries for next year (not including Alabi), will already add up to $54+ mil. That leaves about ~$3 mil as TRX said (and thus only MLE). The cap holds of our FAs (Nesterovic, Wright, etc.) are not included in that figure. Are you guys double counting?

Comment

Any news on that unnamed free agent we were suppose to sign but didn't
              ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                Any news on that unnamed free agent we were suppose to sign but didn't
                Free agent signings start tomorrow.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  Um, Arsenalist (and Tim W), where are you guys getting your $10 mil figure? The salaries for next year (not including Alabi), will already add up to $54+ mil. That leaves about ~$3 mil as TRX said (and thus only MLE). The cap holds of our FAs (Nesterovic, Wright, etc.) are not included in that figure. Are you guys double counting?
                  Ya, my mistake. I had originally got that number yesterday when Calderon was rumoured to be included and then forgot to adjust it. What can I say. It's been a long, hot day here.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Ya, my mistake. I had originally got that number yesterday when Calderon was rumoured to be included and then forgot to adjust it. What can I say. It's been a long, hot day here.
                    I hear you. Let's put this in the same bucket as me forgetting how many years Amir played with the Pistons.

Comment

With no real point guards in NYC, do you think that the knicks would pursue Calderon or Jack? I know that it hinges on LBJ tomorrow (ie. if he chooses Bulls, Heat or Cavs), the Knicks may go after one of ours. Stoudemire needs a good PG (they're already going after Ridnour).

It would be ideal if we have Jack and Hedo left behind although instincts tell me that if other teams get desperate, they may ask for Hedo as well. If there's takers for Hedo, I don't see how BC won't unload him.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        Sorry, I thought the "total" here included Bosh's contract. It didn't.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...WXpSdWc&gid=30

So our total salary is $47,925,450, the cap is $58M. Depending on what the first year of Amir's contract will be, we'll be $3-5M under the cap, which means we have our mid-level.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                          Sorry, I thought the "total" here included Bosh's contract. It didn't.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...WXpSdWc&gid=30

So our total salary is $47,925,450, the cap is $58M. Depending on what the first year of Amir's contract will be, we'll be $3-5M under the cap, which means we have our mid-level.
                          Don't forget Ed Davis! But yes, either way, we will only have the MLE.

Comment

Posted in another thread but useful here:

20. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $49.5 million, and a team has $43 million committed to salaries. They also have a Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a Traded Player exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $53.5 million, or $4 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use their exceptions.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $43 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).
                            Source: Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ

My recommendation would be for anyone in doubt about anything cap related please consult Larry Coon's FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                            X