"Progress" with S&T; Will Be for Picks, Cash and TPE, Not Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Progress" with S&T; Will Be for Picks, Cash and TPE, Not Players

According to David Aldridge of TNT, any S&T with Miami will involve picks, cash and a traded player exception. No players.

http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/18003913736

Ken Berger is reporting "progress" on a trade:

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.co...38893/23069546

The Raptors and Heat are "progressing" toward a sign-and-trade arrangement to facilitate Chris Bosh's desire to join Dwyane Wade in Miami, a person with knowledge of the talks told CBSSports.com Wednesday night.

The most likely scenario, according to the source, would send draft picks and massive trade exception to Toronto -- but not Michael Beasley. The former No. 2 pick, whom the Heat want to trade to create more cap space for a third max signing as they try to lure LeBron James, has been included in some of the potential deals discussed. But Toronto has been decidedly cold on the notion of taking Beasley in a trade for Bosh.

"It's not likely," the person with knowledge of the discussions said.

The Raptors would get back the 2011 first-round pick they previously traded to Miami, plus additional future picks and a trade exception they would then use to acquire a player without sending back comparable salary. The Heat only have one other player on their roster to trade, point guard Mario Chalmers.

I wonder if that means Miami doesn't want Jose or Turk. Maybe they don't want to take on those contracts?

Comment

The idea that us giving away Calderon or Turk for nothing would somehow make the team better is surprisingly prevalent.

Comment

If Miami is intent on clearing cap room to sign Lebron, why would they agree to send cash, picks and a trade exemption? That wouldn't help them at all. It would help Toronto, it would help Bosh, but it wouldn't do anything to clear cap space for the Heat. Whereas if they sent Beasley PLUS the aforementioned picks etc, that would help everyone concerned, right? So my guess is that if BC wants to get something done, that's what he'll have to do. Am I right on this, or am I missing something?

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
          If Miami is intent on clearing cap room to sign Lebron, why would they agree to send cash, picks and a trade exemption? That wouldn't help them at all. It would help Toronto, it would help Bosh, but it wouldn't do anything to clear cap space for the Heat. Whereas if they sent Beasley PLUS the aforementioned picks etc, that would help everyone concerned, right? So my guess is that if BC wants to get something done, that's what he'll have to do. Am I right on this, or am I missing something?
          It's a question of BC not wanting Beasley, not Miami's insistence to hang on to him.

Comment

This how it went down....

B.C says to Bosh you got 6 choices here they are ______,________, etc

if you want your max money pick one of these....

Bosh says I want to go to Miami

BC says no can do

Riley say to Bosh dont worry I handle BC you just anounce you signed here and we got him by the balls

Bosh to Pat yes sir....

BC........Oh fuck Bosh broke his word were screwed....

10 minutes later

Riley and Bosh agent call BC 3 way and say two things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo and sign and trade??

and here we are...
            Last edited by it is what it is; Wed Jul 7, 2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Ha, that's probably a good summation of it. Though I wonder if Bosh actually told BC before Wade and him made plans to announce it at 12:30 on ESPN.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

lets just take beasley the picks and the trade exception I dont want Bosh gone without getting anything back. Does anyone else think Beasley is the most underrated player in the NBA right now? He still has loads of potential plus his contract is expiring so if we have to take beasley to get the draft picks I say do it..

Comment

S&T for Beasley anyway. Then trade him off for someone we want. This should be easy.
                  Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

I feel the same way about Beasley but the problem is obviously much bigger than anyone publicly knows. He should be a huge asset (especially with that contract) and NO ONE wants to touch him. Somethings up and I suspect Colangelo does not want him poisoning any of our "young gunz".

Comment

So I am here to assume that BC just doesn't want Beasley?! You can always trade him later if you are really unhappy with him!!!! Unlike Turkoglu, Beasley is young, cheap and with room to improve. In Toronto he will actually feel more welcome and will probably fit in with guys who are his own age.

Comment

I think it's to try and stop them from signing lebron.

Comment

Yes, it is in the Heat's interest to dump Beasley on someone (so they have room for LBJ), but if we take Beasley it also makes it easier for Miami to get all 3 FAs. Even if Miami agrees to a S&T without Beasley, they can still try to do a S&T with Cleveland involving Beasley or try trading Beasley to a team under the cap.

However, contrary to all the posts in this thread stating it being an easy job to trade Beasley for someone valuable later on, if you consider how much Miami wants to clear cap space, it should be evident that no team under the cap has been willing to take Beasley. It can also probably be assumed that Portland did not want Beasley for free (just the cap hit), or they could have traded Gomes for him. Personally, I don't think Beasley's contract would be that bad -- if it doesn't work out, he's only around for a year -- but it also does not look like there's any demand for him either. If people are unwilling to take him for free, how willing would they be to trade an asset we would consider valuable for him?

Comment

Raptoronto wrote: View Post
                            Somethings up and I suspect Colangelo does not want him poisoning any of our "young gunz".
                            agree with you sir.
                            Toronto is not a favorite destination among them American boys,
                            and Beasley would never want to be here and it's not hard to imagine him openly showing it if ever,
                            and directly /indirectly poisoning the minds of our young boys.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                              The idea that us giving away Calderon or Turk for nothing would somehow make the team better is surprisingly prevalent.
                              With the team obviously rebuilding, the idea is to get rid of long term contracts for players whose value will increase, not decrease. I like Calderon as much as anyone here and would love to see the Raptors keep him, but if by trading Calderon, the Raptors can get another first round pick in the high teens or low 20's, where I think the Heat may end up next year, and/or Mario Chalmers, I think it's worth it. It's not that Chalmers or the draft pick are worth more than Calderon, but at this point, they are to the Raptors.

Turkoglu simply has no place on a team that is rebuilding. He's already 30, isn't a great guy to have around young players with his laissez faire attitude and probably won't handle a losing team very well. At his age, the longer you keep him, the less likely other teams will want him with his contract.

LeBron isn't going to Miami, and if the Raptors take back Beasley, it's so Miami would also take back one of the Raptors larger contracts.

I wrote the quote below on another thread, but it explains why Miami would want to do a sign and trade with Toronto and take back Turkoglu or Calderon.

Okay, let's break this down. Miami needs certain types of players around Wade and Bosh. Beasley is not that type of player. Miami has apparently attempted to unload Beasley and failed. Toronto can offer to take Beasley in exchange for a player who CAN play beside Bosh and Wade, like Calderon. Calderon would help the Heat far more than Beasley would. So would Turkoglu. Yes, it would mean taking on their longer contract, but the Heat are not exactly going to be saving for next season. Basically, if Toronto doesn't take Beasley, they may be stuck with him, and they'd still have to fill out their roster. If Toronto agrees to take Beasley for Calderon, for example, then they upgrade for only a couple more million and still have enough cap room to sign someone else.

It is in Miami's best interests because they get a player who can help them now, fills a role much better than Beasley does, and still have enough left over for another player.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X