Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

The Raptors have signed Nuggets restricted free agent forward Linas Kleiza to a four-year, $20 million offer sheet, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

Kleiza terminated contract with Greece's Olympiacos Wednesday, but Denver will have seven days to match Toronto's offer.
    Source - Click here

No wonder why Bosh left Raptors, the Euro madness continues. I can imagine when BC told CB4 his plans: We will sign Kleiza, please came back, we will be a contender! CB4: Huh? Is he better than Wade or LeBron? BC: Duhhh ... He is Euro!!!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we please stop with the fucking racism? No, I'm not European, but this is getting ridiculous. Just because a player is Euro does NOT mean any of the following:

- He is unathletic
    - He is only good at zone defense and shooting
    - He is bad at defense
    - He is soft
    - He is not good enough for the NBA

The value of this signing will be on whether or not Kleiza can contribute on the defensive end and the glass. If not, it is a poor signing.

The timing is also odd. With the dust settling on major free agents, is it really a good idea to tie up our mid-level exception for 7 days?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Can we please stop with the fucking racism? No, I'm not European, but this is getting ridiculous. Just because a player is Euro does NOT mean any of the following:

- He is unathletic
    - He is bad at defense
    - He is soft

The value of this signing will be on whether or not Kleiza can contribute on the defensive end and the glass. If not, it is a poor signing.

The timing is also odd. With the dust settling on major free agents, is it really a good idea to tie up our mid-level exception for 7 days?
    I disagree. It has been proven that the European model does not work. Call it racism or whatever you want, but it is reality. I bet at this point these are the only players the Raptors can sign. Just a horrible team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post

- He is unathletic
    - He is bad at defense
    - He is soft

Dude, calm down ... where do you see the racism? I am an European myself, so stop being an asshole. Raptors stereotype to sign big contracts to mediocre European players pretty much affects the flexibility of Raptors future development.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax guys .... insight meant nothing by it. Anyhow, I hope you don't mind insight but I edited the title.

Anyhow, this is a solid signing with Kleiza. He's a gritty player, solid defender who has a nice outside touch too. I like this move alot.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Euro;;;

I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Relax guys .... insight meant nothing by it. Anyhow, I hope you don't mind insight but I edited the title.

Anyhow, this is a solid signing with Kleiza. He's a gritty player, solid defender who has a nice outside touch too. I like this move alot.
    Two questions:

1. If he's a great addition, is there any reason to believe the Nuggets won't match?

2. I've seen a couple comments about timing. Is BC creating a problem for himself by making the offer now, when he has so many other issues to address?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.
    I guess I'm in the minority, but how is Kleiza a bad signing. He's a physical player who isn't an amazing rebounder, but a decent one. Solid defender and has an offensive touch too. I actually wanted Colangelo to go after him years ago.

I guess its official then. I'm the president of the Kleiza "fan club".

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a solid rotation signing, but wait and see if Denver matches. I'm guessing they won't because Carmello wants them to add an all-star caliber starter.

Kleiza bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linas_Kleiza

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geebee wrote: View Post
    1. If he's a great addition, is there any reason to believe the Nuggets won't match?
    It's a reasonable offer, so there's a good chance Denver will match it. If they choose not too, good gain for us.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rev20002 wrote: View Post
    I disagree. It has been proven that the European model does not work. Call it racism or whatever you want, but it is reality. I bet at this point these are the only players the Raptors can sign. Just a horrible team.
    The Spurs have used overseas players for as long as I remember and none of Duncan, Parker or Ginolbli are American born players and when was the last time they were not among the best teams in the league? A decade and a half ago?
    Pau and Mark Gasol are arguably two of the best power forwards in the game and Dirk was the best in the game a few years back.
    European players are not bad, and I would even argue that our team was made much better a few years back by the presence of guys like Garbojosa and Rasho. Using Europeans has it's problems but it is not any less likely to succeed than using american payers.

I don't mind this signing if it goes through, not a terrible contract and he will be a good back up if we are keeping Hedo and could be a (weak) starter if we don't. I wonder what happens with Marco if we get this guy though since we'll have 5 swing men under contract.
    Last edited by hateslosing; Thu Jul 8th, 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: poor wording
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Refresh my memory but isn't he a PF? He's a decent signing but I'm not sure it's a real position of need. Does he have the skills to be a SF?
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Refresh my memory but isn't he a PF? He's a decent signing but I'm not sure it's a real position of need. Does he have the skills to be a SF?
    He is listed as a guard-forward by yahoo sports.
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3953
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

European players are not the problem as there are plenty of really good Euro players out there (the latest the comes to mind is Nicolas Batum), but rather BC's obsession (Maurizio as well) about them. Kleiza is nice but I'd rather have Outlaw (if healthy - and prolly cheaper too). I don't know anymore. I had an earlier post that alluded to the fact the BC will go down in flames with his Euros. It's just who he is I guess. Considering his game, I can't figure out why Kleinas didn't stick around Denver? It's not like they have a glut of SF's in Denver.

Hmmm, what's next, Ersan Ilyasova?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I've been on BC's side even after losing Bosh, but I really thought he had learned his lesson on his continuous obsession with the European players. This tells me that he is done in Toronto and is going to stick with what he laid out from the beginning and will just go down with it and quit/not resign/be fired at years end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    He can play both forward positions.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raps just lost its franchise player, are we really dillusional to think that we can convince any of the major FA to sign here if we can't even keep our own???

Kleiza is a good player, i think he'd fit in nicely with the Raps and I think this signals a possible move of Hedo. Let's wait and see what else BC has up his sleeve...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    The Spurs have used overseas players for as long as I remember and none of Duncan, Parker or Ginolbli are American born players and when was the last time they were not among the best teams in the league? A decade and a half ago?
    Pau and Mark Gasol are arguably two of the best power forwards in the game and Dirk was the best in the game a few years back.
    European players are not bad, and I would even argue that our team was made much better a few years back by the presence of guys like Garbojosa and Rasho. Using Europeans has it's problems but it is not any less likely to succeed than using american payers.

I don't mind this signing if it goes through, not a terrible contract and he will be a good back up if we are keeping Hedo and could be a (weak) starter if we don't. I wonder what happens with Marco if we get this guy though since we'll have 5 swing men under contract.
    I didn't say European players were bad. I said you can't use the "European Model", which means you can't have a team with half to more then half the roster being Europeans. The strategy has failed for the last three years.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure what to think. i'm fighting the urge to say 'typical BC signing' (er, attempted signing), but that's what it seems like...a guy he's liked for a while - check; euro - check; minimum 4 yrs - check; at least $5M (avg) per year - check.

not sure if denver is going to match, though they don't have much behind melo at the 3, even though they're probably reluctant to add long-term contracts (given that they'll be trying to re-sign melo), it wouldn't surprise me if they did. could be a case of them relying on feedback from melo as to whether it's worth it. of course, they may figure that they don't need to commit that term & $$ to a backup who they didn't like enough to keep from going to europe in the first place.

if this falls through though, does BC target childress next?
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

The Denver Nuggets have seven days to match the contract – which is four years and $20 million. No indication what they might do but they’re fighting tax issues, let him go once and it would be no surprise if they didn’t let him walk.

Who is he? A 6-8 small forward who played for Olympiakos in Greece last year after averaging 9.9 points a game with the Nuggets in 2008-09.

He’s a role player, does nothing spectacularly well but does add some depth to a spot where the Raptors need it.

The money seems about right, it takes almost all of Toronto’s mid-level exception out of play. The rest of the mid-level exception will go to Solomon Alabi, the second-round draft pick who’s going to get a bump from the minimum salary and a deal that’s multi-year but not fully guaranteed, I’m hearing.
    Little info on the signing and the player from Doug, he is also reporting that we are also trying to lock up Soloman for a longer term.

Source: Doug Smith

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information