Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority, but how is Kleiza a bad signing. He's a physical player who isn't an amazing rebounder, but a decent one. Solid defender and has an offensive touch too. I actually wanted Colangelo to go after him years ago.

I guess its official then. I'm the president of the Kleiza "fan club".
    Two years ago was a different story ... not to mention that last year, signing Kleiza instead of Hedon't would have much better options now, maybe CB4 convincing Wade to join Raptors, not the other way around .

Anyway, if this move is not follow-up by some major trades, I don't believe this is necessary a great move AT THIS TIME. Going for Kleiza NOW, it means BC will force again "the best team on paper" and we will end up maybe with 8th seed again and a late draft pick. Probably, BC is playing his last chance to improve the team before his contract is up.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rev20002 wrote: View Post
    I didn't say European players were bad. I said you can't use the "European Model", which means you can't have a team with half to more then half the roster being Europeans. The strategy has failed for the last three years.
    Considering Jose is likely gone and I wouldn't be surprised if Marco is packaged up somewhere in a deal too, that'll leave us with Bargs, Hedo and possibly Linas. Hardly half the roster. I think some of you are blowing the Euro/international thing way out of proportion because like some have mentioned, its the player, not where they are from.

Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    Raptors stereotype to sign big contracts to mediocre European players pretty much affects the flexibility of Raptors future development.
    No, signing any mediocre player to a big contract affects the flexibility of future development. Whether they are European, North American, South American, Asian, African, or Australian is irrelevant.

Kleiza played college ball in the states, and his style of play isn't really the stereotypical "Euro" game.

I'm not implying that you're necessarily prejudiced or anything, but to have the attitude of "don't sign any European players simply because they're European, and we've had dissappointing results from European players in the past" is somewhat ignorant. You've got to sign the players who are the best fit for your team, regardless of their origin. So, in that regard, if we were signing a Belinelli type or a Bargnani type, I would agree with you (although I would probably use some variation of the word "soft" rather than "Euro") But we aren't...that isn't Kleiza's style of play.

And to anyone that thinks this is a bad signing, consider this:

Kleiza got offered $5 million. He plays a position where we are short on talent, and in his last NBA season, averaged 22 minutes per game on a conference finals team.

Amir Johnson signed for almost $7 million. He plays the position where we are arguably deepest (although I recognize that isn't saying much), and in his last NBA season, averaged 18 minutes per game on a team that didn't make the playoffs.

So all in all, I would say we're getting pretty good value for a proven contributor.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jive wrote: View Post
    Little info on the signing and the player from Doug, he is also reporting that we are also trying to lock up Soloman for a longer term.

Source: Doug Smith
    i mean WHAT. THE. FUCK! what is the compulsive need to 'lock' guys up for longer terms &/or more money before they've done fuck-all? i like alabi as a prospect as the next guy, but jeezus krist, bryan, show a little fucking restraint. i dunno, maybe see if he recovers sufficiently from HepB and can actually play a bit before dolling out the cash.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i mean WHAT. THE. FUCK! what is the compulsive need to 'lock' guys up for longer terms &/or more money before they've done fuck-all? i like alabi as a prospect as the next guy, but jeezus krist, bryan, show a little fucking restraint. i dunno, maybe see if he recovers sufficiently from HepB and can actually play a bit before dolling out the cash.
    Haha, yeah, another one of BC's "get them before they are good" signings. Doesn't look like it will be fully guaranteed though so it might not be that big of a burden.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This was posted here in RR but at first I didn't believe in it because it sounded so conspiracy theory-ish. Perhaps Bryan in stocking up on Euros because they may be less likely to bolt south. That kinda blew up on his face with Turk though. Perhaps this is his way of "stemming" the tide.

Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding was that the HepB has been a long term issue, so it's not really a matter of recovering. He's played with it his whole life.

I agree on the wait and see mentality, but then you risk him actually contributing next year, and you could wind up with a situation like Wesley Matthews in Utah, who has played his way into a much more significant contract. So if Alabi is the steal many think he is, this could end up working to our advantage.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that Alabi has chronic Hep B, which means it's treatable, but is essentially a permanent condition. He isn't likely to "recover". From what I've read on it, he needs medication to treat it but it shouldn't otherwise impact his play.

No argument from me about BC locking up players, though. He'd better hope they get better.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I was hoping for Outlaw but I should have known better.

Colangelo!

When will the madness ever end?

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I thought Kleiza was older, but he's only 25 and younger than Outlaw.

I wasn't too excited to hear about this being the MLE signing that was hinted at a few days ago but I guess it's a solid one. Not really building for the future though can play and help right away.

Post Thanks / Like

since Denver is in luxury tax, if they decide to match the offer it would cost 10mil/yr. So it is very possible they don't match the offer. He played very well for Denver 2 years ago and IMO he worth the 5 mil/yr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    For some reason I thought Kleiza was older, but he's only 25 and younger than Outlaw.

I wasn't too excited to hear about this being the MLE signing that was hinted at a few days ago but I guess it's a solid one. Not really building for the future though can play and help right away.
    Doesn't hurt to have a veteran wing player to help spell DD and Sonny, while giving them some guidance

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont think its a euro signing. Kleiza is a proven NBA player who happened to go to europe last year coz the nuggets wont pay him what he wanted.

If you guys are so against euro players, then why do you want the Raps to get Childress? he's as much of a euro player as kleiza is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geebee wrote: View Post
    My understanding is that Alabi has chronic Hep B, which means it's treatable, but is essentially a permanent condition. He isn't likely to "recover". From what I've read on it, he needs medication to treat it but it shouldn't otherwise impact his play.

No argument from me about BC locking up players, though. He'd better hope they get better.
    you're right, i guess i shouldn't have used 'recover.' just a bit leery about guys with chronic medical conditions. i remember when adam morrison was coming into the league, and there was a bit of an issue with the fact that he's diabetic (not enough to see him fall in the draft, but it was a concern), but it got poo-pooed as nothing to be concerned with, that he knows his body & knows how to manage his condition. now, morrison may just suck (as a pro), but perhaps being diabetic has hindered him in some way. and perhaps having HepB will hinder alabi in some way...not saying it will, not saying it won't, but why not wait & see? yeah, he could turn out to be a fantastic player. quick: chances he becomes an all-star - greater than or less than 1%? so it's not a guaranteed contract - YAY! - it's still another example of overreaching in a contract offer. and people wonder why MLSE may not want to give the go-ahead to spend into the tax...shit, BC would be sending out 5yr/$40M contracts to the jennaro pargo's & keyon dooling's of the world (at the same time).

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a good signing, the guy is a decent gritty defender and a quick glance at his stats tells me he might put up 10pts/4-5 rebs a game coming off the bench...nothing wrong with that especially with that price tag so yeah good signing BC. I would have waited to use the MLE but he may know things we dont right now so overall that was a good thing to wake up to haha. As for saying our roster is full of Euros..These guys are in the NBA, doesnt matter where they are from or how many people not from America are on a roster, They are players and thats all that matters to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    i dont think its a euro signing. Kleiza is a proven NBA player who happened to go to europe last year coz the nuggets wont pay him what he wanted.

If you guys are so against euro players, then why do you want the Raps to get Childress? he's as much of a euro player as kleiza is.

uh, that's just dumb. linas was born & raised in lithuania. what makes him 'less' euro is his style of play & the fact he went to college in states.

childress has been in europe for what, a season (or is it two now)? how is that the 'same' as actually being european?

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

everything i know about kleiza, i learned from video games, and video games has taught me that kleiza is not well known enough to get a picture taken for the games, you can always pick him up for CHEAP, and he's a pretty good contributor with a really low pricetag.

i've only ever seen him play a couple of times, so i'll reserve judgement on him for now

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza had a very nice year for Olympiakos - In Europe they play in the local league and in the Euro-league in the same year. Hence the breakdown.

He averaged 17.1 ppg against Euro-league competition in 29.9 mpg. That is very good by Euro-league standards

In Greece
    -------------------------
    Games---------31
    MPG------------24.4
    PPG------------14.0
    FG%------------59.6%
    3PFG%---------37.4%
    FT%------------80.0%
    RPG------------5.1

In Euro-League
    -------------------------
    Games---------22
    MPG------------29.9
    PPG------------17.1
    FG%------------54.0%
    3PFG%---------34.9%
    FT%------------79.8%
    RPG------------6.5

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp...PlayerID=39804

This is a very good signing and hopefully he winds up with the Raptors

My guess is that Denver may match and BC would then try and work some kind of S&T. We shall see.

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason to think that either of Ronnie Brewer, Travis Outlaw or even Josh childress ( assuming they are the top FA in small forward position) are any better than Kleiza. They all have almost the same Point per 48 min and same reb per 48 min. So you guys stop judging him on base of where he is from and where he played last year.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    Source - Click here

No wonder why Bosh left Raptors, the Euro madness continues. I can imagine when BC told CB4 his plans: We will sign Kleiza, please came back, we will be a contender! CB4: Huh? Is he better than Wade or LeBron? BC: Duhhh ... He is Euro!!!
    Are you telling me that Linas Kleiza is who we are spending our MLE on?. BC has finally lost it.. This euro experiment is not working.. Where is MLSE, so they can fire this guy. BC is driving the Raptors to the ground, he is looking worse than Babcock.. By the way, that is classic overpaying BC.. (should ideally be paid half of that salary). The team is looking real terrible, right now..

Thread Information