Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

since Denver is in luxury tax, if they decide to match the offer it would cost 10mil/yr. So it is very possible they don't match the offer. He played very well for Denver 2 years ago and IMO he worth the 5 mil/yr.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
      For some reason I thought Kleiza was older, but he's only 25 and younger than Outlaw.

I wasn't too excited to hear about this being the MLE signing that was hinted at a few days ago but I guess it's a solid one. Not really building for the future though can play and help right away.
      Doesn't hurt to have a veteran wing player to help spell DD and Sonny, while giving them some guidance

Comment

i dont think its a euro signing. Kleiza is a proven NBA player who happened to go to europe last year coz the nuggets wont pay him what he wanted.

If you guys are so against euro players, then why do you want the Raps to get Childress? he's as much of a euro player as kleiza is.

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
          My understanding is that Alabi has chronic Hep B, which means it's treatable, but is essentially a permanent condition. He isn't likely to "recover". From what I've read on it, he needs medication to treat it but it shouldn't otherwise impact his play.

No argument from me about BC locking up players, though. He'd better hope they get better.
          you're right, i guess i shouldn't have used 'recover.' just a bit leery about guys with chronic medical conditions. i remember when adam morrison was coming into the league, and there was a bit of an issue with the fact that he's diabetic (not enough to see him fall in the draft, but it was a concern), but it got poo-pooed as nothing to be concerned with, that he knows his body & knows how to manage his condition. now, morrison may just suck (as a pro), but perhaps being diabetic has hindered him in some way. and perhaps having HepB will hinder alabi in some way...not saying it will, not saying it won't, but why not wait & see? yeah, he could turn out to be a fantastic player. quick: chances he becomes an all-star - greater than or less than 1%? so it's not a guaranteed contract - YAY! - it's still another example of overreaching in a contract offer. and people wonder why MLSE may not want to give the go-ahead to spend into the tax...shit, BC would be sending out 5yr/$40M contracts to the jennaro pargo's & keyon dooling's of the world (at the same time).
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

I think its a good signing, the guy is a decent gritty defender and a quick glance at his stats tells me he might put up 10pts/4-5 rebs a game coming off the bench...nothing wrong with that especially with that price tag so yeah good signing BC. I would have waited to use the MLE but he may know things we dont right now so overall that was a good thing to wake up to haha. As for saying our roster is full of Euros..These guys are in the NBA, doesnt matter where they are from or how many people not from America are on a roster, They are players and thats all that matters to me.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
              i dont think its a euro signing. Kleiza is a proven NBA player who happened to go to europe last year coz the nuggets wont pay him what he wanted.

If you guys are so against euro players, then why do you want the Raps to get Childress? he's as much of a euro player as kleiza is.

uh, that's just dumb. linas was born & raised in lithuania. what makes him 'less' euro is his style of play & the fact he went to college in states.

childress has been in europe for what, a season (or is it two now)? how is that the 'same' as actually being european?

Comment

everything i know about kleiza, i learned from video games, and video games has taught me that kleiza is not well known enough to get a picture taken for the games, you can always pick him up for CHEAP, and he's a pretty good contributor with a really low pricetag.

i've only ever seen him play a couple of times, so i'll reserve judgement on him for now

Comment

Kleiza had a very nice year for Olympiakos - In Europe they play in the local league and in the Euro-league in the same year. Hence the breakdown.

He averaged 17.1 ppg against Euro-league competition in 29.9 mpg. That is very good by Euro-league standards

In Greece
                  -------------------------
                  Games---------31
                  MPG------------24.4
                  PPG------------14.0
                  FG%------------59.6%
                  3PFG%---------37.4%
                  FT%------------80.0%
                  RPG------------5.1

In Euro-League
                  -------------------------
                  Games---------22
                  MPG------------29.9
                  PPG------------17.1
                  FG%------------54.0%
                  3PFG%---------34.9%
                  FT%------------79.8%
                  RPG------------6.5

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp...PlayerID=39804

This is a very good signing and hopefully he winds up with the Raptors

My guess is that Denver may match and BC would then try and work some kind of S&T. We shall see.

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

There is no reason to think that either of Ronnie Brewer, Travis Outlaw or even Josh childress ( assuming they are the top FA in small forward position) are any better than Kleiza. They all have almost the same Point per 48 min and same reb per 48 min. So you guys stop judging him on base of where he is from and where he played last year.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                      Source - Click here

No wonder why Bosh left Raptors, the Euro madness continues. I can imagine when BC told CB4 his plans: We will sign Kleiza, please came back, we will be a contender! CB4: Huh? Is he better than Wade or LeBron? BC: Duhhh ... He is Euro!!!
                      Are you telling me that Linas Kleiza is who we are spending our MLE on?. BC has finally lost it.. This euro experiment is not working.. Where is MLSE, so they can fire this guy. BC is driving the Raptors to the ground, he is looking worse than Babcock.. By the way, that is classic overpaying BC.. (should ideally be paid half of that salary). The team is looking real terrible, right now..

Comment

Wait, the Raptors signed a bench guy to a long-term deal? Hold on, I'll alert the media.
                        You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                          yeah, he could turn out to be a fantastic player. quick: chances he becomes an all-star - greater than or less than 1%? so it's not a guaranteed contract - YAY! - it's still another example of overreaching in a contract offer.
                          How overreaching is it? How many years does D. Smith mean by "multi-year"? Does anyone know? Or is anything over 1 year too much for you?
                          Last edited by Mess; Thu Jul 8, 2010, 10:26 AM.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Fire Alvin Williams,
                            Hire, Patrick Ewing
                            Sign Ewing JR to an entry level contract

The Young Gunz will improve defensivley, he's ready for the NBA. He just has not gotten a fair chance, great team for him to grow as an NBA player, if we get daddy on board he won't leave either.

Comment

Good point Buddha those are impressive stats for the euroleague. All you Euro bashers should remember that what this team has been severely missing is a guy like Garbo who last i checked was European. They're not all soft like Bargs or Turk. With all the white guys though the Raps are looking like the old Celtics, hopefully they can win like them too. Who needs the dream team, we got the cream team! lol

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                                How overreaching is it? How many years does D. Smith mean by "multi-year"? Does anyone know? Or is anything over 1 year too much for you?
                                well, we don't know yet...i guess i may be reading too much into it, but the fact that they'll be eating into the MLE to give alabi a higher contract than his draft position would normally dictate is annoying. i know that in the grand scheme of things, his contract is pretty much irrelevant, it's just the continuation of the same kind of approach.

BC's fans seem enamoured with the guy because he's not 'afraid' to pull whacky, complicated trades, or reach in terms of contracts for FAs, but sometimes the scariest thing is just being patient. i don't see the top GMs in the league running around every goddamn offseason trying to make big fancy trades or signing middling players to longer terms for more money on a continual basis. just doesn't seem to be an overly effective way to build a competitive, sustainable franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X