What ever happened to up-tempo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to up-tempo?

I was under the impresison that Triano/Iavaroni (and BC) liked a fluid up-tempo offense and earlier in the season this certainly seemed to be the case... so why have they gone away from pushing the ball up the court on every posession (including inbounds)? No one has disputed this teams offensive talents, so why are they not taking advantage of it?

Is it Hedo? Jose? Lack of conditioning?

I haven't been able to figure it out. Thoughts?

I don't know if they ever promised up-tempo basketball. All I remember from pre-season is how they focused on defense in every single practice. I think Triano gave the old cop-out answer when it come to up-tempo: "We'll run when the chance is there". That's a lot different than actually seeking out break and run opportunities.

Playing up-tempo/run 'n gun is a very hard thing to do, it requires good rebounding, high IQ players and a PG that initiates things early.

Not gonna happen in Toronto.

Comment

Depends on how you define "up tempo". As an actual style of offense? Perhaps a few times. "Up tempo" as in rushing things on offense? They've been doing that since day one which is quickly becoming the death of us. I've complained enough about clock management lately, but its getting more and more ridiculous and that we need to be more patient.

Right now we simply don't have the conditioning as you already mentioned abstract to run an up tempo style. Are guys just aren't quick enough.

Comment

The team has lost its way.

They have no focus on offense or defense, players are uncertain of what to do and when.

This is 100% on the coach.
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
        X