Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pieces we want...

So I think most of us will agree that the two biggest needs are:

1) Defensive, rebounding center.
    2) Defensive, uptempo point guard.

Here are some possible targets:

Center:
    a) Oden. Impossible to get from Portland, unfortunately.
    b) Gortat? Languishing on Orlando bench, can be acquired after the 15th (I think.)
    c) Joel Pryzbilla. Not sure if Portland has the depth for us to pull this off..

For point guards:
    Guards:
    a) I like Jerryd Bayless.
    b) I also like Andre Miller.

There is a whole other issue of how to acquire these players, and what we'd have to give up. But first, let's identify what pieces are needed.

Feel free to propose other suggestions.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm .... something tells me you think Portland is possibly a good suitor to potentially make deals with.

Eventhough he isn't a centre, I've always like Nick Collison from OKC. Decent defender, but a no nonsense kind of player. Great rebounder and a good hustle energy guy for a forward.

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of pieces to go after starting on Dec 15th.

I'd go after Noah!
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Post Thanks / Like

Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post
    I'd go after Noah!
    Noah's a pipe dream right now. I don't think we'd have any pieces besides Bosh that would really entice the Bulls to deal with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Noah's a pipe dream right now. I don't think we'd have any pieces besides Bosh that would really entice the Bulls to deal with us.
    If the Raps are going to trade to re-make the team - Bosh and his non-commitment to the Raps make him the guy to trade!

Bulls need Offense - Raps need Defense. There should be a deal there

Post Thanks / Like

If the Raps are going to trade to re-make the team - Bosh and his non-commitment to the Raps make him the guy to trade!

Bosh is as non-committed as LeBron and Wade are, can't hold that against him. He's doing what's best for him, we all would do the same in his place. A trade with Bosh and Noah as the centerpieces would be horribly bad for the Raptors unless Rose came with him somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raps Fan wrote: View Post
    Bosh is as non-committed as LeBron and Wade are, can't hold that against him. He's doing what's best for him, we all would do the same in his place. A trade with Bosh and Noah as the centerpieces would be horribly bad for the Raptors unless Rose came with him somehow.
    Or Deng?

Post Thanks / Like

So are you suggesting a Bargnani & Noah front court instead? Does anyone think Bargnani can play the PF spot? I don't know, but if we can again show some type commitment to Bosh that we're building a team of "better & more complimenting" players around him I want Bosh here much longer than anyone else on this team.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you suggesting a Bargnani & Noah front court instead? Does anyone think Bargnani can play the PF spot? I don't know, but if we can again show some type commitment to Bosh that we're building a team of "better & more complimenting" players around him I want Bosh here much longer than anyone else on this team.
    Noah & Bargs would commitment each other. They play opposite in style & position on the floor.

Noah would push Bosh back outside. Bosh the jump shooter again.

Noah would complement either Bosh or Bargs on the defensive end.

Bosh can hold the team up for ransom in the summer - a S&T with a gun to your head will not return the value of a mid-season trade to a team that believes they can re-sign Bosh.

Waiting for Bosh is a big risk that the team doesn't have to take. And Bosh isn't LeBron or Wade - the wait isn't worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon/Bargnani for Miller/Oden? Has some merit, but not sure how interest pritchard has in this. It satisfies a lot of problems for the Raptors, not sure how great it is for the blazers though.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon/Bargnani for Miller/Oden? Has some merit, but not sure how interest pritchard has in this. It satisfies a lot of problems for the Raptors, not sure how great it is for the blazers though.
    Dollars aren't close.

Miller is old.

Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me Oden is off limits right now. I think they're pretty happy with that Aldridge-Oden tandem. If their front court ain't broke, don't fix it. They have a nice mix of offense-defensive where we on the other hand have just offense from our front court duo of Bosh & Bargnani.

Bosh & Noah would be a great tandem, but as I mentioned before I don't think the Bulls are interested in someone like Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

At least call the Bobcats and see if D.J Augustin is available. Roy Hibbert would've been nice but Colangelo fucked that one up. Gortat is paid way too much, I think the draft is good for hustling big men. Samuel Dalembert would be a good defensive touch, Philly needs outside shooting, I'd dangle Calderon in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    At least call the Bobcats and see if D.J Augustin is available. Roy Hibbert would've been nice but Colangelo fucked that one up. Gortat is paid way too much, I think the draft is good for hustling big men. Samuel Dalembert would be a good defensive touch, Philly needs outside shooting, I'd dangle Calderon in front of them.
    Hibbert is back in the second unit because of his defense. He is just too slow.
    Not the guy the raps should looking for.

Dalembert would be a nice pick-up, the 15% trade kicker is a problem though.

Post Thanks / Like

DJ Augustin is in the Bobcat's doghouse right now but with Felton in a one year contract and with the posibility of him signing with other team, I don't see Charlotte trading him. Forget about Oden and Przybila, one is injured for the remainder of the season and the other will be their starting center for the rest of the season.
    Gortat is waaaay too expensive, he's a good player but not 5-years-35-millions good, that's just a huge contract to take. And nobody knows how good he can be as a starter with a lot of minutes.
    A nice option is Marc Gasol but the only way Memphis could deal him is if Thabeet starts to shine and I don't see that coming, at least for this season and the next.
    What I think we need is a young defensive back up center who could eventually take over Rasho's spot, POB doesn't qualify for that job. Koufus is not a bad player and he's just 20 y.o. A third point guard couldn't hurt either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ripp wrote: View Post
    Center:
    a) Oden. Impossible to get from Portland, unfortunately.
    b) Gortat? Languishing on Orlando bench, can be acquired after the 15th (I think.)
    c) Joel Pryzbilla. Not sure if Portland has the depth for us to pull this off..
    Hmmm ... Ripp .... is there something that you already know that we don't?

Apparently Gortat isn't happy with his lack of playing time right now. I don't think he's the answer, but waive POB, Pops and whomever else to make room for this dude.

I love the organization, but I'm not going to stay here being a back-up player and playing five minutes a game," Gortat told the Orlando Sentinel. "I hope people understand that. I know I can have a bigger role on another team."
    "I really don't think about this now. But at some point, I want to have the chance to sit down with coach [Stan] Van Gundy and tell him how I feel and where I want to go with my career," Gortat added. "I'm 100 percent sure coach will understand and will do the right thing for me and the team.

"My agent will talk to Otis. But it's too early to say anything."

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Gortat isn't happy with his lack of playing time right now. I don't think he's the answer, but waive POB, Pops and whomever else to make room for this dude.
    1) who do the Raps have earning $3m that the Magic would want?

2) Gortat earns about $2.8m more than his trade value (BYC player) which would push the Raps into Luxury Tax territory - can't see MLSE doing that unless they can dump enough salary elsewhere/ somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks to Gortat, the guy is signed through the 2013-14 season in an escalating deal. With the salary cap declining do you really want to tie up 7.5M in him? What he brings can be got through the draft, hell, even the D-League if you look hard enough. The guy is closer to Eric Montross than Brad Miller.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    No thanks to Gortat, the guy is signed through the 2013-14 season in an escalating deal. With the salary cap declining do you really want to tie up 7.5M in him? What he brings can be got through the draft, hell, even the D-League if you look hard enough. The guy is closer to Eric Montross than Brad Miller.

5 years, 34 million. I think if you plug him in right now as starting center for the raptors, he will give you 10/10, good man-to-man and help defense in 36 minutes of play.

I don't think it is fair at all to compare him anyone in the d-league. Just because he can't get minutes behind Dwight doesn't mean he sucks. Don't you remember his good play in the playoffs, or last season?

Finally, look at the numbers:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08PHI13.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL11.HTM

Similar production, but Gortat is half the price.

Plus, Gortat has some potential for growth/improvement...Dalembert not so much.

ThatPatty: Interesting idea, but I don't think Golden State believes they can resign Bosh. Plus Monta and Biedrins are quality players on good contracts...Jose, not so much. I don't think they'd do it unless they could also unload Magette's albatross contract..

IMy favored approach is to get rid of Calderon, and acquire someone like Gortat also (obviously, finances might make this challenging..) More competition at the Center spot will hopefully light a fire under Bargnani's @ss, make him play with some passion.

I'm against acquiring someone like Noah. He is a great player, but better to buy low and sell high, than vice versa (e.g., the Hedo acquisition..)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ripp wrote: View Post
    5 years, 34 million. I think if you plug him in right now as starting center for the raptors, he will give you 10/10, good man-to-man and help defense in 36 minutes of play.

I don't think it is fair at all to compare him anyone in the d-league. Just because he can't get minutes behind Dwight doesn't mean he sucks. Don't you remember his good play in the playoffs, or last season?

Finally, look at the numbers:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08PHI13.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL11.HTM

Similar production, but Gortat is half the price.

Plus, Gortat has some potential for growth/improvement...Dalembert not so much.
    Amir Johnson can give you 10/10 if you play him 36 minutes provided he doesn't foul out. I haven't seen enough of Gortat to comment on him from a defensive point of view, but I'm pretty sure Dalembert is more of an interior presence than him. Plus, wouldn't you like to see Leo squirm?

Thread Information