Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wade, James and Bosh Join Miami Discussion (Must Read News Article, pg. 5)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no interest in a so-called "super" team. I would think the reasons are obvious:

1. ESPN will undoubtedly send an army of reporters and cameras to blanket the team with coverage every day of the season. Get ready for in-depth analysis that would make a proctologist blush.

2. Bandwagon jumpers... The Miami Heat are about to become the new flavour-of-the-month as every weak-willed loser on the continent runs out to buy a spiffy new jersey.

3. Try to find one media hack who will not pick either Miami or LA to win the title. Anything less and we'll be hearing words like "incredible upset". Way to take the drama out of the NBA.

4. Finally... and this is what really bugs me: Boston set the precedent and now Wade, Bosh and LBJ has refined it to an art form. Being the best in the NBA is no longer about taking on the best and beating them. It's about recruiting all your competition to play with you, so that you don't have to play against them. All the smacktalk you see in the NBA, but in the end, these guys are a bunch of gutless cowards.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope...I hope against hope...that this becomes one enormous spectacle of unrelenting disdain, madness and anti-Heat hysteria. My one nba related wish now is that everytime Lebron James or Chris Bosh touch the basketball while playing in any court outside of Florida - any and every time - they get treated to a chorus of awesome, awesome boo's.

I would take immense pleasure in watching an arena full of men, women and children - from criminal businessmen to respectable white rapper wannabe's - slowly morph into 15,000 dopplegangers of the booing peasant woman from the Princess Bride, each with a bag of rotten tomatoes, each bag filled with tomatoes more rotten than the last in a never-ending Escherian spiral of tomato-based rotteness, the collective launching of said tomatoes towards said players rivaling the glory days of Vaudeville.

Shame on these "athletes." Nay, in fact, scratch that. Athletes these are not, for athletes compete. Call this a coalition of the unwilling to try. Perhaps it would be more fitting if, inside each tomato was placed a single coin, good for one free shot of tequila from any club along Miami Beach. At least they'd get what they came to Miami for - for though they may covered in rotten tomato juice, they can then go hit up the clubs and party all night afterwards. Win-win, apparently.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Fri Jul 9th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if anyone wants to get a really good understanding of pretty much the basic narrative of the past 2 years for a number of NBA teams in the build up to this years free agency, look no further than this link. It is, in its own sad way, terribly accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFmPuvz1iz4&NR=1

Raptors Republic Starter RikkJames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After the All Star break Bryan Colangelo did voice a lot of concerns about ppl getting into his player's ears, but didnt mention any names or detail, this might've been the stuff he was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, please use the NBA board for these LeBron, Wade and Bosh discussions. Bosh is no longer a Raptor. This does not belong on the Raptors board. I'll move it now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only real question is whether they can beat 72-10 and if they will try. Jose would be the perfect point guard for team tripod, but I'm pretty sure Riley just burnt two bridges with his new acquisitions.

MWO. Miami World Order. I hope they spray paint every the half court of every team they beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson would be the perfect coach.

Post Thanks / Like

From Yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...decision070910

From the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...5931688.column

From Esquire:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/lebr...ecision-070910

From Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

(found the above articles linked from the RealGM boards)

Also, from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/sp...r=1&ref=sports

These aren't small-time niche publications. This is big-time mainstream media ripping this fiasco apart. Just a massive disaster.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Fri Jul 9th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Jeff. I will read these when I get time. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Guys, please use the NBA board for these LeBron, Wade and Bosh discussions. Bosh is no longer a Raptor. This does not belong on the Raptors board. I'll move it now.
    thankyou.

also, is it juist me or when lebron said that sentence before "i'mjoing the miami heat" it was like wtf did he just say. it was like

"ibis fall,man this is tough, i'm daking my dowels down to south beach"

i was like wtf did he just say aparently it was "i'm taking my talents to south beach" but, the few words before that were like in a drunken,mumbled slur.
    Last edited by LBF; Fri Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JskyovzAyiA

reggie miller said he's not a superstar. now that's a true superstar. humble

TBJ reacts: Chris Bosh heads to Miami from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.

this is just TBJ reacting to bosh heading to miami before lebron a couple days ago. I don't like how they said toronto fans have nothing to be angry at.

have you freakin read his twitter and comments.

here's the new one

TBJ reacts: LeBron, LeBron, LeBron from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.

Last edited by LBF; Fri Jul 9th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan was never humble. Is he a superstar? The stuff Bosh and James pulled goes beyond egotistical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Jordan was never humble. Is he a superstar? The stuff Bosh and James pulled goes beyond egotistical.
    ya, jordan was a superstar. but as far as ego goes.

anyways, bosh was all for this and wade was the master behind it and lebron was dumb enough to fall into it.

there the three stooges

Post Thanks / Like

Talk of bosh wade and james taking pay cuts is incorrect. Heat and raps working on a s and t for a 6th year Cavs may do the sign with miami
    about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

http://twitter.com/swirsk054

Six teams have contacted Zydrunas Ilgauskas, agent said. Yes, the Heat are believed to be one of them. No decision yet.
    13 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    http://twitter.com/pdcavsinsider

FYI, a trade exception #Cavs would potentially get in a sign-and-trade is basically worthless because they are under the salary cap.
    about 3 hours ago via web .

Sign-and-trade would be worth between $35-40 million to James. But Heat have limited assets. Can't see the Cavs being very willing.
    about 3 hours ago via web .

According to a source, Raptors and Heat have agreed on structure of sign-and-trade for Bosh. Heat are trying to get the Cavs to do it w/LBJ.
    about 3 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/pdcavsinsider

Michael Lee: Mike Miller told me that nothing is final with MIA, but his agent is speaking with Heat right now about joining the SuperFriends. Over 3 hours ago.

Ira Winderman: LeBron James gets his No. 6, with switch to No. 15 what Mario Chalmers was looking for, anyway. James had worn No. 23. bit.ly/98sR1o Over 3 hours ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter_media.html#ixzz0tDtZlzFH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orlando GM Rips LBJ

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith said Friday he was surprised James went to Miami because he thought the two-time MVP was "more of a competitor."

He said the "great ones" do it on their own and "usually stay in one locatio
    Asked if James' move to Miami will cause a power shift in the NBA, Smith responded, "Is Kobe retiring?"

"He's proven he can do it on his own," Smith said of Lakers star Kobe Bryant, smiling over the comments. "Oops. My bad."

Smith also said the Magic "still hold the crown" as the best in the Southeast Division, having won three straight titles. He added the Heat will be tough to beat, but are not unguardable.

"Unless they got three balls, you still guard them the same," Smith said. "They'll figure it out I'm sure. Somebody's going to end up with seven shots. Are they going to be OK with that? Somebody's got to be Robin. Are they OK with that? Those are the things they have to work out."
    "I was surprised that he went" to Miami, Smith said. "I thought he was, I guess, more of a competitor."

"The great ones do and usually stay in one location," he added. "This is a new era. It's a little different than my time."
    Source: ESPN.com

Post Thanks / Like

you think they will sign ben wallace as their center?

Post Thanks / Like

"In a potentially huge turn of events, the Miami Heat is attempting to work out a sign-and-trade agreement with the Cleveland Cavaliers for free-agent forward LeBron James, who already has agreed to join the Heat.

Should the Heat be able to pull off the maneuver, it would give Heat President Pat Riley unlimited resources to re-sign remaining current Heat free agents such as Udonis Haslem, Dorell Wright and Quentin Richardson -- whichever are not included in such a sign-and-trade -- without having to make those agreements work within the confines of the NBA's "soft" salary cap.

No matter the approach, James is locked into a Heat future.

In addition, such a maneuver would allow the Heat to retain its mid-level salary-cap exception for 2010-11, which it then could utilize to complete its planned signing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller.

In essence, the Heat is completing its end game.

Regardless of the approach, the Heat is expected to sign Miller, the former University of Florida standout, to a contract in the five-year, $30 million range.

The Heat also is finishing off a sign-and-trade agreement with the Toronto Raptors that will allow recently acquired power forward Chris Bosh to receive a six-year free-agent contract instead of the maximum five-year contract an outside free agent can receive. The Raptors, in turn, will receive a package of draft picks from the Heat and a trade exception of roughly $15 million.

With a sign-and-trade with Cleveland, James also could receive a six-year package, instead of the maximum five-year deal an outside free agent could receive."
    this truly is insanity!

cont through link via pro sports daily

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LeBron, Wade, Bosh officially sign max deals with Miami

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    this truly is insanity!

I'm not sure this actually makes sense under the CBA. SOmeone who knows it better than me should look into it, but no matter what, the Heat were under the cap, no matter if there was a sign and trade, or not. I don't see how they'd get the MLE.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    this truly is insanity!

"Should the Heat be able to pull off the maneuver, it would give Heat President Pat Riley unlimited resources to re-sign remaining current Heat free agents such as Udonis Haslem, Dorell Wright and Quentin Richardson -- whichever are not included in such a sign-and-trade -- without having to make those agreements work within the confines of the NBA's "soft" salary cap.

[...]

In addition, such a maneuver would allow the Heat to retain its mid-level salary-cap exception for 2010-11, which it then could utilize to complete its planned signing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller.

In essence, the Heat is completing its end game."
    I have never read anything so ridiculous in a supposed professional paper. This is worse than Lloyd Carroll asking Davis about his knowledge of Canadian taxes, worse than tabloid sports writer Peter Vecsey, and worse than the typical Bleacher Report writer, which says a lot.

In order to S&T picks for Bosh and LBJ (while also signing Miller to the remaining cap room), the Heat had to renounce every single cap hold by all of their FAs (except Wade, of course). By doing so, they are under the cap and do not have their MLE available. There is no magical rule whereby you get magical power (as suggested by that link) to sign all the players you renounced for as much as you want if you obtain your FAs via S&T. The writer makes it sound like the NBA CBA is a video game where if you complete task A, B and C, you unlock unlimited gold. As it is, LBJ, Bosh and Wade will have to take less money for Miller to sign his deal with the Heat. Everyone else will have to sign for the veteran's minimum. If last years' Heat players are amenable to that, then sure, but that's all they will get.

Someone needs to fire that idiot for use of illegal substances, because he's surely on crack.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jul 10th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Thread Information