Smitch & I Have Some Advice for Triano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smitch & I Have Some Advice for Triano

Fuck ya, shit ya, hell ya .... get mad Jay ... like Bobby Knight mad. Throw crap around the dressing room. Sleep with the players wives. Get some type of emotion out your guys instead of allowing them to have "shits & giggles" time at the end of games after being blown out of the water by a trillion points.

Still, Triano has his issues. How does he get more out of Hedo Turkoglu, the prized off-season pickup who hasn't delivered? Or out of Chris Bosh, who had two points on Wednesday? Or out of Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani, who both need to be better?

Mitchell knows the challenge.

"People don't understand how relentless I was on Jose and Chris. I cut 'em no slack," said Mitchell. "Andrea, it was different. I cut Andrea a lot of slack."

Perhaps part of the problem for Triano is that he forged his relationship with Bosh and Calderon and Bargnani, three-fifths of an under-performing starting five, as an assistant coach, the smiling pat on the back that soothed the pain of Mitchell's verbal whip. For Triano to suddenly find relentlessness? No easy task.

"You pick your spots," Mitchell said. "Sometimes you just have to walk away and say, `Don't say (anything). It's a bad night. Don't compound it.' ... And sometimes you really get on their ass after you win. ... You pick your spots."
    Source - Click here

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Fuck ya, shit ya, hell ya .... get mad Jay ... like Bobby Knight mad. Throw crap around the dressing room. Sleep with the players wives. Get some type of emotion out your guys instead of allowing them to have "shits & giggles" time at the end of games after being blown out of the water by a trillion points.

Source - Click here
    LOL, Sam with the truth! Having said that, will anyone even take Triano seriously if he starts to be all Smitch on the players? Personally if I was on the team and I knew that the coach was soft and then all of a sudden changed his tone, I would tune him out.

He would lose even more credibility amongst the players. Wow what a mess!

Comment

Again, I point to the clipboard smashing (what, 3 times he's done it) and the snit fit he pulled on Joey. I challenge anyone to show me that the team improved after any of those.

I stick by what I said in my blog post. Until you consistently get in players faces, in public, and don't act like a petulant child doing it, nobody will listen or react. In addition, you know the Toronto crowd would support seeing him do it. It's a win/win.

Comment

AltRaps wrote: View Post
        Again, I point to the clipboard smashing (what, 3 times he's done it) and the snit fit he pulled on Joey. I challenge anyone to show me that the team improved after any of those.

I stick by what I said in my blog post. Until you consistently get in players faces, in public, and don't act like a petulant child doing it, nobody will listen or react. In addition, you know the Toronto crowd would support seeing him do it. It's a win/win.
        That blog post was on point...especially the point about deliberately allowing the TV's to catch the scolding.

The clipboard smashing is ridiculous, but I give Triano credit for -at least- standing up for CB4 after he got kneed in his nuts by Pierce. And I'm all for positive re-inforcement especially with individuals that can't take criticism (I'm assuming that would be Bargnani and Calderon), but at some point you have to man up and tell it like it is rather than sugar coating the whole situation.

I think "players-coaches" are great (i.e. Flip Saunders, Mike D'antoni, etc) but even they have the balls to take a player out and yell at them if they start doing stupid things consistently.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post

Source - Click here
          Sorry Doc but Jay is more a "You can't defend or rebound? Its ok, let's sit down and talk about our feelings, here's a box a tissues in case you need them. I know I will" guy.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Sorry Doc but Jay is more a "You can't defend or rebound? Its ok, let's sit down and talk about our feelings, here's a box a tissues in case you need them. I know I will" guy.
            I know.

I'm trying to convince myself otherwise though.

Comment

By all means, convince me too. I think I would have a better feeling about this team.

Comment

Working...
              X