Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Letter from Bryan Colangelo

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter from Bryan Colangelo

Dear x,

What a spectacle! What we have all just witnessed is something unprecedented in professional basketball and possibly even in professional sports. In a year where multiple NBA teams positioned themselves for the ability to sign a "maximum" contract player (or players) in free agency, three of the NBA's bright young stars are teaming together in an attempt to win an NBA Championship. Kudos to the Miami Heat for pulling off such a feat.

I'm sure that there is frustration and disappointment, possibly even resentment, upon hearing the news that Chris Bosh is leaving Toronto to join forces with Dwyane Wade and LeBron James in South Beach. Well that certainly is the feeling from this vantage point as we lose a player that has been the centrepiece of our franchise for the last several years. I can assure you every move/investment made in the last four years to improve our basketball team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces around Chris would get us closer to our goal of winning an NBA Championship. In fact, Chris actively participated in that process as transactions and changes were contemplated because I have always believed that a franchise player experiences a sense of ownership in team building. Unfortunately, we fell short of that goal and must now move on to a post-Bosh era in Toronto.

In completing a Sign-and-Trade transaction with Miami, we were able to extract a very valuable Trade Exception and future draft picks that will serve as building blocks in the process of re-tooling our basketball team. The Trade Exception can be used to acquire players under contract with other teams via trade, or it can be used to leverage the acquisition of additional future assets. Speaking of the future, I can't tell you how energized we all feel to see the positive growth and development of so much young athletic talent on our roster including re-signing Amir Johnson and the recent first-round draft selection of Ed Davis. While more changes to the roster are possible, even likely, we can promise you now that this team will compete every night they take to the floor.

We believe we have the best fans in the NBA and we believe in the city and country that we play in. Your passion, pride and support has been tremendous no matter what the circumstances, and we cannot thank you enough for that. We all share a commitment to winning both on and off the floor and MLSE/Toronto Raptors ownership and management will do whatever it takes to WIN while also making the community a better place. Our franchise will evolve and emerge stronger than before, and I assure you that our combined efforts will produce the WINNER you are hoping for.

Sincerely,

Bryan Colangelo
    bc sig
    President and General Manager
    Toronto Raptors Basketball Club

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tonight's "Raptors Riddle":

What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that he can and will assemble a team that will compete for a title (eventually) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.

Edit: Even though I stand behind BC's moves last summer, agreeing that they were sound and would result in the team winning a first round playoff series, I think BC's current track record as the Raps President/GM has demonstrated that he is undoubtedly a highly competent and highly capable senior executive, who's weakness is a penchant for making calculated high-risk decisions/investments - that have, unfortunately, all resulted in dramatic failures which have tarnished his current reputation to the point were he can no longer be allowed to make another high-risk decision/investment for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Sat Jul 10th, 2010 at 06:28 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
    He he James, probably you like Dan Gilbert letter better, because I certainly do. Anyway, I don't think BC could do more to try keep Bosh around. Once Bosh decided to quit on Raptors (around ASG break), there was nothing BC could do. Most of the previous years moves BC did, were approved by Bosh and by many of us (at the time of trade not after ). Unfortunately it didn't work, Bosh is gone and we have to move on.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
    Nicely Said.
    BC has failed over and over during the past few years. There is not even one trade or signing that has made sense and all his moves were unfocused and lack a real direction.

He can write as many letter as he wants and try to spread false hopes in Raptor land and hope some will fall again for his lies BUT true Raptor fans know him well now.

He will not be behind the total rebuild of this team. He will not do it the right way because then it means ( in his egotistic mind) that he was defeated.

He will waste more money and will create more news just trying to extend his gig here in Toronto. The real looser at the end are the Toronto Raptor fans.

BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.
    Enough with the firing as the solution to all our problems. At least propose someone (not Pritchard, who will probably not get a GM offer for at least a year after his debacle) who you think can turn the organization around. The alternative is not automatically better than BC.

Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
    Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
    I agree BIG TIME! After pulling off the moves he did last summer, 95% of all people bashing the guy now thought he was a super genius and now he's the world biggest idiot? He made some moves that clearly didn't work out, but they very easily could have and you'd all be back to being right up the man's butt just like before.

Post Thanks / Like

well he had to build around CB4 and nothing worked hence the overhauls. But we have our solid young core because of him and now some picks with a couple of good moves he may actually redeem himself this year so lets see what happens.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!
    Is this sarcastic?
    lol serious question i cant really tell

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote INFO wrote: View Post
    Is this sarcastic?
    lol serious question i cant really tell
    haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!

Post Thanks / Like

haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!
    I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
    If your picture resembles your persona, then you are probably confused by allot of things.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Big props to BC for getting the best possible assets he can obtain from the heat, especially since their cupboard was bare. I hope BC goes after Udonis Haslem, good tough veteran player who plays good defence and it would certainly screw over the Heat (as Dwade loves Haslem).

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

...are all of you too young or too blind to recall what occurred during the VC trade days.

VC's stock was at an alltime low. Few wanted the guy. 99% of TO fans wanted him out. If you don't recall how bad it actually was, just go back and try to search the sports-headlines. When the VC trade trade occurred, people were happy. Not b/c we got back anything, but b/c we got rid of that #### Vince.

Seriously - hindsight is 20/20. Backcock was garbage, but at the time VC had so little value it was incredible. Babcock did terribly, however we weren't going to get much more than what Babcock had received.

Flash forward to BC's moves. Again...people are looking back in hindsight but the majority of people liked the majority of BC's moves.

I see people complain about BC changing 75% of the team every year. I also see people complain when he tries to luck up guys for 5 years (such as what he is doing, did with the MLE every year, etc..).

One can question whether you agree with whom he decides to lock up long term...but not neccesarily that he is purposely trying to change 75% of the team year-over-year.

Its obvious that he is overpaying a touch. Why? Uhmm...this is how you keep talent happy. If they are happy, they are more likely to try to perform to the next level. He also likes to lock up players who he believes will be getting better (and thus lock them in for currently above mkt wages, but hopefully in a year or two it will be way below as they deserve higher wages. Given how well he has treated them in the past and stuck with them though, this gives him goodwill and they will still perform until the next contract. It makes complete sense.)

You can't argue both sides. Come on folks...take a step back.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RBB wrote: View Post
    ...are all of you too young or too blind to recall what occurred during the VC trade days.

VC's stock was at an alltime low. Few wanted the guy. 99% of TO fans wanted him out. If you don't recall how bad it actually was, just go back and try to search the sports-headlines. When the VC trade trade occurred, people were happy. Not b/c we got back anything, but b/c we got rid of that #### Vince.

Seriously - hindsight is 20/20. Backcock was garbage, but at the time VC had so little value it was incredible. Babcock did terribly, however we weren't going to get much more than what Babcock had received.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. And yes, my memory of those days (and even the Damon Stoudamire days) is fine. Your memory, though, might need a bit of work.

Of course VC's stock was at an all-time low. He had only been stinking it up that season after several brilliant seasons, to the point where the coach benched him during the team's important minutes. Any-time your performance decreases like that after averaging over 20+ ppg per season, your stock is inherently at an all-time low. But "few wanted the guy" can't be farther from the truth, and "99% of fans wanted him out" is a stat you just made up, not to mention the fans that wanted him out didn't want him out for nothing in return.

When you say fans were happy after we traded him, that's you coloring the events with how YOU felt. If the moment the trade was announced can be considered 20/20 hindsight then fine, but it's not like years later, looking back, we finally realized how shitty that trade was. That realization was instant and the only reason anyone might have thought the deal was okay is if 1) they thought Mourning would actually play for the Raptors (oh Raptor fans and our fascination with big names), and 2) they didn't know who Aaron Williams and Eric Williams were. The reality of that situation broke pretty soon after the trade too. The only criticism truly deserving of being called hindsight is the realization now that we essentially traded Vince for Joey Graham and a bunch of cap ballast.

How do you know we wouldn't have gotten more than Babcock received? Do you have an alternate universe machine? I certainly don't, and while I can't tell you what we would have received, I can certainly say we did not try to trade him for very long. It's not like we didn't have 2.5 years remaining on his contract to trade him for crap. If his value was that low, as you suggest, it certainly could not have hurt to wait longer. No, Babcock pounced on the trade almost immediately -- a trade involving two meaningless D-Leaguers would have taken as long to complete -- and then instead of suspending Mourning without pay for refusing to report, he again did the "gentlemanly" thing and bought his contract out, citing the team's doctors as saying Mourning did not meet the medical standards for playing with the sad-sack Raptors, though apparently he was fine enough to play for the 2005-2006 NBA champions. The trade should have been made contingent on all players passing their physicals, and the moment Mourning failed his, we should have at least forced them to substitute someone else for him or rescind the trade. Realizing he'd go on to win the championship is hindsight, but we already knew in February 2005 that rather than buying him out, we should have just suspended his butt without pay as a team with any pride remaining would do.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jul 10th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. And yes, my memory of those days (and even the Damon Stoudamire days) is fine. Your memory, though, might need a bit of work.

Of course VC's stock was at an all-time low. He had only been stinking it up that season after several brilliant seasons, to the point where the coach benched him during the team's important minutes. Any-time your performance decreases like that after averaging over 20+ ppg per season, your stock is inherently at an all-time low. But "few wanted the guy" can't be farther from the truth, and "99% of fans wanted him out" is a stat you just made up, not to mention the fans that wanted him out didn't want him out for nothing in return.

When you say fans were happy after we traded him, that's you coloring the events with how YOU felt. If the moment the trade was announced can be considered 20/20 hindsight then fine, but it's not like years later, looking back, we finally realized how shitty that trade was. That realization was instant and the only reason anyone might have thought the deal was okay is if 1) they thought Mourning would actually play for the Raptors (oh Raptor fans and our fascination with big names), and 2) they didn't know who Aaron Williams and Eric Williams were. The reality of that situation broke pretty soon after the trade too. The only criticism truly deserving of being called hindsight is the realization now that we essentially traded Vince for Joey Graham and a bunch of cap ballast.

How do you know we wouldn't have gotten more than Babcock received? Do you have an alternate universe machine? I certainly don't, and while I can't tell you what we would have received, I can certainly say we did not try to trade him for very long. It's not like we didn't have 2.5 years remaining on his contract to trade him for crap. If his value was that low, as you suggest, it certainly could not have hurt to wait longer. No, Babcock pounced on the trade almost immediately -- a trade involving two meaningless D-Leaguers would have taken as long to complete -- and then instead of suspending Mourning without pay for refusing to report, he again did the "gentlemanly" thing and bought his contract out, citing the team's doctors as saying Mourning did not meet the medical standards for playing with the sad-sack Raptors, though apparently he was fine enough to play for the 2005-2006 NBA champions. The trade should have been made contingent on all players passing their physicals, and the moment Mourning failed his, we should have at least forced them to substitute someone else for him or rescind the trade. Realizing he'd go on to win the championship is hindsight, but we already knew in February 2005 that rather than buying him out, we should have just suspended his butt without pay as a team with any pride remaining would do.
    99% was an embellishment. It is not a true fact. My recollection is just fine of how people felt about Vince, and how people (generally) felt about the trade. It is not solely ME that felt that way - people wanted him gone. (I have been searching to try to find comments and postings from 2004 to backup this claim but currently to no avail).

You said that babcock jumped quickly on a trade..but its not as if this was a 1-week or 1-month window where Babcock was shopping him - they were shopping him for a while. Corollary being that offers could not have been superb since (or likely would have been much better) they got minimal. Waiting 2.5 years to trade him - a lot can happen in that amount of time to have sweetened the deal. Its a good thing that GMs in ANY sport usually wait that long. Give me a break, be realistik and bridge the gap between theory vs. practicality.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

i hate the word re-tooling
    It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote INFO wrote: View Post
    i hate the word re-tooling
    It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.
    Using the word rebuilding is a big no-no in pro sports. It scares away ticketbuyers. No smart GM is ever going to say he is rebuilding because he still needs to bring fans into the arena. The GMs job is not just to build a winning team, but to fill the arena as much as possible.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Using the word rebuilding is a big no-no in pro sports. It scares away ticketbuyers.
    And corporate sponsors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information