Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Letter from Bryan Colangelo

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Letter from Bryan Colangelo

    Dear x,

    What a spectacle! What we have all just witnessed is something unprecedented in professional basketball and possibly even in professional sports. In a year where multiple NBA teams positioned themselves for the ability to sign a "maximum" contract player (or players) in free agency, three of the NBA's bright young stars are teaming together in an attempt to win an NBA Championship. Kudos to the Miami Heat for pulling off such a feat.

    I'm sure that there is frustration and disappointment, possibly even resentment, upon hearing the news that Chris Bosh is leaving Toronto to join forces with Dwyane Wade and LeBron James in South Beach. Well that certainly is the feeling from this vantage point as we lose a player that has been the centrepiece of our franchise for the last several years. I can assure you every move/investment made in the last four years to improve our basketball team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces around Chris would get us closer to our goal of winning an NBA Championship. In fact, Chris actively participated in that process as transactions and changes were contemplated because I have always believed that a franchise player experiences a sense of ownership in team building. Unfortunately, we fell short of that goal and must now move on to a post-Bosh era in Toronto.

    In completing a Sign-and-Trade transaction with Miami, we were able to extract a very valuable Trade Exception and future draft picks that will serve as building blocks in the process of re-tooling our basketball team. The Trade Exception can be used to acquire players under contract with other teams via trade, or it can be used to leverage the acquisition of additional future assets. Speaking of the future, I can't tell you how energized we all feel to see the positive growth and development of so much young athletic talent on our roster including re-signing Amir Johnson and the recent first-round draft selection of Ed Davis. While more changes to the roster are possible, even likely, we can promise you now that this team will compete every night they take to the floor.

    We believe we have the best fans in the NBA and we believe in the city and country that we play in. Your passion, pride and support has been tremendous no matter what the circumstances, and we cannot thank you enough for that. We all share a commitment to winning both on and off the floor and MLSE/Toronto Raptors ownership and management will do whatever it takes to WIN while also making the community a better place. Our franchise will evolve and emerge stronger than before, and I assure you that our combined efforts will produce the WINNER you are hoping for.

    Sincerely,

    Bryan Colangelo
    bc sig
    President and General Manager
    Toronto Raptors Basketball Club

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Tonight's "Raptors Riddle":

    What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

    He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that he can and will assemble a team that will compete for a title (eventually) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.

    Edit: Even though I stand behind BC's moves last summer, agreeing that they were sound and would result in the team winning a first round playoff series, I think BC's current track record as the Raps President/GM has demonstrated that he is undoubtedly a highly competent and highly capable senior executive, who's weakness is a penchant for making calculated high-risk decisions/investments - that have, unfortunately, all resulted in dramatic failures which have tarnished his current reputation to the point were he can no longer be allowed to make another high-risk decision/investment for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Sat Jul 10th, 2010 at 06:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie Priest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    well he had to build around CB4 and nothing worked hence the overhauls. But we have our solid young core because of him and now some picks with a couple of good moves he may actually redeem himself this year so lets see what happens.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

    He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
    He he James, probably you like Dan Gilbert letter better, because I certainly do. Anyway, I don't think BC could do more to try keep Bosh around. Once Bosh decided to quit on Raptors (around ASG break), there was nothing BC could do. Most of the previous years moves BC did, were approved by Bosh and by many of us (at the time of trade not after ). Unfortunately it didn't work, Bosh is gone and we have to move on.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i hate the word re-tooling
    It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!
    Is this sarcastic?
    lol serious question i cant really tell

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter cornbreadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kind of sounds like BC is trying to deflect some of the blame onto Bosh for his crap free-agent signings

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote INFO wrote: View Post
    Is this sarcastic?
    lol serious question i cant really tell
    haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!

  10. #10
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!
    I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

  11. #11
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote cornbreadd wrote: View Post
    Kind of sounds like BC is trying to deflect some of the blame onto Bosh for his crap free-agent signings
    I thought so too. Basically saying he did what Bosh wanted and he still bailed on him. He's probably right but he's got to take full responsibility instead of deflecting blame, after all, the GM has the final call.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I thought so too. Basically saying he did what Bosh wanted and he still bailed on him. He's probably right but he's got to take full responsibility instead of deflecting blame, after all, the GM has the final call.
    I agree he should take full responsibility, and hope the more intelligent Raptors fans realize that if Ohio native LBJ wouldn't resign with one of the best NBA teams which also happens to have the "home team" advantage, then why would Texas native Chris Bosh resign with one of the most disappointing teams last year.

    That said, it was not a good situation for any GM involved (aside from Riley), whether Cleveland, Toronto or even New York.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think BC did everything he could to put a winner on the court. He brought in the top free-agent last year in Hedo. The raps at the all-star break were 5th in the east and easily the hottest team in the league and when the second half started something was different. Bosh got injured again and it kinda any flow the team had going. None the less this is still a talented team and is gonna be fun to watch next season.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
    If your picture resembles your persona, then you are probably confused by allot of things.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Man BC is a class act. I've always supported him and all of the moves that he's made seems like good moves at the time. I, for one believe that this team will be able to compete once the final roster is set for this upcoming season, of course not for an championship this year but I do expect us to make the playoffs because Chris Bosh was not this entire team and without him the Raptors will move on just like we did after VC. Lets go BC and lets go Raptors!

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote INFO wrote: View Post
    i hate the word re-tooling
    It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.
    Using the word rebuilding is a big no-no in pro sports. It scares away ticketbuyers. No smart GM is ever going to say he is rebuilding because he still needs to bring fans into the arena. The GMs job is not just to build a winning team, but to fill the arena as much as possible.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

    He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
    Nicely Said.
    BC has failed over and over during the past few years. There is not even one trade or signing that has made sense and all his moves were unfocused and lack a real direction.

    He can write as many letter as he wants and try to spread false hopes in Raptor land and hope some will fall again for his lies BUT true Raptor fans know him well now.

    He will not be behind the total rebuild of this team. He will not do it the right way because then it means ( in his egotistic mind) that he was defeated.

    He will waste more money and will create more news just trying to extend his gig here in Toronto. The real looser at the end are the Toronto Raptor fans.

    BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    BC should be fired as the first STEP toward a better future and into a right direction.
    Enough with the firing as the solution to all our problems. At least propose someone (not Pritchard, who will probably not get a GM offer for at least a year after his debacle) who you think can turn the organization around. The alternative is not automatically better than BC.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

    Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

    Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

    Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

    I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
    Twitter:@coachclement

    The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    The big moves Colangelo has made were hailed by most Raptor fans at the time.

    Jermaine O'Neal looked like a good fit but injuries were his downfall. Few bigs are as skilled in the post but his wonky knees did him in! In the final analysis it didn't work.

    Turkoglu also looked like a good fit at the three. His problem was "BALL". Maybe (if he returns next season) he gets it and we get to see what he really brings to the table.

    Both moves in theory could have worked but didn't pan out. Hindsight is always 20/20 as the saying goes. At least the man rolls the dice!

    I remain a fan of the man, I love his style!
    I agree BIG TIME! After pulling off the moves he did last summer, 95% of all people bashing the guy now thought he was a super genius and now he's the world biggest idiot? He made some moves that clearly didn't work out, but they very easily could have and you'd all be back to being right up the man's butt just like before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •