Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should The Raptors Charge Heat With Tampering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should The Raptors Charge Heat With Tampering?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5371956

The Cleveland Cavaliers have no plans to push for an NBA probe into the circumstances that led to LeBron James joining Team USA colleagues Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, according to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking.

NBA commissioner David Stern said Sunday that the league would investigate the Heat's signings of James and Bosh for any illegal negotiating or planning before free agency officially started if the Cavaliers or Toronto Raptors make that request.

Reached Sunday by ESPN.com, Stern said: "Whenever a team lodges a tampering charge, it is investigated."

The Cavaliers declined official comment Sunday, but one source briefed on Cleveland's intentions told ESPN.com that -- in the wake of owner Dan Gilbert's vitriolic open letter to Cavs fans that slammed James for leaving his home-state team -- the organization wants to try to keep the focus from here on its post-James future as much as possible.

Toronto likewise declined comment, but one source with knowledge of the Raptors' thinking indicated that they will not press for an inquiry, either, preferring to let league officials decide if any sanctions are warranted with regard to recent acknowledgements from the three players that they have been talking about teaming up for some time.
    A comment made by Bosh at a welcoming rally Friday night in Miami has only fueled accusations that the three stars began plotting their joint move to South Florida well before they were technically allowed to. Bosh initially told the assembled crowd that the trio had been talking about landing with the same team for "months" before catching himself and amending that statement to "days."
    What do you think?

I say, do it. Worst that can happen is our charge gets declined, at best, we get compensation.

I think we just need to move on, instead of dragging this farther.

Comment

This is like one of those situations in a relationship when for the sake of peace, CBA negotiations in process, you just got to let it go even if you are correct, unless of course you don't care about the relationship; i.e in the case owners and players
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think it would be futile for a single organization to get tied to this can. Stern should grow some and table the question himself. What he is in fact saying is "give me a taped conversation between Riley and Wade asking him to advise the duo that he will be clearing cap space for all". And this before July 1.

This is a league issue and should be discussed among members of the lodge. Blame is being placed unfairly on the players solely. Agents (very powerful ones and CAA one of the biggest agencies around) were involved. It would be naive to believe there were no status meetings surreptitiously between at least Thomas-Wade-Riley on the matter before July 1. As we all know, Thomas is also Bosh's agent.

Iam surprised that the issue is not considered one of import to the other teams in the "bidding" process as well. Were they played or what?

Of course even if there was proof of a diddle, Stern would be loath to make it public. This would be a PR nightmare for the league so I dont expect much to come off of this. The Heat played it well it seems.

Edit: LJ's agent Rose ultimately works for CAA who Thomas does as well.
        Last edited by Bendit; Sun Jul 11, 2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Good find. Will be very interesting to see how the Flee Agents survive this one. But my guess is Stern does nothing. That whole alliance is his big bag of money.
          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
            Good find. Will be very interesting to see how the Flee Agents survive this one. But my guess is Stern does nothing. That whole alliance is his big bag of money.
            I don't think this is a big bag of money at all...pool all of the talent and there are less big teams, less exciting regular season match ups...lower playoff ratings across all of the matchups etc...David drank himself to sleep the night of "the decision".

Comment

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
              I don't think this is a big bag of money at all...pool all of the talent and there are less big teams, less exciting regular season match ups...lower playoff ratings across all of the matchups etc...David drank himself to sleep the night of "the decision".
              Great teams always inspire hate and love, and that inspires people to pay money to see the spectacle of great teams playing. I think this is going to be the biggest thing the NBA has ever seen. Packed houses every night with booing fans. The New Heat Order is three villains writ large. It will be just like a bad guy pro wrestling faction, but that's the point: the entertainment value isn't about "the purity of athletic competition" or any crap like that, it's show business.

And that is what built the modern NBA. Larry vs. Magic wasn't about the basketball, it was the personalities and storylines that went along with it. The SuperFriends have given tens of millions of fans everywhere more than sufficient reasons to either hate their guts or love them. Examples of the hate include the ripping down of LeBron's poster in Cleveland and the burning of the jerseys. Dan LeBatard's "here comes the giant royal penis" radio segment is so far the best example of the love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZr2qOXQJ4w

The emotion that inspires these things is as good as gold for the NBA.

Comment

Exactly. And THAT's how I view it as Stern's money bag, right there. Fans have evolved into "get it now", "ego-loving", "flashy-life driven people. It's a new generation of NBA, now. Image is everything that business wants it to be. These dudes know what the fans want because they were fans, too. And, right now, drama is selling because drama brings attention and something new. Nice perfect year, 2010, to make it happen. Nice round and significant year to make something like this happen. It seems so story written. In the 90s we didn't have "Fantasy" basketball, now we do. And along with that, we are making them come to life. It's money, that's gonna sell jerseys (3 in one city, in fact), sell tickets and bring in other business. Tourism in Miami is gonna skyrocket, now. And media is gonna get in on it, to gain viewers. All in time for a lockout (if that is still possible to happen), where Stern would stand to lose money. He's gonna need to recoup, while covering up the image of this league now that collusion is being mentioned. How else to divert attention but by focusing mega ads and business to the new Miami. NBA got boring, nice shake up. Stern knew what was probably going on, ever since the concerns around the league was starting to gain an aroma, IMO.
                Last edited by GameBreaker; Sun Jul 11, 2010, 10:13 PM.
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

I agree with Arsenalist.

I would charge tampering, if for no other reason than to have Riley, Wade, Bosh and LeBron focus on defending themselves instead of playing basketball.

The NBA is already viewed by fans as rigged - moreso than any league outside of the WWE. This fiasco reinforces the perception that the NBA is not operated above board. Plus, now we have Paul and Carmelo scheming to get to NY to play with Amare.

I predict David Stern steps in and goes into damage control mode.

Comment

The Reason we got the Sign and Trade

Miami had no reason, as far as I can see, to give the sign and trade to Toronto and Cleveland. They had the players committed and really didn't have to squander resources they needed. By getting the teams in on a Sign and Trade, it completed a deal and made the Cavs/Raps complicit, or at least a little placated. If the Raps had gotten nothing, they may have pushed on. If they push, could they land more than they got in the deal? Probably not. And not worth the effort.

I for one, love the deal. We got a few picks and a trade exemption that could turn into someone well suited to the needs of the team. And, we don't have Bosh as a central focus. He would have taken too much money to have built a team that could win around him. I'm happy as hell with the way it all came down.

Comment

i don't know it wouldc ertainly gain t publicity. so,it might be a good thing but it might be a bad one. i say go for it.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

dont think we should we all knew chris was leaving for a long time anyway there really is no point.
                        stern wont do a thing about it since hes just trying to save face with everybody i just want to get back to talking hoops those 3 have already gotten enough attention

Comment

The best response is to try to facilitate the creation of a team that keeps the Three Amigos from winning soon. Is there any way that Toronto can use its TPE to facilitate a 3-way trade with NO and Lakers to get CP3 to the Lakers? Something like... Okafor and CP3 to the Lakers, Bynum and Calderon to NO, NO's 2011 1st round pick to the Raptors? Not sure if this could work with salary cap rules, but wouldn't Okafor, Gasol, Artest, Kobe and CP3 and the Lakers much stronger bench be a strong challenge for CenterX, Bosh, James, Wade, Chalmers?

Comment

Tbh I have a feeling stern force miami to do sign and trades with both Toronto and Cleveland because why would Miami need to if bosh and lebron already committed. It would only benefit Miami to keep those draft picks.

A good league commissioner would investigate the situation regardless, the fact that he is putting it on the team means he has something to hide. Maybe even the threat of openly asking for a investigation is what BC was forced to resort to get something for bosh.

I know tampering was involved and some form of tampering goes on all the time in this league but this is he first time it's been on this scale. Which is why BC first words in his letter are what a spectacle !

Comment

I wonder if anyone within the organizations will leak a story of the Raptors or the Cavs "pondering" the decision to charge Miami with tampering just to add a little bit of fuel to the fire to maybe get a reaction out of Riley or the three players. Just putting a little more pressure on the three of them without crossing that fine line.

Comment

Working...
                              X