Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRADE: Turkoglu For Barbosa and Jones (Update On Pg. 29)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marz wrote: View Post
    To me the Diaw acquisition is only average. Yes, we're getting a player of value with a short contract that can play defense. On the other hand, I would rather have given more minutes to Kleiza/Weems at the 3. I hope the rest of the TPE doesn't get used before the trade deadline because that's when I think we can get some real deals (see Eric Maynor, Ronnie Brewer).
    The roster is not complete yet; BC is not done yet, expect more moves. Specifically... either one of Jack or Calderon to be gone, and hopefully a Center added.

Comment

• d1m45h wrote: View Post
      A Little update apparently Jose Calderon and TPE for Boris Diaw and Tyson Chandler according to Hoopsworld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16779
      Overall, I think that the team might not be any less competitive without Turkoglu and Calderon, especially with the addition of Kleiza (if the Nuggets don't match). But this does help the Raptors financial competitiveness.

Chandler's salary is $12.6 million for one year, so this is a big expiring contract, which will become a more valuable trade chip than the TPE. Adding Banks and Evans as expirings, the Raptors would have about $22 million in expiring contracts next year (2011), and Diaw and Barbosa (>$16 million) come of the following year (2012). Overall, if these transactions go through the Raptors would be shedding about $34 million in salary commitments from 2012 and beyond.

This gives the Raptors some trade assets now (expiring contracts), or financial flexibility for the future. The TPE had to be used in the next year, so converting it into longer term benefits looks like a good move to me.

Comment

• What a deal! We get a defensive stopper in Chandler who is finally healthy. We get rid of our two weakest defenders in Turk and cale.. Diaw's numbers are pretty well identical too turks except he shoots a much higher percentage of .480 compared to turks .410. Chandler one of the best defensive bigs in the league. Pretty tough front line of bargni and chandler provide real shot blocking that Torontos never had. If this is true I'm super happy.

Comment

• Tough and bargni? Really?

Comment

• With the loss of Raymond Felton to the Knicks, the Bobcats need a PG and Jose should compliment DJ Augustine, who's phycical attributes and style of play are identical to TJ Ford.
            RR OG

Comment

• Toronto hasn't had anything even close to resembling tough since Oakley and Davis...

That being said, can we say contract year? 4 bpg from Chandler!

Comment

• Nash mentions Barbosa is gone!

I haven't seen anywhere that the trade is official yet (and I'm sure there's going to be more to it, as everyone keeps saying its "complex") but Nash just wrote on his twitter:

the_real_nash Today's the end of an era. My close friend Leandrinho leaves the Suns making me the last player from 04-07.
                www.twitter.com/the_real_nash

Comment

• vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                  I don't think you watched any Charlotte Bobcats games last season. When a team is willing to salary dump someone that tells you something...This is the same team that just spent 40 million on Tyrus Thomas.

Also he can't guard 5's ok? Just cuz Mike "Who cares about defense" D'Antoni played him there for a few games doesn't mean shit...
                  I didn't watch Bobcats games but I've watched many Suns games and a player doesn't change over night but the system may not fit him. Do you remember a guy named Hedo Turkoglu?

Comment

• Hedo was a bad act right from the start!!

Hedo was a bad actor right from the get go!
                    First he shows up tired, worn out, lazy.
                    I cant work out with the team for a two weeks, then two more weeks getting in shape, then a month learning the new system,
                    then someone got hurt so the starting five didnt get it going till
                    January. At that time they went on a tear winning till, injuries hit
                    they were in 4, 5 place in the East. Remember!
                    Bosh gets hurt, Hedo gives up trying starts whining, complaining behind the scenes, causing friction in the locker room big time.
                    THE HEDO CANCER IS GONE, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

• BC is cleaver

All in all I'm happy, it rids the raptors of, arguably, their two worst defenders and turk was a black hole on offense, if he had the ball he'd jack a fade away 3 or long 2.

Barbosa, Diaw and Chandler are 27, 28, 27 respectively so they are all going into their primes. Chandler could be a great fit with Bargs because He is a presence in the paint( on D), Barbosa is, at the very least, a 15ppg off the bench, Diaw has gotta play 3 but he is a decent defender and understands the game.

here is what no one is talking about, the raptors basically got three expiring deals for turk and Jose. Chandler expires this year and Diaw and Barbosa expire after 2011-12 but there could very well be a lockout thus every player could lose a year off their contract. And irregardless of a lockout or not after the upcoming season the CBA will change how teams sign players and the raptors will be the first ones with an assload of cap space whether it is after the 2011-12 or if that season gets locked out(which hope to GOD it doesn't)

BC is a cleaver man

Comment

• http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0tTRuGVg8

Yes!! we might get Chandler back too ?!! sweet great rebounder and defender i hope its true
                        "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

• Update from Doug Smith - LINK

In a complex transaction that’s still not finalized, the Raptors are shipping out Hedo Turkoglu, Jose Calderon and one other piece not yet confirmed and getting back Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns, Boris Diaw and possibly Tyson Chandler from the Charlotte Bobcats.

League sources could not confirm the final pieces Monday morning but the Raptors will not have to touch the $14.5 million trade exception acquired last week in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade transaction.
                          RR OG

Comment

• Turkoglu, Calderon, Barbosa, Diaw, Chandler All In One Deal

As per Doug:

In a complex transaction that’s still not finalized, the Raptors are shipping out Hedo Turkoglu, Jose Calderon and one other piece not yet confirmed and getting back Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns, Boris Diaw and possibly Tyson Chandler from the Charlotte Bobcats.

League sources could not confirm the final pieces Monday morning but the Raptors will not have to touch the $14.5 million trade exception acquired last week in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade transaction.

Colangelo originally drafted Barbosa with the Suns and has long been a fan of Diaw, a multi-purpose forward who can play a couple of positions. Chandler, who is in the last year of his contract, gives the Raptors another long athletic big man.

Turkoglu is destined for Phoenix, Calderon is headed to Charlotte and the league sources were unsure who the third piece leaving Toronto is and where he’s going.

The financial gains are significant.

Barbosa has two years and $14.7 million left on his current contract; Diaw has two years and $18 million remaining and Chandler will be paid $13.1 million this coming season.

Turkoglu still had four years and about $40 million left on his deal and Calderon has three years and almost $30 million left to go.
                            http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...-and-jose.html

Comment

• Third piece: Belli?

Comment

• If this is true (I have about as much faith in Smith as I do Triano), then I'd guess that this mystery piece is Evans. I am optimistic that we will get to keep the exception, but that speaks more to the abilities of Colangelo and his calculator of an assistant.

Comment

Working...
                                X