The Rubio Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rubio Thread

I believe the Raptors now have the pieces to make a legitimate pitch for the rights to Ricky Rubio. I also believe that if TO had Rubio's rights instead of Minnesota, he'd be on the first flight here.

So...T'wolves have Johnny Flynn and Ramon Sessions. They're looking to aquire Ridnour. Rubio must be gettable.

They also have no real SG other than Corey Brewer. We just traded for Barbosa, who is good, but doesn't really fit, particularly if Calderon is out and Jack stays. I think Minnesota would be crazy to turn down Barbosa and a first rounder for Rubio. Would you do that trade? If Minny won't bite, what else could we offer them?

I think that would be a great trade for us, and since it's the T-Wolves I won't rule anything out, but it does seem very unlikely. I think that we would have to throw in a pick too, maybe Miami's, but if Rubio comes over this year, it would be well worth it.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I don't see the fuss about Rubio. I'd rather deal for a guy who's actually played in the league.
      You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Well, since I was one of the first to start talking about RUbio to Toronto, I'd definitely be all for it. I think Minnesota would much rather have Bargnani, especially now that Jefferson is gone.

Tortacular wrote: View Post
        I don't see the fuss about Rubio. I'd rather deal for a guy who's actually played in the league.
        Apparently you haven't watched him play much.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tortacular wrote: View Post
          Amen.

The only thing I've seen from Rubio is a barrage of flashy passes in Euroleague. Inconsistent shooting stroke/below average athleticism is not a good combination for an NBA guard.

Comment

Rubio is a guy that is capable of captaining the floor and guarding his man. Importantly, he understands the value of the pass and with it he is highly effective. That skill is bizarrely overlooked. The idea that a PG should be able to score at will and be an elite athlete misses the point of what the position is about. I'm not saying having those skills wouldn't be an asset, but it would be kinda like arguing you should have a Center who likes to hang out at the 3 point line and shoot the long ball instead of rebound.

The more youth and inexperience you have in your wings - especially of the slashing/scoring type typified by Derozan and Weems (ie, not the shooting/playmaking type of wing), the more important it is to have a "pure" point guard, of which Rubio (and Calderon) is/are. Providing, of course, they can defend their position reasonably well. Something, further, that Rubio is capable of.

Also, shooting is probably the easiest skill to improve.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
              Amen.

The only thing I've seen from Rubio is a barrage of flashy passes in Euroleague. Inconsistent shooting stroke/below average athleticism is not a good combination for an NBA guard.
              Apparently you need to watch him a lot more. First of all, he's certainly not got below average athleticism. Not sure why you'd say that. Maybe because he's white? And Rubio is a winner, plain and simple, with an incredibly high basketball IQ. The guy has lead his team t success where ever he's been. The guy can learn to shoot, just as Jason Kidd did. You can't teach the ability to make those around you better and to win.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'd like to see Rubio on the Raps playing against Jennings and the Bucks. That'd be a kick-ass duel and a kick-ass game.

Comment

Working...
                X