What Center Should BC Pursue Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JYFelony wrote: View Post
    I'd like to see us take a shot at landing Gortat, but realistically there is nobody on our roster that Orlando would want.
    There were. Otis offered him to you for Hedo but BC declined. He refused him to land another under size combo guard to here. Now Toraps have 1 pg, 3 combo guard. There is still lots of TE out there and no defensive center left behind at the market.

I think Raps will struggle (if Jose leaves), you will have 3 slasher pg (Jack, LB, Banks) with their limited court visions you will have no flexibility to play different styles but just run and gun. I'm admitting It will be fun to watch them (just like last year Bobcats and GS). I guess it will give you fresh air esp after too many years with soft slow Europeans, you will be watching athletic spring chickens jumping over here or there.

Its better have fun now and wait for new dominos falls at next trade deadline
    Last edited by Vellassco; Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Vellassco wrote: View Post
      There were. Otis offered him to you for Hedo but BC declined. He refused him to land another under size combo guard to here. Now Toraps have 1 pg, 3 combo guard. There is still lots of TE out there and no defensive center left behind at the market.
      Source? Let me guess, unnamed?
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

IceeeD wrote: View Post
        Dalembert was traded to Sacramento before the draft and at that time Cousins was still considered a lock at the 3rd pick. Now they have a really crowded front-court with Cousins at the 5, Landry at the 4, and Thompson and Dalembert off the bench. It'll be hard to give Dalembert
        consistent minutes since they wanna develop Cousins. If Sacramento are open to receiving our expiring deals(Evans or Banks), then i'm all for it.
        Amen to that. Unless Sacramento thinks they can compete in the West with their line-up, they might as well make some room for heavy minutes for Cousins. Dalembert would be a solid addition for us.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
          Source? Let me guess, unnamed?
          You will see his face at espn, nba front pages in next couple of days.

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
            If I might ask, who says Colangelo was necessarily looking for a centre? He's been stacking the team with big men, and there's no point to keeping all of them. Has it occurred to anyone that this was less about getting Diaw / Chandler and more about moving Calderon?

It's not like another team is going to trade PGs with us. Wouldn't it seem reasonable to stock the team with marketable commodities in the hope that we'll be able to use one or two of them (and our PTE) to get a solid starting PG?

Safe bet we don't need seven bigs. I think BC was just moving the undesirable pieces, and the acquisitions would come later. IMO anyway....
            A voice of reason? What are you doing here? Unrealistic answers only please

Comment

Pryzbilla is under contract with Portland for one more year. He's going to sit on the bench and lose value behind Oden, Camby. I think he's a good fit with Toronto if they want to move bargni to the 4. If not leave it the way it is Amir, Bargni with Davis, alabi and evans backing them up.

Comment

Did the Bobcats backed out of the deal because they didn't like Calderon's defense? or his trade kicker? And is there still a chance that we can trade him for Diaw straight up since their salaries match?

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                  I think the answer that most people will be turning towards now is one that has been mentioned by a few ppl on here, that is: Collison + Okafor for Calderon + Banks/Evans. Something along those lines will not only provide the Hornets with some financial relief after this year, but with a suitable back-up for CP3. However, with the limited financial relief obtained with an expiring (Banks/Evans) comes a fairly long-term financial commitment with Calderon.

For the Raps, we get a defensive minded Center in Okafor (albeit slightly undersized) and a PG of the future in Collison. No there are no rumours floating out there about this possibly happening, but it seems to be something Raps fans are hoping for.
                  The idea that any deal not involving either equally serviceable players, youngsters or draft picks would be of interest to New Orleans is silly (and I'm not attacking you, JYF, but all New Orleans-Toronto trade ideas I've seen so far).

Let's agree first on what New Orleans will want to achieve:
                  Goal #1) Stay competitive while reducing salary obligations; or
                  Goal #2) Reduce salary obligations and rebuild around cheap, young talent.

Lets also agree that whether a trade is a good idea should depend on the other team's needs being fulfilled first. Discussing how the trade helps our Raptors is a waste of time if it can't pass the first test.

In a Calderon + Evans/Banks for Okafor + Collison deal, New Orleans takes on more salary in 2010-2011, a bit less in the two years after, and loses Okafor's 4th year entirely. While it may seem attractive financially, this year is probably a bigger concern than 2013-2014 since the trade moves the Hornets towards the luxury tax level (if not further into it), and aside from Okafor, the Hornets don't have much salary committed in 2013-2014. Peja's bad contract comes off the books this year, Posey's comes off next year, and Chris Paul is potentially gone after 2011-2012 as well. If the Hornets surpass the luxury tax level by even $1 mil, that will cost them an additional ~$5 mil ($1 mil in a dollar for dollar tax, and ~$4 mil from the luxury tax distribution they would otherwise get if they stay below the luxury tax level).

Then there's the matter of which goal this trade fulfills. I think it's pretty clear that it makes them drastically less competitive, which adds to the case for Paul leaving, and if Paul leaves, would you rather rebuild around Calderon or Collison? No, if they want to rebuild, they'll keep Collison's super affordable contract and try to move Paul et al. If I was New Orleans, I would only move Collison if it got rid of Okafor's contract AND I get some combination of cheap, young talent or draft picks, or if I get players that can help New Orleans get back into the playoff picture and hopefully convince Chris Paul to stay. Trading away the team's arguably best asset for financial relief but without either staying competitive or driving the rebuilding process along just leaves you in limbo.

Comment

IceeeD wrote: View Post
                    Did the Bobcats backed out of the deal because they didn't like Calderon's defense? or his trade kicker? And is there still a chance that we can trade him for Diaw straight up since their salaries match?
                    Who knows. First, everyone up to the GM level approves of the trade, then MJ doesn't approve of the trade, then Brown never approved of the trade, then Brown doesn't want to part with Chandler, then Chandler gets traded for Dampier (who might just be cut entirely, and the other two are scrubs not worth mentioning), then Brown apparently wasn't very fond of Chandler anyway.

And if it's a Calderon for Diaw, 1 for 1 deal, do we have as much incentive to make that trade now? We're either shoddy at the 1 or shoddy at the 3, and I don't know about you, but I only liked the Chandler/Diaw acquisition because it would have given us potentially pretty good defense almost all-around. Davis/Johnson/Chandler/Dorsey/Alabi could all just play hard D, Diaw's not a shabby defender at the 3, and Bargnani could be moved for a different asset. I may be part of the minority here, but I think Calderon is good for the youngsters (Amir would benefit from Calderon more than from Jack, for instance), and the upgrade Diaw would provide at the 3 would not be worth trading Calderon for. We save on one year of Calderon's contract, but come on, its just one year.

Comment

we have a 7'1 center, yes he needs some development time but we have a center. the chandler trade would have been good because it was a expiring contract but it was a hard deal to make happen.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Chris Kaman or in a high risk move, Greg Oden.
                        I'm with you on the high risk move, but it would obviously depend on what we'd have to give up. Buying him at the value he's at now, with his injuries and foul problems, would be worth it, but not if Portland wants us to reimburse them as if he's a legit #1 overall pick.

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                          If I might ask, who says Colangelo was necessarily looking for a centre? He's been stacking the team with big men, and there's no point to keeping all of them. Has it occurred to anyone that this was less about getting Diaw / Chandler and more about moving Calderon?

It's not like another team is going to trade PGs with us. Wouldn't it seem reasonable to stock the team with marketable commodities in the hope that we'll be able to use one or two of them (and our PTE) to get a solid starting PG?

Safe bet we don't need seven bigs. I think BC was just moving the undesirable pieces, and the acquisitions would come later. IMO anyway....
                          Yes it is true that we have a log jam of bigs, but none of which are a true center that can body up other dominant centers around the league. I cannot even remember before JO the last time we had such a player, ( and yes i realize he didnt pan out to say the least). The point is we we really need someone to rip down boards and block shots to coexist with our other more athletic bigs.

Comment

Dinger wrote: View Post
                            Yes it is true that we have a log jam of bigs, but none of which are a true center that can body up other dominant centers around the league.
                            I assume by this you mean a "center" that rebounds and plays help defence. Bargnani bodies up 1 on 1 with other big men quite well.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that Tyson Chandler is not available now that he is on the Mavericks. You people do realize the Mavs just signed Brendan Haywood to a 55 million dollar deal to play the exact same position Chandler does right? As Haywood now has a BYC he basically cannot be traded. That leaves Chandler who coincidentally has an expiring. He will be traded, probably not right away but certainly by the deadline.

Comment

i think trading someone or using the TPE for Greg Oden? he is a very good defenesive player.
                              http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

Oden is the biggest high risk, high reward player since Bill Walton. I'd be down to use the TPE on him as he makes a pretty big salary and Portland has Camby locked up for three more years. I could see Portland moving on with the failed Oden era and shipping him out.

Comment

Working...
                                X