Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Think Weems Is Better Than Derozen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Who Think Weems Is Better Than Derozen...

This is something that irritates me to no end. Weems may be slightly better than Derozen right now in terms of his strength and shooting form, but for everyone saying he should start let's keep on thing in mind: Weems is 24 and DeRozen is 20. Now who would you rather have getting minutes for development? There is no way that Weems' ceiling even touches DeRozen's basement and Demar is the man who is eventually going to lead this franchise while Weems could, maybe, be a sixth man or the fifth option on a good team if he improves a lot over the next season or two. That's the fact of the matter and all you people who love Weems so much really need to take a step back and look at the guy objectively.

I know he's fun to watch and I do like him as a player, but this is a guy that was almost waived when BC acquired him. He is not the future of this franchise.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

what is the purpose of this thread?

this deservers a... cool story bro.

Comment

I don't think they should be one behind the other on the depth chart at the 2. I think DeRozan should play the 2 and Weems should play the 3. They're good friends. They train together. They play together. It stands to reason on a roster that keeps getting reworked every season, having two players who work well together would be a strength.

To me, it doesn't matter which one is better. When you have two players who have a great relationship and genuine enthusiasm for playing together, that's something you encourage... especially on a team where the defining characteristic has been indifference.

Comment

Uh, I think most folks would agree that Weems played better last season, therefore was higher than DeRozan's basement...

Let's not pit these two Against each other like everyne did Bargs and Bosh. We got a fresh start so let's keep it in a lighter mood...

Comment

Agree with both Mack and geebee. I like Sonny's game a lot, and think he is a good fit at the 3 on a run and gun team, and the point that we shouldn't pit them against each other is a great one.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
            Uh, I think most folks would agree that Weems played better last season, therefore was higher than DeRozan's basement...

Let's not pit these two Against each other like everyne did Bargs and Bosh. We got a fresh start so let's keep it in a lighter mood...
            +1.
            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

ryanc123 wrote: View Post
              what is the purpose of this thread?

this deservers a... cool story bro.
              Illustrating that Weems should not be starting ahead of DeRozen was the purpose of this thread. I thought that was perfectly clear, though maybe I'm mistaken

Someone's basement is the worst player you see someone developing into or at least that's how i see it and what I meant by that statement is that I can't see Weems, who is very close to his prime, ever being a better player than DeRozen after DeRozen hits his stride. The reason I posted this was not to start an Weems vs. DeRozen debate. I have just been noticing that a lot of people like to put Weems ahead of DeRozen on the depth chart and I think that is ridiculous since DD is 4 years younger than Weems and getting him on the court for more minutes is the best way to hep him along. I think Weems should be given minutes, but not at the expense of DeRozen.
              Last edited by hateslosing; Wed Jul 14, 2010, 09:53 AM.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Jack, Weems, Demar, Amir, Bargs to start

Comment

NO one disagrees with your oppinion that Demar as more upside then Weems. Weems looks a little more mature currently then Demar thats it. Demar will eventually be a three as he's 6:7 with shoes and is much bigger then Weems at 215 pounds. In the future I see Weems as the two guard or 6th man and Derozan the future starting three. We will be dynamic and fun to watch in 2-3 years.

Comment

I agree to some degree. Derozan has more potential offensively (skilled moves i.e. step-backs, spins, etc) but Weems is by far the superior defensive talent. Weems has the ability to guard three positions (the 1,2, and 3... if you don't recall, on several occasions, the raps put weems on blazing-fast point guards that were ripping us apart--and he did a great job on them).

Weems is also a better finisher at the rim. Yes, Derozan can get up there with the best of them, but a good finisher is more than just jumping high. The best have the presence of mind to see what the defence is giving them, while in the air, and finish accordingly. The best--Vince Carter. Have you ever seen vince get blocked on a dunk? No, because of his superb body control he will adjust on the fly. Derozan doesn't have that. Someone on RR mentioned this and I agree with him/her... for someone with that much hops, I've never seen anyone get blocked on so many dunk attempts before.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                      Jack, Weems, Demar, Amir, Bargs to start
                      Agreed with everything except Jack. We need that defensively-minded, pass-first PG to anchor the starting line:

Amir / Alabi
                      Bargs / Davis / Evans
                      Weems / Kleiza
                      DeRozan / Barbosa
                      _______ / Jack / Banks

Evans and Banks are expiring contracts.
                      Among the rest, you've got a roster full of kids with plenty of playing time to grow and develop. Plus, you add Barbosa who (hopefully) could bring the work ethic he picked up from Nash.

Get somebody to distribute the ball and you're in business.
                      Are they going to Round 2? No, they'll be lucky to make Round 1, but they'd have been lucky to get there anyway, and this way they get a lottery pick to add to this young crowd the same year that Banks and Evans go away.

Comment

There is " No Better" among the " YOUNG GUNZ". They will be playing together foe next five years and they will all get their share of pie if BC is in charge. Wait for Weems to get a 4 years worth 35 million this year.

Comment

That depends on what you're going for, player development, or winning the game. Notice last season DeMar started a lot during the beginning and middle part, but towards the end, as well as the end of games it was Sonny (next to Antoine) who was on the floor.

I don't disagree that DD has the higher ceiling of the two, but atm the better player is Weems. So if you want to start and end the game wanting to win, then start Weems. DD can still have his minutes to develop even if he doesn't start. But he seriously needs to develop his defensive instincts if he ever wants to be a good player. Until he proves that he can defend, he'll be kinda like Andrea 2.0 who, when talked about, all you ever hear is potential.

Comment

I agree with you, but Belinelli does not deserve more space?

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                              Agreed with everything except Jack. We need that defensively-minded, pass-first PG to anchor the starting line:

Amir / Alabi
                              Bargs / Davis / Evans
                              Weems / Kleiza
                              DeRozan / Barbosa
                              _______ / Jack / Banks

Evans and Banks are expiring contracts.
                              Among the rest, you've got a roster full of kids with plenty of playing time to grow and develop. Plus, you add Barbosa who (hopefully) could bring the work ethic he picked up from Nash.

Get somebody to distribute the ball and you're in business.
                              Are they going to Round 2? No, they'll be lucky to make Round 1, but they'd have been lucky to get there anyway, and this way they get a lottery pick to add to this young crowd the same year that Banks and Evans go away.
                              You forgot to Belinelli

Comment

Working...
                              X