Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jose, Rubio And The Minnesota Timberwolves

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Bargnani still has the allure of potential, and his game still may look incredibly enticing to some GMs out there. The number of Raptor fans who still see him as a future All Star. Rubio hasn't played a minute in the league and there's a chance he might wait until he doesn't have to get paid rookie scale to come to the league, or just refuse to play in Minnesota. The T-Wolves would be getting something of value, and a young big man at that, immediately, instead of waiting for a player that may never come.

Now, obviously I think much more highly of Rubio, but the circumstances that surround him lowers his trade value. And Bargnani could be enticing to a team that sees him as a potential matchup nightmare on the offensive end.
    i'd agree with you if not for the fact that rubio is still SO young...he - and whatever team owns his rights - can afford to wait...him for the best situation (from a team & financial standpoint), and the team until he's fully ready to contribute. even if that takes another few years, he'd still be in his very early 20's. i don't foresee a scenario in which rubio's value is lowered in the next 3 yrs, barring an injury or him forgetting how to play.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i'm sorry, but the notion that even a retard like kahn would trade rubio (& filler to make the #s work) for bargnani (unless he knows with 100% certainty that rubio will NEVER play for minny) is simply delusional.

rubio is regarded as one of the best pure PG prospects in 20 years.

bargnani is regarded as a decently-talented offensive big man with perimeter skills & an aversion to rebounding & defense.

there is NO WAY rubio is being dealt, and even if he was, it would take a helluva lot more than bargnani as the centrepiece to get it done.

geez.
    One of the best pure PG prospects in 20 years, who was drafted 5th overall last year. I think he will be fantastic, but not everyone does. Having said that, if MINN doesn't think that Rubio will play for them, then he will look for the best deal possible. Bargnani might not be enough, but it is hard to know his value to other teams, especially when you see the contracts that are being handed out to other bigs around the league.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Who has more potential , Amir or AB ?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly you can't try and rationalize what Kahn might or might not do. He is completely illogical and the only method to his madness is that he does things collectively. If he wants a point guard, he drafts three of them, if he wants wings he trades for one and drafts three more. Right now Kahn is in asset selling mode. He essentially just sold Jefferson for two guys named Williams so who knows what he wants for Rubio.

What is clear is that he has 0 desire to be competitive right away or try and win any games. Trading Bargs and two 1st's for Rubio might get it done, but then again so might Solomon Alabi.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd agree with you if not for the fact that rubio is still SO young...he - and whatever team owns his rights - can afford to wait...him for the best situation (from a team & financial standpoint), and the team until he's fully ready to contribute. even if that takes another few years, he'd still be in his very early 20's. i don't foresee a scenario in which rubio's value is lowered in the next 3 yrs, barring an injury or him forgetting how to play.
    Well, Bargnani is young, too, and if Kahn likes Bargnani's potential, then why not trade away a guy who has never played in the league and may never play for your team, why not pull the trigger? And in two more years, Rubio won't have to sign for the rookie minimum. He can demand whatever contract he feels he deserves, which I am betting will be more than $4 million. He's then a lot more difficult to trade, since only a team with cap room would be able to afford him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Well, Bargnani is young, too, and if Kahn likes Bargnani's potential, then why not trade away a guy who has never played in the league and may never play for your team, why not pull the trigger? And in two more years, Rubio won't have to sign for the rookie minimum. He can demand whatever contract he feels he deserves, which I am betting will be more than $4 million. He's then a lot more difficult to trade, since only a team with cap room would be able to afford him.
    c'mon, tim. bargs will be, what, 25 at the start of the season? rubio will be 20 this fall, and likely 22 by the time he gets to the NBA (considering there's likely a lockout next year).

5 years is an eternity.

Post Thanks / Like

Rubio doesn't find Minnesota appealing though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Rubio doesn't find Minnesota appealing though.
    few do. point wasn't that rubio would actually ever play in minny, it's the absurd notion that bargnani would be enough to acquire him.

Raptors Republic Rookie Rap Challenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's conceivable Kahn would take Calderon to help transition Rubio to the team. Rubio is young, developing and very apprehensive to taking the NBA plunge; however, apparently he's warming up to Minny and Kurt Rambis. Jose has a lot of NBA experience and leadership qualities, and clearly the guy (Kahn) is not opposed to having a little depth at PG. Flynn is sent packing in the potential deal but I know TO probably doesn't want him so there would have to be a 3rd or even 4th team involved. Seems BryCo is hell bent on trading Jose for a centre if he's considering Hibbert now.

I just don't know what TO could get out of such a potentially complex deal, but I think Minny conceivably has reason for Calderon.
    "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
    ~Rorschach

Raptors Republic Rookie Arenick's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Rubio's game. Calderon's too, but Rubio can be a Chris Paul type of leader which this team needs. Calderon can't. However we shouldn't trade JC before Rubio has even entered the league. Giving Bargs for his rights right now would be bone headed. Like it or not Bargnani is the new leader.
    Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

c'mon, tim. bargs will be, what, 25 at the start of the season? rubio will be 20 this fall, and likely 22 by the time he gets to the NBA (considering there's likely a lockout next year).

5 years is an eternity.
    I'm not quite sure what 5 years has to do with anything. Is that their age difference you are referring to? I'm not quite sure what that has to do with anything.

Raptors Republic Rookie Rap Challenger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, turns out I wasn't toooooo far off with my opinion Minny would entertain adding another guard like Jose! Well, maybe not now cuz Kahn just signed Luke Ridnour to 4 years at $16M earlier today:

"...team president David Kahn put a priority on adding some experience to help the young Minnesota Timberwolves grow together. ...His first move with all that extra money was to add Ridnour, yet another point guard to a team that already has second-year pro Jonny Flynn and Ramon Sessions on the roster and hopes to add Ricky Rubio from Spain next season.

The deal likely means that Sessions, who signed a contract nearly identical to Ridnour's last summer, will be traded."

Decent price tag for a pretty good (not great) point guard. I guess Sessions is in play now...
    "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
    ~Rorschach

Thread Information