Barbosa's Right Wrist Surgery In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa's Right Wrist Surgery In 2010

In late January Barbosa had surgery on his shooting wrist to remove a painful cyst.
    Suns’ Barbosa to have surgery on right wrist, expected to be out for a month
    By AP
    January 23rd, 2010

Barbosa to have wrist surgery, out for a month

PHOENIX — Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa will have surgery to remove a cyst on his right wrist and is expected to be sidelined for about a month.

General manager Steve Kerr made the announcement before Saturday night’s game against Golden State.

Barbosa had the cyst drained in November but it returned and had been increasingly bothering him for the past two weeks.

Kerr says the surgery will be performed as soon as possible, probably on Monday.
    http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010...a-month-68466/

Updated: January 26, 2010, 6:32 PM ET
    Barbosa has successful surgery

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns say guard Leandro Barbosa underwent successful surgery Tuesday to remove a ganglion cyst in his right wrist and he's expected to be sidelined up to six weeks.

Barbosa has struggled with the wrist problem since last summer when he sprained it on a fall while playing for the Brazilian national team. He had fluid drained from the wrist in November, sat out three games and took anti-inflammatory drugs but the problems returned.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4860966

Ganglion cyst
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A ganglion cyst, also known as a bible cyst, is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand or foot. The size of the cyst can vary over time. It is most frequently located around the dorsum of wrist and on the fingers. The term "Bible bump" comes from a common urban legend that treatment in the past consisted of hitting the cyst with a Bible or another large book.[1]

Treatment

If a ganglion cyst is symptomatic, it can be managed by aspiration or excision. Aspiration and injection of hyaluronidase into the cyst is the simpler of the two procedures, but cysts recur in more than 50% of cases. With surgery, the recurrence rate is reduced to only 5 to 10% if the check valve at the joint capsule is removed. Arthroscopy of the wrist is becoming available as an alternative to open excision of ganglion cysts. During arthroscopy, the origin of the cyst can be seen within the joint.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

Now it should be noted that after Barbosa returned from the surgery he played in 31 games. I used the Yahoo "Game Log" stats to look at his post surgery numbers. They were very close to his pre-surgery numbers both of which were career lows in FG% and 3PFG%. He also had career lows in Rebounds Per Game and Assists Per Game

Here are his post surgery numbers in the 31 games including the playoffs

Games----------31
    MPG-------------15
    PPG-------------7.26
    RPG-------------1.39
    APG-------------1.10
    FG%-------------42.4%
    3FG%------------32.4%
    FT%--------------80.5%

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...oqfDXxoqjdPKB4

Did the Raptors get taken on this deal?
    I guess we will have to wait until 10-11 to see how his wrist holds up.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jul 14, 2010, 07:39 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

The other concern I have is can Barbosa play the point guard? Now I realize that at Phoenix it was Nash and Dragic that shared the point but only 2.5 assists per 36 minutes even for a #2 guard is pretty low.

For example over the last three season Richard Hamilton has averaged 4.5 assists per 36 minutes as a #2 guard. Even Ray Allen has averaged about 2.8 assists per 36 minutes over the last three seasons No one would every think of making either of those players the Point Guard.

As much as the Raptors could use another big I think for the Raptors to trade either Jack or Calderon for anything other than a Point Guard with the idea that Barbosa will run the PG as a backup would be very risky.

It seems to me that the only way that this trade for Barbosa may have made some sense would have been if the Raptors could have indeed obtained Diaw to who then could have started at the SF since he is a good passer.

People who like this trade remember Barbosa from the D'Antoni days in Phoenix and not the later ones either. I remember watching him a lot vs the Lakers over the years and recall that a number of years ago he was really good and the last year or so not so good at all. We shall see.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

How many years and how much money is barbie owed?
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Im hoping we get the old barbosa. Im hoping his numbers diping had somthing to do with dragic getting his minutes after he returned. Im hoping! lol even if he does nothing its still a bonus to not have turkyglu for the next 4 years.

Comment

I don't think Barbosa will be expected to be the full-time backup PG. I think BC will find a veteran to split time with him there and allow Leandro to play some SG as well. Marcus Banks/Marco Belinelli could even fill that role on occasion.

Comment

Barbosa 06/07 season 6th man of the year.. averaged 18.1 points, 4.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds. He posted career highs in scoring, assists, steals (1.20), three-point field goals made (190) and minutes played (32.7). Barbosa scored 20 or more points in 33 games that season, surpassing his total from his first three seasons combined (13). Yes, that was the same year we won the atlantic so it was while ago but barbosa can still put up numbers and is still one of the quickest guards in the league.

SG: Bellinelli, Weems, Derozan, Barbosa
            PG: Calderon, Jack, Banks
            Get rid of banks, belinelli, and calderon and get back one guard and we have a much more managable guard rotation.

Comment

No doubt that Turk had to go.

I think the fact that Barbosa's contract expires after 2011-12 (PO in that year) keeps the downside on this trade to a minimum.

The question is will he be able to contribute much or not?

Did BC panic in dumping Turk for a guy whose career may be close to being over because of his wrist problem. We will never know because we will never know who else might have been seriously interested in taking Turk.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Did the Raptors get taken on this deal?
                I guess we will have to wait until 10-11 to see how his wrist holds up.
                Barbosa has 2 years left - with the 2nd being a player option. $7.1M and
                $7.6M. And they got rid of Turk. No way the Raptors got taken.

Even if you think BC panicked, the TPE and banishing Hedo were both positives for Raptor fans. The timing was good after Bosh had left town.

He's not a great player if you want to run a half-court offense but if you want to get out and run he should still be effective at that. Who knows how many minutes he'll get at the 1 or the 2 right now.
                Last edited by Mess; Wed Jul 14, 2010, 08:55 PM.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Buddah, thank you for the graphic image of the ganglion cyst. I was eating, jackass.
                  Your skills at google image search are truly craptastic.

Comment

I don't think the Ganglion cyst is of concern here. And I don't care if it's on his shooting hand. Unless that bloody cyst right smack in the middle of his palm and as big as an apple, I think we'll be fine.

But yes, I don't think he's a PG by any means, nor should he play it. He's score-first no doubt.

Comment

LOL , Buddah
                      You should be worried about Amir's contract rather than Barbosa.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        But yes, I don't think he's a PG by any means, nor should he play it. He's score-first no doubt.
                        For a second there, I felt like I've gone back in time to 2007 all over again and we just traded for Juan Dixon...

Lets hope that Barbie has a longer and a more profound impact on the Raptors.

Comment

A ganglion is a non-issue. It's out, shouldn't impact him at all.

Comment

First of all, I don't think the cyst is anything too serious. Generally speaking, cysts don't recur if they're treated properly from onset and given the clear skills of the Phoenix training staff and staff doctors, I'd imagine the cyst was handled in a timely fashion.
                            I think Barbosa will be a great addition to this team. I would love to see a tandem of Jose and Barbosa. Much like the old Ford-Calderon combos of old. Barbosa may not be able to pass the ball as well as TJ, but I think he's faster. Throwing Barbosas into rotations will give the Raptors a fairly dynamic look. He's fast, can drive and finish with both hands and can score in bunches.He's going to open up a lot of options on offense. Combined with Jose's passing skill and ability to take care of the ball (I think he'll experience a resurgence of he stays with the Raptors) this team is going to be a handful for more more methodical half-court teams.
                            I expect he won't see a lot of minutes to start the season, but his play will quickly change that.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Did the Raptors get taken on this deal? [/B][/COLOR] I guess we will have to wait until 10-11 to see how his wrist holds up.
                              There is no such thing as being taken in the Turk deal...getting rid of him to anyone for anything was a steal...

Comment

Working...
                              X