Playoffs Next Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs Next Year?

Just some thoughts on how good/bad the Raps may be next season, assuming they go in with the roster as is + Dorsey. I can't fathom this being the roster on opening day, but consider this more a thought experiment, and it's basically the offense that I'm focusing on here.

First point.

When you add up the average points scored by all the players on our roster from last season (or, in Kleiza's case, the year before), you end up with a team that scores, on average, 88 points per game. Pretty terrible. But. Consider the continued development of Weems, Derozan and Johnson, as well as Barbosa's off year (hopefully). Also consider that no points have been allotted for Ed Davis, Soloman Alabi or Joey Dorsey.

Is it safe to assume we may see an increase of scoring for Weems and Johnson of about 4 points per game? What about an 6 extra per game for Derozan? If these sound about right, then we're up to 102. Getting better. What about Ed Davis? I'm gonna assume he'll get at least 4-6 a game. Now we're way above the league average in scoring at 106-108. Then add on top of those points any scored by Alabi or Dorsey, as well as any improvement from last season on behalf of Barbosa, and we're now scoring over 110/game.

Second point.

The average playing time, per position, actually equals less than 48 minutes/game, with 36/game at SG (Weems/Barbosa), 43/game at SF (Derozan/Kleiza), and 34/game at PF (Johnson/Davis - davis minutes mirroring johnson's). PG/C, between Jack, Calderon, Belli, Bargnani and whoever backs up Bargnani have their minutes covered. The point I'm making here is that the above scoring averages were calculated from less than a full game's worth of minutes, indicating we should either see a higher point total than stated, or that the improvement in scoring from Weems, Derozan and Johnson will come from simply them playing more minutes, therefore the 108-110 total should be about accurate

Basically what I'm saying is, based purely on numbers, the Raps as currently construed are actually an excellent offensive team. Defensively, we're the same at PG, weaker at SG, stronger at SF, stronger at PF, and the same at C.

What does everyone think? The raps will have trouble with the better teams, but could easily beat the bottom half of the league if they score at the above rate. Is it possible we could have roughly the same record as last year/almost make the playoffs with the roster as is?

Playoffs or no playoffs, I don't really care this year. I'm just glad to see it looks like we have a plan going forward to get some good young talent and build that way.

I also think it's too early to make predictions, there's a lot of moves to be made by a lot of teams this summer. I'll wait til October to make mine anyways...

Comment

its the eastern conference... where the crap rises to the top...

anything is possible

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
        therefore the 108-110 total should be about accurate
        That's crazy, dude... so, you're saying that the Raps are going to lose their best offensive player and somehow become the highest scoring team in the league (Phoenix scored 110.23 ppg last year)? Don't think so...

They scored 104 ppg last year - look for it to drop to around 98-99 this year.

Comment

ihatehaters wrote: View Post
          That's crazy, dude... so, you're saying that the Raps are going to lose their best offensive player and somehow become the highest scoring team in the league (Phoenix scored 110.23 ppg last year)? Don't think so...

They scored 104 ppg last year - look for it to drop to around 98-99 this year.
          i dont think its going to be a problem replacing Bosh's points this year. Bargs had an average of 14 attempts last year so for sure he's going to get more this year.

sonny and demar had only around 7 last year and jack had around 8. plus with barbosa, the raps are for sure going to implement a running game, and with that type of tempo, you get more points, case and point, the suns. the issue would probably be the defense again, unless we get a really good center to patrol the middle.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
            Playoffs or no playoffs, I don't really care this year. I'm just glad to see it looks like we have a plan going forward to get some good young talent and build that way.

I also think it's too early to make predictions, there's a lot of moves to be made by a lot of teams this summer. I'll wait til October to make mine anyways...
            100% agree with you. It still looks like there will be some moves on the horizon. Plus I think it all comes down to defensive structure of the team if we were to make the playoffs. We would need a much better defensive system implemented on these offensive orientated players in order to consider making the playoffs meaning Triano has a lot of work to do this summer.

Comment

I think there's talent on the roster, for sure, but it's very young talent in a league where youth doesn't win, and, at the moment, it's simply not great talent. The Raptors have more potential on their roster than talent. Two years ago, a team with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green and several other fairly talented young players won 23 games. The Raptors very well might end up have a starting five without one player above the age of 26 years old and not one potential All-Star on it. You're simply not going to win very many games with that roster.

And I think people have to stop assuming that just because players will get more shots will their scoring go up just as much. Bargnani took 14 shots per game last season, more than anyone on Boston, Utah and Orlando and only 2 fewer than Bosh. The vast majority of those shots were assisted and wide open. If he gets more shots, his efficiency will go down. Same goes for just about everyone else. I could go in there and make up Bosh's 23 ppg. It would just take about 50 shots to do it.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Those numbers can't be used to forecast the performance of this year's team.

First, not having to worry about Bosh on the block eliminates the need for either a double team or the strong-side perimeter defender to slide down into a soft zone if the ball goes into the post.

The lack of a dominant offensive player means fewer open looks (more doubles) for Bargs, more contested jump shots and more weakside help against slashers like DD.

We're still a lousy defensive team with a lousy system.
                I'd be shocked if the Raps win 30 games.

Comment

I think that Raps score 102 points per game and allow 100. We finish the season 45-37 and make the playoffs as the second seed. We will then lose to the Magic in 5 games.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    I think that Raps score 102 points per game and allow 100. We finish the season 45-37 and make the playoffs as the second seed. We will then lose to the Magic in 5 games.
                    I think you should make this your sig for the 2010-11 season.

Comment

Consider this. The team was totally re-tooled last offseason and the Raptors failed to make it with Bosh on the team. Now Bosh is gone, the team has been retooled again but this time with many more question marks throughout the roster. I'm not a gambler but if I was, the odds seem more likely for them to miss it than to make it. My money is on bust.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Consider this. The team was totally re-tooled last offseason and the Raptors failed to make it with Bosh on the team. Now Bosh is gone, the team has been retooled again but this time with many more question marks throughout the roster. I'm not a gambler but if I was, the odds seem more likely for them to miss it than to make it. My money is on bust.
                        No matter what Colangelo pretends to say, this team is not built to win. He hasn't made one move so far that says any different (including the aborted trade).
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I don't think you can take apart the contributions, fiddle with them and add them back together, adjust to a per 48 minute pace and add them all back together. That's not how basketball works. First of all, there's a domino effect from Bosh's departure, not all good. Second of all, just because a player puts up 10/5/5 in twenty minutes doesn't mean he's a triple double machine in forty minutes a game.

Either way, run with your youth and develop them and just let the season play out. If they make the playoffs, cool. If they don't, cool. As long as the coaching staff doesn't compromise the development of the youth players on the team for a few extra wins.

Comment

Summer league results equal season results. We'll be blowing out every team we play. Will we be in the playoffs next year? Maybe. Probably not.

Comment

Don't know if predicting a teams playoff chances on a theoretical points per game analysis is the best way to go. If you look at the teams that are definitely better than the Raptors in the eastern conference:
                              • Orlando
                              • Miami
                              • Boston
                              • Atlanta
                              • Chicago
                              • Milwaukee
                              • Charlotte

Then the best they can do is finish 8th.

Of the remaining 6 teams in the eastern conference I would not consider the Raptors to be considerably better than any of them. So best of luck, but chances are they will be watching the playoffs next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X