Even though the young Raptors have one more game to play in the LVSL I don't think that their performance today will affect BC's grade in the Summer's first session which ends Sunday with the close of the LVSL.
Comment: I do not give out A+ grades. This is in memory of a philosophy teacher that I had in college who gave a mid-term exam and no student got higher than a 13 out of 100 with one student actually getting a zero for failing to put his/her name on the answer sheet. There was another student who also failed to get one correct answer but got a zero plus because they put their name on the answer paper. I guess he knew who the "zero graded" student was by the handwriting. The test was so hard that when he self graded himself on it he only got a 19 out of 100. That ain't no BS. As I recall I got something like a 8 which was good enough for a C.
So without further ado, no drum roll required, here goes.
1. Draft - Went into the draft with one pick at #13 and wound up drafting two players, Davis #13 and Alabi #50 via a trade with Dallas. Both are long, athletic defenders who have shown a nice shooting touch in the LVSL. Davis needs more work on his offense and both need to add some muscle. Grade A-
2. Resigning of Amir Johnson for five years - Grade A
3. Hiring of P. J. Carlesimo as an assistant coach to work with the young players and help improve the Raptors defense. Grade B+
4. Free agent signing of Linas Kleiza former Nugget SF/PF and leading scorer in the 09-10 Euro-league competition - Grade B
5. Trading Turkoglu for Barbosa. I think if BC if had been a bit more patient he may have been able to have done a bit better than Barbosa - Grade B+
6. Almost trading Calderon and Evans for Chandler and Diaw - I did not like this trade. It would taken minutes away from Kleiza/Johnson, Weems, Davis and Alabi. It would also have reduced the Raptors to only one NBA caliber point guard. While Diaw and Chandler are nice players the take away would have made the trade a push at best and I am being generous with that. If BC had been able to complete this trade I would be being giving him a "D" for pulling it off. Since he didn't - Grade C
7. Failing to trade Calderon and Evans for Chandler and Diaw - Grade B+
8. Returning Triano as head coach. First year as NBA head coach. He did a good job developing the young players and the Raptors were one of leading scoring teams in the league. He could have done a better job handling the lack of communication between the American and Non-American players. He should have started Johnson in the first game after Bosh went out with the broken face. Raptors may have squeezed one more win out of the season and made the playoffs even with their lousy defense. I am giving Triano a grade of B-. That is being a big generous here but Triano did a great job in developing Johnson after the Pistons did squat in developing him over four seasons
BC returns him as head coach for 10-11 - Grade B
9. Trading Bosh for two draft picks and a $14.5? million TPE - Grade at this time is incomplete depending on what BC does with the draft picks and the TPE.
His report card for the summer semester - session #1.
If I missed something that I find out should have been included I will update later.
Overall Grade - B+