Why The Raptors Should Keep Calderon Unless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
    what about your nash comment... did i say no one wants to play with nash ? or did YOU just make that up...

when comparing nash and calderon on D... nash doesnt have some sort of leg/thigh injury that prevents him from staying in front of his man... calderon does... this is why he gets beat and is TERRIBLE on D... when people say nash's d isnt that great, they mean he doesnt get steals like a cp3 or d will... calderon, after the injury cant keep up with the quicker pg's in the league... when team's need a basket against us,,, guess who they try to exploit ?
    NOBODY said no one wants to play with Nash. I was bringing up an example of another PG who is below average on defense. And no one says that Nash is a poor defender because he doesn't get steals. Where on earth did you get that from? Steals has very little to d with good defense. And when teams want a basket against Phoenix, guess you they try and exploit? Nash and Calderon have the same weakness. That was my point.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Besides, considering that Dallas has consistently underperformed in the playoffs, including losing in the first round as a #1 seed and as a #2 seed, I don't know if Dallas is really the team you want to emulate.
      As opposed to Phoenix never getting past the conference finals like seemingly what you want to emulate with Nash(the Jose comparison)? I'd take Dallas over Phoenix every single day.

Comment

Yeah, making the Conference Finals three times in six years sucks. Turning a 29 win team instantly into a perennial contender, more than doubling the win total in the first year along the way, is atrocious. I'd rather be the team paying luxury tax year after year, losing in the first round half the time. Either way, I don't see the relevance.

I think it's less bad to have a below average PG who tries and helps on defence pretty well most of the time than a center who plays average post up defence but pretty poor help defence. The 4 and 5 are the last line of defence. Kareem protected Magic his whole career; Magic's bad defence is an afterthought, whereas Nash's and Calderon's are exposed every game.
        Last edited by TRX; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Calderon is horrible on defense. This is why I want him out of town. You're not going to win anything with key players being pylons.
          I totally agree JC's defence is terrible but looking around the league, alot of the top PG in the league are not exactly lock down defenders, in fact, they're just as bad as JC if not worse.

No doubt JC's defence needs to improve but everyone has to realize two things:

1) the system the Raps played and used is part of the problem for their poor defence

2) the CB1 era is now over and a new brand of style, players and system will be in place

Iam not opposed to trading JC but only if we're getting better players or players that would help the team. Players like JC are very rare in the NBA, unselfish, team first, will do whatever is asked of him for the sake of the team (even if it meant a reduced role). He loves the city (even after his almost trade), T-dot is his only choice. Plus, he's actually a good player. Defence aside, he's a better shooter that Jarrett Jack, he's better at the pick and roll, he's a better passer and is a pass first point guard (which is a good fit on this team that doesn't have any breakdown, create your own shot players).

For a team like the Raps, who has over the years, lost players - great players to other teams for various reasons, with us fans left feeling slighted and develop an inferiority complex that no one wants to play for the Raps cause its in Canada. Here we have a player in JC who embodies what a true professional is, a true team player and represents not only the team but our country with pride, who truly and genuinely loves the team and wants to play nowhere else but here. Lest we forget a few years back when the Raps were facing the Celtics, while the rest of the Raps cowered at the hands of the big bad Celtics, it was JC front and centre who was face to face, mano e mano with KG, didnt back down one bit....

Comment

daveyboy wrote: View Post
            As opposed to Phoenix never getting past the conference finals like seemingly what you want to emulate with Nash(the Jose comparison)? I'd take Dallas over Phoenix every single day.
            Well, first of all, I never said I wanted to emulate the Suns. Geez, I wish people would starting jumping to conclusions simply based on an off hand comparison. I've never once said that Calderon was the long term solution at PG, and have in fact said the OPPOSITE. Do you want to count the number of times I've talked about trading for Rubio? Calderon is a good PG to have RIGHT NOW. He's a very good passer who can get the ball to the young players where they want it and help them develop their offense.

Besides, the Suns have been to the Conference Finals 3 times in the last 6 years, two out of the three times beating teams with better records to get there. Dallas has been to the Conference FInals once in the last 6 years, and were beaten by a team with a worse record every single year.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
            X