Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jose Calderon Talks About Being Almost Traded

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jose Calderon Talks About Being Almost Traded

From his website:

http://josemanuelcalderon.com/

"As you all know, in the past few days there have been negotiations for my transfer to another NBA franchise, from here I want to thank all of the Raptors fans who have sent me messages of support to my site and I have wished me luck. For some reason or another, the transfer has not taken place and I am still in Toronto. I just want to say, that as I have done in the history of my career, I will respect the rules and accept decisions that are part of this game, both on and off the court. However, I do not want to sound like I want to leave Toronto. On the contrary, I have spent five years in this city, I consider myself as one of its citizens and fans of the Raptors. I am also the most veteran player on this team, and although Chris is gone, my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs, that's what I've been training for weeks and getting ready for next season. In any case, whatever happens, I can tell everyone that this goal remains intact and that with the right chemistry in the locker room and with the fans, we can achieve this goal.

Thanks for your support."

Post Thanks / Like

"my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs". since you're already dreaming. why not take us to the championship. im just saying

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose is handling himself like a true professional, too bad other players do not act more like him.

Actually I don't feel the rush to trade the guy. The Raptors will be a better team with him in the lineup and whatever you get out there for him isn't really going to make this team a whole lot better. I say give Calderon another year in a Raptor's uniform playing with Jack and then draft a point guard in the draft next summer.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or is the English too good to be Calderon's writing? lol

Anyway, this is nothing new. He's never said a bad word about the organization, never wanted out. I would be surprised if he said anything but this.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jshchn wrote: View Post
    "my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs".
    Jose was listening to Susan Boyle when he wrote this haha

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish this guy played D so I could justify a reason not to trade him but he doesn't so I can't.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

With Shaun Livingston already signed BC might as well keep calderon. There will be no backup PG if he's traded unless you believe in Marcus banks

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose is a classy guy. Toronto fans seem determined to run him out of town and blame him for his defensive short comings when he played on a team full of defensive short comings. IMO he is a better point guard than Jack and also a better option that the turnover prone JJ to run a very young and inexperienced team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote deafheaven wrote: View Post
    Jose is a classy guy. Toronto fans seem determined to run him out of town and blame him for his defensive short comings when he played on a team full of defensive short comings. IMO he is a better point guard than Jack and also a better option that the turnover prone JJ to run a very young and inexperienced team.
    Jose may be a better pointguard but not for the style of basketball the Raps will be playing next year. And like has been said his D alone is reason enough to have him come off the bench. But as for trading him I would be more than happy to keep him and anyone that loves TO as much as he does, it can only mean good things for the chemistry in the lockerroom.
    "Ball"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

In a way, it’s almost unfair to trade him after all this. I know he’s a professional and it comes with the territory and all that but ... it has to be a jolt to see that you’ve been traded for real by the only NBA team (and city) you’ve known, knowing you then have to begin the process of arranging to sell up and move ... not to mention, for Jose, knowing he had to move his family as well to Charlotte, North Carolina. (I can’t say much about Charlotte as I only went there once ... but once I got there, I stopped for a coffee, got back in the car and kept driving.) Then, to be told that it’s all off and ‘really, we were just kidding, Jose’ ... well, I know how I’d feel.

If it was up to me, at this point, I’d just as soon give him a pass on the trade thing for this off-season. (And I might feel differently if I was actually running the team, yes.) But after all that’s gone on during this last week, if he were to stay, he’d probably up his game to whatever next level he might have in him. If BC somehow decides to not trade him, I’ll be real curious to see how he plays this upcoming year.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw Jose's quote from earlier today. He's a class act. I've always been a fan of his. It's not fair that he gets singled out when it comes to lack of defense. I truely believe that he can get back to his 06-07 form if he can stay healthy. But whatever happens to him, I'm going to still root for him and hope wherever he goes (Hopefully stays in T.O.) that he'll be successful.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Calderon is a much better fit with our new core and he showed it last year coming off the bench with Weems and Amir.

Not only that, but Calderon's defense isn't any different than when the Raps led the Atlantic... the only difference is that we were winning and we had an actually NBA coach. Why is it then, when we're winning we talk about his stellar FG%, great 3PT%, 90%+ FT%, league-leading assist to turnover ratio, and his fieriness (Jose vs KG anyone?). However, as soon as the TEAM starts losing, all we can talk about is his defense?

The team and Calderon in particular were never this exposed on defense when Smith was around. Just sayin.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReeZen wrote: View Post
    Jose may be a better pointguard but not for the style of basketball the Raps will be playing next year. And like has been said his D alone is reason enough to have him come off the bench. But as for trading him I would be more than happy to keep him and anyone that loves TO as much as he does, it can only mean good things for the chemistry in the lockerroom.
    Calderon is a better up tempo point guard then Jack.

The proof of this is simple

Calderon has a career offensive rating of 120

Jack who played a number of years with the up tempo Pacers has a career offense rating of only 109.

That difference is huge. Calderon is a far superior up tempo point guard than Jack.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../jackja01.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Class act.

Raptors Republic Rookie DaBlenda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of if you think Jose is the right PG for the Raptors, there is no questioning him on the "give a shit" chart

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Calderon is a better up tempo point guard then Jack.

The proof of this is simple

Calderon has a career offensive rating of 120

Jack who played a number of years with the up tempo Pacers has a career offense rating of only 109.

That difference is huge. Calderon is a far superior up tempo point guard than Jack.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../jackja01.html

i agree. i've heard guys talk about jack being better at an untempo game but to me that seems way off.
    the only time i remember him being "uptempo" was when he would break and take it to the hole himself.

i remember calderon throwing most of the bad ass alley oops to weems, derozan, and amir. if we want to play through the "young guns", and calderon is commited to improvement, i say it would be a mistake to trade him and keep jack.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Jose has one of his better seasons this year. With Turk and Bosh gone this leaves Jose and Jack as the only guys that can create offense. I really think that having too many guys that wanted the ball in their hands last year hurt Jose, he seemed really passive all year except for when he was playing with Amir off the bench.

Basically, I think he's too nice. If you don't give him a defined role then he won't really have one since he won't force the issue. This year he'll likely be the only playmaker on the court which will benefit him.

Lastly, very classy letter. Much respect for that, could've easily not been heard from until training camp

Raptors Republic Rookie bhattmagandhi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Overall if you combine the numbers of Jack + Calderon they actually equal the same type of totals that Nash + Dragic put up last year.

So i don't get it, why is everyone saying the 2 pronged point guard attack didn't work last year??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why BC is trying to trade Jose and NOT Jack ??

This team is full of young guys who can not create for themselves. They need a guy who gives them easy shots and makes the game easy for them.

Jose is a much better play maker than Jack. He does make more money but who cares ?

Is this leadership that BC is worried about ? What is behind this deal ?

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think with the Raptors core right now, both of them in the roster will probably work. We dont need a scoring point, we have potential big time scorers in Weems, Derozan and Bargs. I say big time because these three are very offensive minded, they can create their own shots and find other ways to score. Unlike with Bosh before, the offense was very stagnant, everybody's just watching him work. The only problem is we have 2 high quality backup PGs and both are not starter material. They way Triano's been shuffling the 2 is good enough. The other issue would be momentum, since you have 2 good PGs, you will have to split the minutes evenly, so if one is on a tear, he will have to stop for the other one to step in.

specially with both "open" to the idea of both of them sharing minutes then let them. i think with kleiza and maybe a defensive minded center, they could get away from the defensive lapses of Jose and Jack. Mind you we never had this issue when Garbajosa and Parker were playing together, coz both had good defense instincts and were able to cover Jose's lapses.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Jul 16th, 2010 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information