X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Calderon Talks About Being Almost Traded

From his website:

http://josemanuelcalderon.com/

"As you all know, in the past few days there have been negotiations for my transfer to another NBA franchise, from here I want to thank all of the Raptors fans who have sent me messages of support to my site and I have wished me luck. For some reason or another, the transfer has not taken place and I am still in Toronto. I just want to say, that as I have done in the history of my career, I will respect the rules and accept decisions that are part of this game, both on and off the court. However, I do not want to sound like I want to leave Toronto. On the contrary, I have spent five years in this city, I consider myself as one of its citizens and fans of the Raptors. I am also the most veteran player on this team, and although Chris is gone, my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs, that's what I've been training for weeks and getting ready for next season. In any case, whatever happens, I can tell everyone that this goal remains intact and that with the right chemistry in the locker room and with the fans, we can achieve this goal.

Thanks for your support."

"my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs". since you're already dreaming. why not take us to the championship. im just saying

Comment

Jose is handling himself like a true professional, too bad other players do not act more like him.

Actually I don't feel the rush to trade the guy. The Raptors will be a better team with him in the lineup and whatever you get out there for him isn't really going to make this team a whole lot better. I say give Calderon another year in a Raptor's uniform playing with Jack and then draft a point guard in the draft next summer.

Comment

Is it just me or is the English too good to be Calderon's writing? lol

Anyway, this is nothing new. He's never said a bad word about the organization, never wanted out. I would be surprised if he said anything but this.

Comment

jshchn wrote: View Post
          "my dream was to lead a new project to take us to the playoffs".
          Jose was listening to Susan Boyle when he wrote this haha

Comment

I wish this guy played D so I could justify a reason not to trade him but he doesn't so I can't.

Comment

With Shaun Livingston already signed BC might as well keep calderon. There will be no backup PG if he's traded unless you believe in Marcus banks

Comment

Jose is a classy guy. Toronto fans seem determined to run him out of town and blame him for his defensive short comings when he played on a team full of defensive short comings. IMO he is a better point guard than Jack and also a better option that the turnover prone JJ to run a very young and inexperienced team.

Comment

deafheaven wrote: View Post
                  Jose is a classy guy. Toronto fans seem determined to run him out of town and blame him for his defensive short comings when he played on a team full of defensive short comings. IMO he is a better point guard than Jack and also a better option that the turnover prone JJ to run a very young and inexperienced team.
                  Jose may be a better pointguard but not for the style of basketball the Raps will be playing next year. And like has been said his D alone is reason enough to have him come off the bench. But as for trading him I would be more than happy to keep him and anyone that loves TO as much as he does, it can only mean good things for the chemistry in the lockerroom.
                  "Ball"

Comment

In a way, it’s almost unfair to trade him after all this. I know he’s a professional and it comes with the territory and all that but ... it has to be a jolt to see that you’ve been traded for real by the only NBA team (and city) you’ve known, knowing you then have to begin the process of arranging to sell up and move ... not to mention, for Jose, knowing he had to move his family as well to Charlotte, North Carolina. (I can’t say much about Charlotte as I only went there once ... but once I got there, I stopped for a coffee, got back in the car and kept driving.) Then, to be told that it’s all off and ‘really, we were just kidding, Jose’ ... well, I know how I’d feel.

If it was up to me, at this point, I’d just as soon give him a pass on the trade thing for this off-season. (And I might feel differently if I was actually running the team, yes.) But after all that’s gone on during this last week, if he were to stay, he’d probably up his game to whatever next level he might have in him. If BC somehow decides to not trade him, I’ll be real curious to see how he plays this upcoming year.

Comment

I just saw Jose's quote from earlier today. He's a class act. I've always been a fan of his. It's not fair that he gets singled out when it comes to lack of defense. I truely believe that he can get back to his 06-07 form if he can stay healthy. But whatever happens to him, I'm going to still root for him and hope wherever he goes (Hopefully stays in T.O.) that he'll be successful.

Comment

Agreed. Calderon is a much better fit with our new core and he showed it last year coming off the bench with Weems and Amir.

Not only that, but Calderon's defense isn't any different than when the Raps led the Atlantic... the only difference is that we were winning and we had an actually NBA coach. Why is it then, when we're winning we talk about his stellar FG%, great 3PT%, 90%+ FT%, league-leading assist to turnover ratio, and his fieriness (Jose vs KG anyone?). However, as soon as the TEAM starts losing, all we can talk about is his defense?

The team and Calderon in particular were never this exposed on defense when Smith was around. Just sayin.

Comment

ReeZen wrote: View Post
                          Jose may be a better pointguard but not for the style of basketball the Raps will be playing next year. And like has been said his D alone is reason enough to have him come off the bench. But as for trading him I would be more than happy to keep him and anyone that loves TO as much as he does, it can only mean good things for the chemistry in the lockerroom.
                          Calderon is a better up tempo point guard then Jack.

The proof of this is simple

Calderon has a career offensive rating of 120

Jack who played a number of years with the up tempo Pacers has a career offense rating of only 109.

That difference is huge. Calderon is a far superior up tempo point guard than Jack.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../jackja01.html
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Class act.

Comment

Regardless of if you think Jose is the right PG for the Raptors, there is no questioning him on the "give a shit" chart

Comment

Working...
                              X