BC's Summer Semester Grade - Session #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC's Summer Semester Grade - Session #1

Even though the young Raptors have one more game to play in the LVSL I don't think that their performance today will affect BC's grade in the Summer's first session which ends Sunday with the close of the LVSL.

Comment: I do not give out A+ grades. This is in memory of a philosophy teacher that I had in college who gave a mid-term exam and no student got higher than a 13 out of 100 with one student actually getting a zero for failing to put his/her name on the answer sheet. There was another student who also failed to get one correct answer but got a zero plus because they put their name on the answer paper. I guess he knew who the "zero graded" student was by the handwriting. The test was so hard that when he self graded himself on it he only got a 19 out of 100. That ain't no BS. As I recall I got something like a 8 which was good enough for a C.

So without further ado, no drum roll required, here goes.

1. Draft - Went into the draft with one pick at #13 and wound up drafting two players, Davis #13 and Alabi #50 via a trade with Dallas. Both are long, athletic defenders who have shown a nice shooting touch in the LVSL. Davis needs more work on his offense and both need to add some muscle. Grade A-

2. Resigning of Amir Johnson for five years - Grade A

3. Hiring of P. J. Carlesimo as an assistant coach to work with the young players and help improve the Raptors defense. Grade B+

4. Free agent signing of Linas Kleiza former Nugget SF/PF and leading scorer in the 09-10 Euro-league competition - Grade B

5. Trading Turkoglu for Barbosa. I think if BC if had been a bit more patient he may have been able to have done a bit better than Barbosa - Grade B+

6. Almost trading Calderon and Evans for Chandler and Diaw - I did not like this trade. It would taken minutes away from Kleiza/Johnson, Weems, Davis and Alabi. It would also have reduced the Raptors to only one NBA caliber point guard. While Diaw and Chandler are nice players the take away would have made the trade a push at best and I am being generous with that. If BC had been able to complete this trade I would be being giving him a "D" for pulling it off. Since he didn't - Grade C

7. Failing to trade Calderon and Evans for Chandler and Diaw - Grade B+

8. Returning Triano as head coach. First year as NBA head coach. He did a good job developing the young players and the Raptors were one of leading scoring teams in the league. He could have done a better job handling the lack of communication between the American and Non-American players. He should have started Johnson in the first game after Bosh went out with the broken face. Raptors may have squeezed one more win out of the season and made the playoffs even with their lousy defense. I am giving Triano a grade of B-. That is being a big generous here but Triano did a great job in developing Johnson after the Pistons did squat in developing him over four seasons

BC returns him as head coach for 10-11 - Grade B

9. Trading Bosh for two draft picks and a $14.5? million TPE - Grade at this time is incomplete depending on what BC does with the draft picks and the TPE.

His report card for the summer semester - session #1.

A ----------1
    A minus---1
    B plus-----3
    B----------2
    C----------1

If I missed something that I find out should have been included I will update later.

Overall Grade - B+
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 05:49 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I would have to disagree with you on the C grade of the Chandler/Diaw trade. If BC was able to pull that trade off, it would've given us financial relief going forward into the next 2 years. Also, I believe Chandler would've been an excellent compliment to Bargnani's game and an upgrade on defence at the C position. Not a fan of Diaw really, I guess that's where your C grade comes into play.

Comment

Look we all like Amir but there are only 2 poeple in the world who don't think he is seriously overpaid....You and BC...

That is a B- at best.....

As for the draft no grade can be given as no one has played an NBA game yet.

Chandler and Diaw for Evans and Calderon would have been a steal....

First off it would have been a good basketball deal as we would be getting the best player and the third best player in the deal...and secondly it was a good cap and money trade.

Not to mention addressing our biggest need in Chandler....

Amir is not a starter dude...He can't stay on the floor long enough to play starters minutes, never has and probally never will......20-26 minutes a game nothing wrong with that but not a starter....I hope I am wrong but not likely.
      Last edited by it is what it is; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Comment: I do not give out A+ grades. This is in memory of a philosophy teacher that I had in college who gave a mid-term exam and no student got higher than a 13 out of 100 with one student actually getting a zero for failing to put his/her name on the answer sheet. There was another student who also failed to get one correct answer but got a zero plus because they put their name on the answer paper. I guess he knew who the "zero graded" student was by the handwriting. The test was so hard that when he self graded himself on it he only got a 19 out of 100. That ain't no BS. As I recall I got something like a 8 which was good enough for a C.

Seriously we here are to talk ball not reminiss about your childhood meomories.....

Comment

it is what it is wrote: View Post
          Look we all like Amir but there are only 2 poeple in the world who don't think he is seriously overpaid....You and BC...

That is a B- at best.....

As for the draft no grade can be given as no one has played an NBA game yet.

Chandler and Diaw for Evans and Calderon would have been a steal....

First off it would have been a good basketball deal as we would be getting the best player and the third best player in the deal...and secondly it was a good cap and money trade.

Not to mention addressing our biggest need in Chandler....

Amir is not a starter dude...He can't stay on the floor long enough to play starters minutes, never has and probally never will......20-26 minutes a game nothing wrong with that but not a starter....I hope I am wrong but not likely.
          1. I have no idea about MLSE's financial state
          2. I gave BC an "A" on this for the five year contract that he gave Johnson. The Raptors had Johnson's Bird Rights. Therefore, to my knowledge the amount of money that they are paying him in no way has limited or will limit what other player moves the Raptors might make this summer.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

it is what it is wrote: View Post
            Seriously we here are to talk ball not reminiss about your childhood meomories.....
            Okay so talk some ball.

I was an adult when I took that class so it had nothing to do with my childhood.

It seems to me that all you are doing here is trolling and not doing a very good job of that either

Comment

Yesterday Belinelli Bargs 13 and 14 points in 20 minutes with the friendly national

Comment

1. I have no idea about MLSE's financial state
                2. I gave BC an "A" on this for the five year contract that he gave Johnson. The Raptors had Johnson's Bird Rights. Therefore, to my knowledge the amount of money that they are paying him in no way has limited or will limit what other player moves the Raptors might make this summer.

ITS CALLED A SALARY CAP AND LUXURY TAX....MLSE MAKES MILLIONS THAT IS NOT THE POINT....

The point is Amir is overpaid and therefore the signing is not an A....

We all love Amir but giving him 6 to 7 million is a mistake...Look around nba websites and everyone is saying we overpaid....Just because you have an Amir Johnson fathead on your wall does not make this an A signing..... But again I hope he can turn the corner, I know he is young but he has been in the league a long time and has proven every year he can not play 30 minutes a night due to foul trouble....

Not trolling....Just saying no one cares about your stories or teachers....I

Comment

Saba88 wrote: View Post
                  Yesterday Belinelli Bargs 13 and 14 points in 20 minutes with the friendly national
                  i think you posted that exact same thing on another forum
                  Thats good for them i hope Belinelli can finally gain some consistancy

Comment

i think most people would agree that if we could just release turk and not have his contract count against the cap we would.... with that being said, the fact that BC was able to turn turk into barbosa, he should get an A+...

caderon trade, if it had gone thru would hav been an A+ as well just to rid ourselves of calderon's contract.
                    not sure why the signing of kleiza gets a B... i think if BC brought back derrick martin you probably would have given him an A...

kleiza is denver's trash... a team that went to the conference finals and lost to the champs, were so close, decided not to bring him back for a reason... he cant guard 3's or 4's... why is that a good signing for us ?

Comment

which part of the amir johnson signing do you like so much.. the fact that the contract is for almost 7 million per year or that it is 5 years long...

couldnt BC hav done a better job negotiating either the total money or the total years...

why give both lots of money and lots of years

7 mil over 3 years would have been fine
                      or
                      4-5 mil over 5v years

we already had bargs, davis, reggie, why was it so important to sign amir and give him both the money and the length ??

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                        i think most people would agree that if we could just release turk and not have his contract count against the cap we would.... with that being said, the fact that BC was able to turn turk into barbosa, he should get an A+...

caderon trade, if it had gone thru would hav been an A+ as well just to rid ourselves of calderon's contract.
                        not sure why the signing of kleiza gets a B... i think if BC brought back derrick martin you probably would have given him an A...

kleiza is denver's trash... a team that went to the conference finals and lost to the champs, were so close, decided not to bring him back for a reason... he cant guard 3's or 4's... why is that a good signing for us ?
                        I don't agree with you.

1. His career offense and defense rating as well as his WS/48 are slightly above the league averages.

2. His last season in Denver he was only 24 years old. He put up a far better numbers at age 23 than Weems did last season at age 23.

3. He led the Euro-league in scoring in 09-10. No small feat unless you discount FIBA as trash which unfortunately a lot of North American basketball fans do.

I saw him play a number of times when he was with the Nuggets. I will agree that he regressed a bit in 08-09 his last year with the Nuggets before going overseas to play in Greece. I think he struggled with the inconsistent minutes that he started to get with the emergence of JRSwish. From 07-08 to 08-09 JR's minutes went from 19 per game to 28 per game while Kleiza's decreased slightly. His biggest problem as I recall was his inconsistency.

We shall see how he works out in Toronto but I expect that he may start and should get between 25 - 30 mpg with some above average results.

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                          which part of the amir johnson signing do you like so much.. the fact that the contract is for almost 7 million per year or that it is 5 years long...

couldnt BC hav done a better job negotiating either the total money or the total years...

why give both lots of money and lots of years

7 mil over 3 years would have been fine
                          or
                          4-5 mil over 5v years

we already had bargs, davis, reggie, why was it so important to sign amir and give him both the money and the length ??
                          I like what BC likes in Johnson. We both recognize Johnson high advanced metrics numbers which ranked him #1 among all returning Raptors in a number of key categories like Net Offensive/Defensive Rating, Defensive Rating, WS/48 among others.

If you go to Arsenalist's column this morning and listen to the BC interview you will hear BC talk about how the Raptors really like the Johnson-Bargnani pairing metrics.

I do to and posted some of it on my Amir Johnson blog back in May of this year.

Here are the top five in minutes Bargnani - Johnson Units Calculated W - L Records

8 – 4
                          10 – 4
                          7 – 4
                          7 – 5
                          9 – 5

http://www.82games.com/0910/09TOR12.HTM
                          http://nba-25-15.blogspot.com/2010/0...breakdown.html
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 02:13 PM.

Comment

#Pause

Comment

BC gets a C-. The only saving moves he has made was to draft Ed Davis who fell into his lap at 13 & to trade Turk(who will probally play very well in Phx) for The Brazilian Blur Barbosa- TO's new explosive scoring 1 man fast break 6th man. All the other summer related moves have been sideways (Kleiza who is nothing more than an average inconsistent player who can shoot 3s ie a 6'8 Bargs) or highly questionable(over paying Amir- whom I like as a bench player, 5/34 million). Alabi, who isn't as good as POB, isn't even a NBA player (2-3 years away at least). BC should be building around The Young Gunz (Captain Jack, Money Weems, AirComp10, Big A, Smoove E) while surrounding them with proven vets like new YG'z mentor- Uncle L (Barbosa).

Fyi- Triano took over for Sam 17 games into the 2008-09 season thus he has more than just 1 year experience as the Rap's Head coach- this is more like going on his 3rd season in charge via his svengali BC who calls all the coaching shots through his coaching puppet Triano. Not to mention that Jay's lack of player accountability (Bargs) split this team up as players (Jack,Wright) wondered aloud wtf was going on? Mr. "I liked the effort" in a late season blow out loss to Chicago, trying to break clipboards while looking like an elementary school principal needs to recognize that he doesn't have what it takes to lead a team of men- this isn't the Olympics full of all NBA players that know how to get motivated for the Gold Medal- it's the Rap's. See it. Believe it. Achieve it. Not. Jay is not cut out to be a NBA head coach- from his too tite suits to his nonchalant, laissez faire attitude that trickles down into the team starting with Bargnani, he's best suited to be an assistant coach so he can be buddies w/ the players.

If BC ever decided to move Barg's with some combination of Bank's, Evan's, Bellineli- I'm sure that he could get a real center and a back up pg to hold down The YG'z in exchange. At least we all now know that Bosh never palyed w/ a real center in TO as BC has just adimitted as much in the media by trying to acquire one as so that Barg's can move into his natural PF(he's a 7ft stretch 4 not a NBA center) position.

Rap's franchise: YG'z > Bargnani

Comment

Working...
                              X