Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Raptors Fans Happiest When Miserable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Raptors Fans Happiest When Miserable?

Eventhough I haven't been around online that much over the weekend, what I have noticed since our recent little winning streak is the overall Raptors participation on various message boards and blogs. Activity is down considerably. Some places are like ghost town's compared to when the Raptors are looking like the Washington Generals (or should I say the New Jersey Nets of 2009-10) and playing miserable.

And what I've come to realize is that Raptors fans seem that they'd prefer when this team is down, because when they're doing well productivity is down ten fold. Perhaps being crap gives fans more reason to comment and criticize instead of being happy and discussing about the good things this team has done to get of out this recent funk or even during similar moments in the past.

So, are some fans just happier when the team is down and out and live for those days so they can say "I told you so" or am I off base with this observation? Do people like change that much that if a team does poorly they hope that it will results in firings and trades? Why is this?

It's the same with every team website ... there's simply more to talk about + argue about when things are going badly.

When things are going well there's more agreement and happiness amongst the fan the base which equals less talking.

There is less unhappiness with players + less need to vent on an internet site ... rather than just watching and enjoying games. When fans go to team sites when their team(s) are successful there is more general agreement with articles + opinions + happenings around/with the team + players/coaches/GMs + overall direction of the team.

The talking continues to decrease the more successful a team becomes (a first year contender vs a team running for their fifth title in a row). It's just the way team websites work. Same deal everyplace else.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

I don't think we're happier: we just love to bitch so when the Raps give us ammo we fire off. When they're playing well there's simply nothing to talk about.

Comment

Both of you are are dead on. That said, it's human nature. Think of your day at school or work. When you come home at night and get asked how your day was, you probably go on longer about bad days than you would good/average ones. Same could be said for major media coverage. Raps get blown out or are on a 5 game losing streak and you get up to 3 columns and a mention within the first 5 minutes of a sportscast. Win 2 in a row and you are back to one article and hilights after the OHL.

Comment

I don't know, maybe optimists are the minority around these part? I'm an optimist. I dish out my share of criticism but I try to find the good in things as well. For me, good or bad, I have a lot to say about the Raptors. Personally I would find it more enjoyable to talk about the team if they were kicking butt all season long. Maybe its just me but I like winners and I like talking about winners. Winners still have flaws to talk about but it would be nice to have more good things to talk about like how many Raptors are going to make the All-NBA teams or who we think is going to be their second or third round opponent or who is the biggest threat from keeping them out of the finals or who's the biggest threat in the west to prevent them from winning a title. Those sorts of conversations, to me personally, would be far more enjoyable than what is talked about here and other places. So when that day comes I'm going to be out in full force!

Comment

I think it has more to do with people needing to express their opinions on why the team plays badly. When they play well, there is not much to say other than the obvious things they did right. When they play like shit, blame can be layed in 100 different places, trades can be formulated and endless shit can be talked. There are many more unique opinions when it comes to losing.
            Its all about the need to be heard.

Comment

drizz wrote: View Post
              I think it has more to do with people needing to express their opinions on why the team plays badly. When they play well, there is not much to say other than the obvious things they did right. When they play like shit, blame can be layed in 100 different places, trades can be formulated and endless shit can be talked. There are many more unique opinions when it comes to losing.
              Its all about the need to be heard.
              Have to agree.

During the 06-07 season - The Raps Fans in the stands were happy!

I think it just the TV viewing and box scoring reading pessimists that are happier when the Raps are rotten. - Or at least they seem to have more to say.
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Its simple TO fans just like to Bitch and moan. Also they always want to seem like their right .For example: Some TO fans disagreed with the hiring of Triano (like me) so everytime they lose big time they can say "See I told you, we need a experienced coach" but when he wins they have nothing to say.

Comment

Don't worry Doc. People go places on Saturday's and Sunday's, I am guessing places more important then internet forums. Watch when we win in the weekdays.
                  Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Working...
                  X