ESPN Focuses On Ed Davis For It's Final Summer League Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Focuses On Ed Davis For It's Final Summer League Article

Drafting for need vs. talent remains one of the more polarizing debates in late spring among basketball fans and insiders. Do you take the best player on the board or opt to fill a positional need? Fortunately for the Toronto Raptors, their desperation for an interior player with defensive chops and the potential to flourish in the low post matched Ed Davis' profile. Nabbing the North Carolina big man with the No. 13 overall pick made a whole lot of sense for the Raptors.

Things were progressing well enough for Davis during his sophomore season at North Carolina. Although he hadn't put up the gaudiest numbers over the first twelve weeks of the season, Davis was quickly establishing himself as one of the ACC's tougher inside defenders and toughest rebounders. The offensive game still needed some seasoning, but Davis was a highly coordinated big with a soft touch. After New Years, he began to more aggressively stake out his territory on the right block, something that didn't come naturally to him in his freshman season. Then, in February, Davis broke the lunate bone in his left wrist, an injury that kept him out of action until a couple of weeks ago.

"Basically until I got to Toronto for that mini-camp, that was the first time I really played five-on-five since," Davis said. "It was rough at first trying to get back into the feel of things. But I think it's all starting to come back together now."

Davis completed his first stretch of competitive basketball since the injury on Saturday when the Raptors wrapped up their summer league schedule with a win over New Orleans. In scoring 14 points and collecting six rebounds in 18 minutes, Davis continued his consistent, efficient week in Las Vegas. He's far from a finished product -- and still not much of a threat beyond 12 feet -- but there's a level of ease with which Davis operates down low. Take a possession in the second quarter when Davis went to work against fellow first-round draft pick Craig Brackins. Davis got the ball off the left block, then patiently backed Brackins inside before unfurling a quick baseline pivot with his right foot. After spinning off Brackins' frame, Davis gathered the ball, re-established his balance then drew contact as he flicked the ball gently off the glass. Count the basket and the foul.

The balance, agility and soft hands have always been there for Davis, but over the past eight days, he's displaying more assertiveness on the offensive end. Though he's still not a guy with a natural inclination to explode from the elbow like Amare Stoudemire, Davis looks much further along than the kid who finished almost exclusively in the basket area at Chapel Hill. On Saturday, Davis even buried a face-up jumper, a rare sight when he was wearing Carolina blue.

For a Toronto team that finished last in the league in defensive efficiency, though, it's Davis' presence on the opposite side of the ball that offers the most appeal. Davis moves exceptionally well against the pick-and-roll, has exquisite timing as a shot-blocker and can clean the glass. Those are important attributes for a Raptors' front line that was bludgeoned inside last season.

"Those are things I bring to the team," Davis said. "I can help the team every night just by blocking a shot here and there, rebounding the ball and just by being in the right position at the right time."

In the third quarter on Saturday, Davis swatted away Josh Carter's layup attempt, igniting a fast break punctuated by a Dee Brown alley-oop to Ronald Dupree. On the very next possession, Davis was on the receiving end of a transition bucket when he ran the length of the floor and finished down the gut of the lane with the slam.

Not so long ago, Davis was projected as a Top 5 pick for his unique collection of talent. He combines some of the finesse of a skilled big man (those soft hands, smart passes out of the double-team) with the assets usually associated with a more brutish power forward (strong rebounding and shot-blocking). When asked to classify his game, Davis demurred.

"We'll see," Davis said. "Right now, I just need to keep working, try to get stronger, quicker and more explosive."
    Source: ESPN.com

Davis is getting a lot of pub from ESPN. I wonder what sort of rookie stats he is going to put up. If he is the first big off the bench for the raps he should get around 25-28 minutes. He will also likely be the best rebounder on the team for the majority of his minutes, so he could easily avg around 7 boards. Triano seems to leave rookies at the bottom of the offensive pecking order so i'd be surprised if he can average over 10 points. Throw in a block and a half and maybe a steal and he could essentially be last year's version of Amir Johnson, but with a little higher ceiling.

Comment

With all the other quality bigs picked this year I wonder if he'll make the rookie team. I am looking forward to seeing his development but more so how he grows into a leadership position which I think he will.

I see in the article where POB may latch onto the Cavs!

Comment

The analysis seems to me to pretty accurate from what I saw during the LVSL.

Having said that the article appears not to mention that Davis is "light in the pants". I can't see anyone refudiating that. Let us not misunderestimate the affect to Davis strength of not being able to work out for a number of months during the spring due to the broken wrist operation that has negatively impacted his bulk and strength at this point.

He needs to add at least 15 pounds of muscle to be an effective defender. Blocking shots in the NBA for the most part is a suckers game. All decent scorers in the NBA can easily draw fouls on shot blockers. Davis seems to get most of blocks coming from the weak side so that should help.

1. He needs to get stronger including strengthening his base.
        2. He also needs to improve his footwork on defense
        3. He needs to be able to go to right. I did see him do this at NC but during the summer league it looked like everything he did was either a face up or going to his left
        4. He needs to make a quicker moves off the dribble and improve his handles. Right now his post moves are way to slow.

A lot of upside here but I see him as a project. How many minutes he will get this season will depend on

1. Whether the Raptors get an experienced big to start ahead of Johnson or be the first big off of the bench
        2. Whether Johnson or Bargnani miss any games
        3. The development of Alabi
        4. Whether Johnson can get his foul problem down to something manageable.

I can see Davis getting as many as 25 - 30 mpg at the top side and as little as 15 mpg on the low side in 10-11

Davis votaries should not get all wee-wee'd up over these comments.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Davis will avg like 7 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in his rookie year.

Amir Johnson will get the bulk of the minutes as a PF and he should avg like 10-11 points a game and 7-8 rebounds.

Comment

Buddafan, your analysis of Davis's weakness are accurate. One thing you fail to recognize is that Davis has great timing on defense and offense. Add in a 36 inch vertical for a 6:10 GUY makes for a great help defender to eventually compliment AB at Centre. Davis gets between 10 minute too 22 minutes of playing time.
            Amir has breakout year

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
              Buddafan, your analysis of Davis's weakness are accurate. One thing you fail to recognize is that Davis has great timing on defense and offense. Add in a 36 inch vertical for a 6:10 GUY makes for a great help defender to eventually compliment AB at Centre. Davis gets between 10 minute too 22 minutes of playing time.
              Amir has breakout year
              I am not only respecting him for his vertical and defensive help right now, but there is another element that I want to see from him as well; If the C**tics or Heat are going to punk us, I hope Davis doesn't mind throwing a punch to one of their players and takes a double-tech or even a one-game suspension for the team. We need that element of a guy sticking up for himself & the team, and I have faith that Bargs can do that soon if he must as well.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                Davis will avg like 7 points and 3.5 rebounds per game in his rookie year.

Amir Johnson will get the bulk of the minutes as a PF and he should avg like 10-11 points a game and 7-8 rebounds.
                That is so true. Ed Davis looks like a teenager similar to Derozan. Except Davis will have to go up against much stronger guys than Derozan did.

Ed Davis will probably take 3-4 years to fill out and become the next PJ Brown.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                  That is so true. Ed Davis looks like a teenager similar to Derozan. Except Davis will have to go up against much stronger guys than Derozan did.

Ed Davis will probably take 3-4 years to fill out and become the next PJ Brown.
                  ed davis's stock is all over the place some say P.J brown some say all horford personally i wish he is more like horford then brown
                  ya dun noe

Comment

I'm a believer. I like him. I think the kid is a ball player. He'll learn a ton, but as long as the effort and tenacity is there, I can see him developing into a very good NBA player.

I'm happy to see him in a Raptors uniform.
                    "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                    ~Rorschach

Comment

Ed Davis(notes). Expect the skilled Davis to be a force for the Raptors once he adds muscle to his slender 6-10, 227-pound frame
                      http://yhoo.it/bma9eB

In the words of the immortal George M. Cohan - "With this I do wholeheartedly agree"

Just my opinion but I think that the other improvements to his game that he needs to make will happen as he adds more muscle and weight. Not necessarily only because of the added muscle and weight but just as much so because as he adds more muscle and weight he will continue to work on and improve his game.
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:09 AM.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I completely agree with all the comments so far. I would also add he needs more explosiveness around the rim, the gym will be the key to alot of thing for Davis.

Comment

all this talk about weight being such an important factor in being an effective low-post player, and no one mentions the guy they just handed a $3xM dollar contract to.
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

This is an excellent point.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              The analysis seems to me to pretty accurate from what I saw during the LVSL.

Having said that the article appears not to mention that Davis is "light in the pants". I can't see anyone refudiating that. Let us not misunderestimate the affect to Davis strength of not being able to work out for a number of months during the spring due to the broken wrist operation that has negatively impacted his bulk and strength at this point.

He needs to add at least 15 pounds of muscle to be an effective defender. Blocking shots in the NBA for the most part is a suckers game. All decent scorers in the NBA can easily draw fouls on shot blockers. Davis seems to get most of blocks coming from the weak side so that should help.

1. He needs to get stronger including strengthening his base.
                              2. He also needs to improve his footwork on defense
                              3. He needs to be able to go to right. I did see him do this at NC but during the summer league it looked like everything he did was either a face up or going to his left
                              4. He needs to make a quicker moves off the dribble and improve his handles. Right now his post moves are way to slow.

A lot of upside here but I see him as a project. How many minutes he will get this season will depend on

1. Whether the Raptors get an experienced big to start ahead of Johnson or be the first big off of the bench
                              2. Whether Johnson or Bargnani miss any games
                              3. The development of Alabi
                              4. Whether Johnson can get his foul problem down to something manageable.

I can see Davis getting as many as 25 - 30 mpg at the top side and as little as 15 mpg on the low side in 10-11

Davis votaries should not get all wee-wee'd up over these comments.
                              Maybe we should stop referring to players "light in the pants" and their "wee-wee's" until we have adequate sources. Maybe next year's Dance Pak members could be a reliable source in the future for that. I keed, I keed... I joke, I joke!

Comment

Working...
                              X