Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeRozan Key To Bargnani's Offensive Consistency? ...And Production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan Key To Bargnani's Offensive Consistency? ...And Production?

We all seen how Bargnani played last season with Bosh out. There are many posts on it. Many articles written about it. To summarize, his numbers dropped right across the board and he sort of faded instead having his own coming out party. I know some people are touchy about Bargnani but there's no way around it, Bargnani choked under the spotlight. He showed that he can't handle being the other team's #1 focus and maintain his productivity. Bosh took a lot of heat off the big Italian. Like it or not but this probably hasn't changed over night. He's going to need help. Now no doubt Barbosa can/will help but he's just a role player coming off the bench. They need DeRozan to take a step forward if they hope to have Bargnani scoring with efficiency and consistency. DeRozan is going to be a key piece to the offense. His mix of athleticism and talent are matched by no one else on the team. Early reports I've read and game film I've seen suggest he's worked on his handle and it's paying off. He was recently named to the Vegas Summer League All-Tournament Team. Not a huge honor but the recognition only helps to validate his efforts. If DeRozan's newly earned handle helps him penetrate the paint or get open it means Bargnani is left with better opportunities to exploit in his own game. Now I'm not saying DeRozan must be the #1 option this year but I am saying for Bargnani to maintain consistency he's going to need a 1B to his 1A.

DeRozan could very well be the #2 option on offense in 10-11, depending on Kleiza who led the Euro-league in scoring in 09-10. In any case "I think" that the Raptors will get enough scoring production all around to make up for the departure of Bosh.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I agree Bargnani did not play well without Bosh following the All-Star break. However, in the final five games without Chris Bosh last year Bargnani's point totals were 17 points, 15 points, 18 points, 33 points and 24 points. And in those final two games he absolutely dominated the Pistons and the Knicks.

Bargnani can be the man. Just watch, he will average more points and rebounds than Bosh this here. Just wait and see.

Comment

I agree with what your saying on some points. 1st off Bargniani is going to be better all sround next year cause he knows there is nomore Bosh period and I have faith he will be better (as long as the raps get a legit starting 5) also with Derozan Weems Kleiza, barbosa, Jack, picking up for Bosh's 24 plus points and maybe rebound prod. They could probably compete for a 5th seed in 10/11 playoffs I personaly feel they will be better withgout Bosh in the long run cause Bosh was there safty net like James in Cleveland accountability is the key

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          DeRozan could very well be the #2 option on offense in 10-11, depending on Kleiza who led the Euro-league in scoring in 09-10. In any case "I think" that the Raptors will get enough scoring production all around to make up for the departure of Bosh.
          So who's drawing the double teams or grabbing lots of attention to take the heat off Bargnani? God help us if it's supposed to be Kleiza.

Comment

J_Dubyah wrote: View Post
            I agree Bargnani did not play well without Bosh following the All-Star break. However, in the final five games without Chris Bosh last year Bargnani's point totals were 17 points, 15 points, 18 points, 33 points and 24 points. And in those final two games he absolutely dominated the Pistons and the Knicks.

Bargnani can be the man. Just watch, he will average more points and rebounds than Bosh this here. Just wait and see.
            The first two games were against real opponents, one having nothing left to play for and the other with lots on the line. His efficiency wasn't good in either (for example 25% from three point land, aka "his bread and butter"). The final two were against push overs, phoning in miserable seasons and neither were very good on defense last year.

Breezyreid wrote: View Post
            I agree with what your saying on some points. 1st off Bargniani is going to be better all sround next year cause he knows there is nomore Bosh period and I have faith he will be better (as long as the raps get a legit starting 5) also with Derozan Weems Kleiza, barbosa, Jack, picking up for Bosh's 24 plus points and maybe rebound prod. They could probably compete for a 5th seed in 10/11 playoffs I personaly feel they will be better withgout Bosh in the long run cause Bosh was there safty net like James in Cleveland accountability is the key
            Considering they have no depth at center now, if they find a decent center the guy is going to be a reserve. Bargnani is the starting center this season. Personally, I think Bargnani needs a safety net because he's not a guy who can take over a game on his own. He needs someone to set him up and he needs someone else grabbing lots of attention.
            Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

It took CB4 quite some time to be an effective #1 option, you have to give Andrea some more time to adjust of being the #1. Be patient, by the X-Mas time we will know it

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                It took CB4 quite some time to be an effective #1 option, you have to give Andrea some more time to adjust of being the #1. Be patient, by the X-Mas time we will know it
                I get what you're saying but Bosh reached that level by age 21. Bargnani is 25 and hasn't exactly instilled confidence in being able to carry the load consistently. How long do you give him before you accept the idea that he's not a franchise player? 5, 6, 7 years?

Comment

Bosh was given the franchise tag on a terrible team in 2004 and 2005. Bosh tried hard but got his ass kicked by the other teams in the league. Bosh's numbers looked good because he was teamed with Jalen Rose and he had a high usage %. Bargnani isn't a high usage player and will use his teammates more then Bosh did. Bosh was a iso player, Bargni is a P & R player. The new offense will allow Bargni too move to the high post like Dirk. This will open up the wings for guys like weems and derozan to go back door or drive to the basket. They will then use Kleiza as the post player or the guy who runs the base line or shoots from the corner. This offense will also allow Amir to be the garbage rebounder on offense. Offense won't be a problem for the raptors

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I get what you're saying but Bosh reached that level by age 21. Bargnani is 25 and hasn't exactly instilled confidence in being able to carry the load consistently. How long do you give him before you accept the idea that he's not a franchise player? 5, 6, 7 years?
                    Being the the team's leading scorer is not necessarily synonymous with being the team's franchise player. For example in Detroit, Hamilton was the leading scorer for years but he was never considered the team's franchise player. Most people considered Ben Wallace the team's franchise player in 2003-2004 and 04-05, though to me it was split between him and Billups.

I see Amir becoming the Raptors franchise player, because his game exemplifies what the Raptors will become; i.e. an athletic, skilled, hard working in your face team.

Most poster here will of course disagree with this, but only time will tell if it happens or not.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

frankthetank wrote: View Post
                      bosh was given the franchise tag on a terrible team in 2004 and 2005. Bosh tried hard but got his ass kicked by the other teams in the league. Bosh's numbers looked good because he was teamed with jalen rose and he had a high usage %. Bargnani isn't a high usage player and will use his teammates more then bosh did. Bosh was a iso player, bargni is a p & r player. The new offense will allow bargni too move to the high post like dirk. This will open up the wings for guys like weems and derozan to go back door or drive to the basket. They will then use kleiza as the post player or the guy who runs the base line or shoots from the corner. this offense will also allow amir to be the garbage rebounder on offense. offense won't be a problem for the raptors
                      Somebody needs to do it in their spare time. in between scoring on jump shots, rolls to the basket, run outs, post ups, dishing out assists, deflecting passes, stealing the ball, setting screens, grabbing defensive rebounds, tipping missed shots to other Raptors players, directing the on the court defense, committing hard fouls, altering opponents shots, blocking shots, giving weak side help, double teaming.

I am sure he can find the time to also be a garbage rebounder on the offensive end. After all the Raptors just agreed to pay him over $30 million so you would think that all these things would be the least he could do for that kind of money.
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jul 19, 2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan, you seem to really like Amir. Amir has interesting basketball talents. He's long, athletic, fast, jump high, has a quick second jump, never die attitude, and improving offensive game. I think his upside is a more offensive minded dennis rodman. His downside would be a Melvin Ely or Kwame Brown. It certainly looks like Amir should be a double double guy with the raptors. THis all hinges on Amir's ability to stay on the court.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          That's because Bosh was pushed into the role when VC left. This season is Andrea's first opportunity to be "the man". Yea sure when Bosh was out last season that he could've taken that opportunity, but that's what 7 games in comparison to how many seasons it took Bosh to finally relish the role....

Comment

Forge wrote: View Post
                            That's because Bosh was pushed into the role when VC left. This season is Andrea's first opportunity to be "the man". Yea sure when Bosh was out last season that he could've taken that opportunity, but that's what 7 games in comparison to how many seasons it took Bosh to finally relish the role....
                            Thats a good point. I dont hate Bargnani, Im not exactly thrilled with him as our #1 either but Forge brings up a good point. 7 games shouldn't be the definition of bargnani's game as a #1 option. Lets hope he brings it on both ends of the floor this season, plus no harm in putting him in this position anyways its not like the Raptors are going for the finals this year. May as well see this experiment through

Comment

I think initially bargnani struggled with the double teams he was seeing but then after he got use to in the last two games
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                              X