Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    There is one other way. They can't do a S&T with Orlando but they can do a S&T with Denver. My guess now is that Colangelo is on the horn talking with Denver trying to work a S&T for Kleiza so that he can then reallocate the MLE to Matt Barnes.
    not sure if that will work. but, i like the creativity ièm sure colangelo and his minions are reading over the rules&regulations several times trying to find different ways to get him for the best contract offer available.

i dont think you can rescind your free agent contract after its already completed. however, if ièm not mistaken you can restructure it so you could make kleiza re-sign for less and you would then have more of the mle to sign barnes.

or as i was reading from that article you posted about barnesgate they have a 2.7 cap exception from the turkoglu trade so if barnes would resign with orlando with a slary starting at his non bird right guarantee at 2 mill we could send that 2 mill. of the trade exception to orlando.

they could sign barnes outright for like the vets minmum but he wont do that because he wants to get paid.

im sure theres several more ways. itès all about bending and tweaking the rules
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
      i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.

i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.

yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.

you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?

uh, that ship sailed a while ago.

we're well on the way...

that BC trades away...

so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
      oh for crying out loud hès a decent player and its not like its for 12 million a season for 5 yrs unlike the last 30 year old we signed(who was also the starting sf for orlando and turned out to be a mistake)this is diferent itès like 9 mill or prolly less for two seasons. he doesnèt work out this year hès an expiring(if we get him) next year and is easy trade bait lots of teams want him. but, those teams cant pay him what he wants
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• So is the deal officially dead?

Comment

• Glen Grunwald, where are you? (Yeah, I know...NYC)

Or how about Tom Penn, the current cap-oligist guy on ESPN...

Who knows what has really gone down behind the scenes. Maybe Barnes twittered his way to confusing things...maybe another team could be or always has been behind the scenes and could emerge in an expanded deal now...

...but why am I getting the vibes that the Raps may not have known what was or wasn't possible at the Orlando end?

Do the Raps have anyone who could be classified as a Penn/Grunwald type cap-ologist now? Do they desperately need one?

Comment

• Update:

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
            So is the deal officially dead?
            According to Doug Smith, "Barnes not likely to be a Raptor, after all"

LINK - Published at 10:04 PM

After Barnes said Monday he’d be playing with the Raptors next season, it’s becoming apparent his addition from the Orlando Magic is on life-support, if not entirely doomed.

Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo did not totally dismiss the deal.

“We are out there aggressively stoking the fire and unfortunately we ran into some difficulty getting this done,” Colangelo said. “We remain interested in acquiring Matt but other teams are now in the mix.”
            Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Tue Jul 20, 2010, 11:40 PM.
            RR OG

Comment

• Comment

• Would this not be a sufficient workaround to get the S&T deal done?? I have read lots of ESPN experts' take on the salary cap situation with Orlando, regarding a S&T of Barnes as was originally reported... if my understanding is correct, I don't really see the big hassle holding this deal up.

I don't understand why the Raptors can't just do a S&T for a 4-year contract starting at the $1.9M max from Orlando, with the built-in maximum 8% increase each season. Toronto could do that contract with an unofficial "understanding" with Barnes that they would buy him out after the 2nd season, for an amont equal to what the 3rd & 4th seasons of the contract would be worth. Barnes would essentially make about $8.5M and only play 2 seasons in Toronto, which is basically what the original planned contract was supposedly worth (2 yrs - $9M)...

Wouldn't that work??? Is there something I am missing???

Comment

• Barnes Considering Five Teams

Posted: 7/21/2010 5:41:00 AM
                  Source: Marc Stein of ESPN

Five teams remain in the running to sign free-agent swingman Matt Barnes, according to sources with knowledge of Barnes' thinking.

Toronto is still one of those teams, sources told ESPN.com, despite the collapse of a sign-and-trade deal with Orlando that Barnes thought would be completed by now.

One source close to process said early Wednesday that Barnes continues to weigh interest from the Raptors along with the Cleveland Cavaliers and three title contenders he has been negotiating with since last week: the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers.
                  http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...21#STORY_27313
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Come on Matt, take the starting gig. Toronto loves you.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Come on Matt, take the starting gig. Toronto loves you.
                      cmon colangelo you worked your ass off to get turkoglu. now let's try to do some good and get barnes.

Comment

• Screwup: The Sequel

Even if it’s not their fault, the Raptors look bad being involved in another botched trade

The Raptors have not had much trouble sniffing out deals this off-season, but completing them? Well, that’s another story.

A week after a swap with the Charlotte Bobcats involving Jose Calderon, Reggie Evans, Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw disintegrated after being reported as done, another fish appears to have squirmed off the hook just prior to being pulled onto the boat.

Former Orlando Magic forward Matt Barnes tweeted Monday night: “Nxt (sic) season I will b playing for the Toronto Raptors.”

With little of its $5.8 million US mid-level exception remaining, the Raptors were believed to be signing Barnes to a two-year, $9-million contract via a sign-and-trade with the Magic.

The only problem was, under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, there was no way to legally pull off such a manoeuvre.

Since the Magic did not own Barnes’ “Larry Bird Rights” which allow a team to go over the cap in order to re-sign or sign-and-trade its own free agents, the most it could offer Barnes was a deal starting at $1.9 million. Barnes had already been offered a similar amount by title contenders like the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers. On the verge of joining his eighth team in eight pro seasons, Barnes was eager to take a far richer pact from the retooling Raptors after signing on the cheap in search of a title in recent years.

Somebody screwed up here. How do the parties involved not know how much they can offer Barnes?

How can Barnes’ agent allow him to tweet about his destination — especially after the Chandler debacle (Chandler tweeted that he was a Raptor. Evans said his goodbyes to Raptors fans. Hours later, Michael Jordan, Larry Brown and the Bobcats pulled out of the swap)? How could that same agent not know that neither the Magic or Raptors could facilitate a $4.5-million per year contract?

Don’t blame Bryan Colangelo for this mess though. He thought he could get the best remaining free agent, a guy that provides all of the elements his Raptors have lacked — toughness, tenacity, defensive chops. He was doing his job. Barnes’ camp weren’t doing theirs and Twitter, again, only compounded the problem.

If the Barnes signing falls through — and it is hard to imagine any other outcome — it becomes another illustration that, unfortunately for Colangelo, some of his best work is the stuff that does not get done.

Sure he miraculously dumped Hedo Turkoglu’s toxic contract — and give him credit, that was the toughest piece of all to get rid of — but he also almost landed John Salmons years ago and looked to have peddled Calderon’s inflated and still-growing stipend to Charlotte for a couple of solid big men signed to reasonable terms. Call the first two no-gos dirty dealings by potential partners and the last one sloppiness, but the bottom line is Colangelo could not close them and as a result, he is once again looking for another option, another chance to pull something out of thin air.

In hindsight, signing Barnes instead of Linas Kleiza with the bulk of the mid-level exception would have been more beneficial to the Raptors. But back when Kleiza was inking his offer sheet, Barnes was still holding out for more money from a strong club. The Raptors could have waited, but might have ended up with neither.

Barnes only became a reality in the past few days and a fleeting one, it appears, at that.

ryan.wolstat@sunmedia.ca
                        can you say unlucky? I still don't understand how him tweeting "i'll be playing for the raptors" could have botched the deal. but, it's ashame.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../14775051.html

Comment

• Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pro-Am basketball: NBA players Matt Barnes (former Warrior, most recently with the Magic) and Jason Kapono (76ers) led Dream Team to a 137-130 overtime win over S.F. City at Kezar Pavilion. The former UCLA teammates each scored 32 points as Dream Team overcame a 17-point deficit. Kapono hit four three-pointers in the fourth quarter, and Barnes' three-pointer with nine seconds left sent the game into overtime.
                          http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPEQ1EGLUU.DTL
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• ^^
                            where was this?

Comment

• BC should have held off on offering Kleiza as Barnes is a much better roster fit in my mind. Plus, I'm sure not that many teams, if any, were interested in Kleiza.

I see Barnes in Cleveland as they can offer the most $$ currently out of the 5 teams but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Miami.

Btw- who cares what he tweeted- who here is infalliable in their ways?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                                ^^
                                where was this?
                                LA Summer Pro Am League I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X