Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 194

Thread: "Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

  1. #141
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    This sort of thing happens too frequently though. If a simple fan figured it out in about two seconds (who's not even a big fan of the Magic), then why didn't anyone catch it? Of course, why didn't anyone catch this before millions of dollars were spent manufacturing and marketing it...
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...927329,00.html
    Because it generates hits. Who cares if the story falls flat? Credibility is no longer a premium in this industry. So long as you're "close enough", you're fine.

  2. #142
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Because it generates hits. Who cares if the story falls flat? Credibility is no longer a premium in this industry. So long as you're "close enough", you're fine.
    +1
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    the way i understand it, the raptors & kleiza can mutally agree to rescind the signing, as long as it isn't officially official (and i have no idea where they are in that process - d.smith is saying that it was 'official' as of saturday, but he also said the barnes deal was pretty much 'done' - without, as tim mentions, taking 10 GD seconds & reviewing the CBA. but hey, he's only the president of the prof. basketball writers of america, why is it his responsibility to question what he's told, he's not a journalist or anyth...oh, wait.)...ok, end rant.

    so, if the raps & kleiza rescind the signing, denver retains his rights - doesn't really mean anything for them. the raps can then try to work a S&T, offering a future (2nd rd) pick & a portion of the TPE from the bosh S&T to denver in exchange for kleiza. if this happens, the raps would retain the MLE and be free to waste it on a psycho like barnes, who'd be playing for his 8th team in 9 seasons. YAY! y'know, when a talented, gritty, defensive-oriented athletic player hops from team to team with the frequency of a cheap AM radio (nod to classic SNL), there's A FUCKING REASON. it's because he's CRAZY. but hey, let's go get him, he'll do a fantastic job of helping the raps compete JUST ENOUGH to fool the retards who line MLSE's pockets into thinking the raps have a chance to squeak into the playoffs. ah, the treadmill, such a fun ride to nowheresville.
    You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team? Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team. Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league. If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow! But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity, pile up a terrible season, maybe get a good draft pick, and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.

  4. #144
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team? Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team. Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league. If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow! But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity, pile up a terrible season, maybe get a good draft pick, and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.
    i wasn't talking about you specifically, but i guess if the shoe fits...
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  5. #145
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    You kidding me? How do you expect the Young Gunz to get any better when there's nobody pushing them within the team?
    i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Barnes is for surely a nut job, but this is exactly the kind of guy we need to instill some attitude into this team.
    i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Its sounds to me like your completely writing the capability of these young guys off, but they could very well be the biggest surprise in the league.
    yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    If BC pulls off a Barnes signing, wow!
    you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    But ya your right lets get robbed of our dignity,
    uh, that ship sailed a while ago.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    pile up a terrible season,
    we're well on the way...

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    maybe get a good draft pick,
    that BC trades away...

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    and show our young guys that we don't care about winning. Cool.
    so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

    look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
    Last edited by yertu damkule; Tue Jul 20th, 2010 at 01:46 PM.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  6. #146
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Because it generates hits. Who cares if the story falls flat? Credibility is no longer a premium in this industry. So long as you're "close enough", you're fine.
    [Sigh] Can you imagine if All The President's Men took place today? It would take about five minutes.

    "You've got an unnamed source telling you the President's involved in the Watergate break-in? Let's print it!"

  7. #147
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    [Sigh] Can you imagine if All The President's Men took place today? It would take about five minutes.

    "You've got an unnamed source telling you the President's involved in the Watergate break-in? Let's print it!"
    Actually, the value of printing that in an era like today where everyone can do some pretty crazy research, is that there would probably be 500 investigators who'd want to be the first to bust out with legitimate info. So, rather than leaving the investigation in the hands of two reporters, by cracking the story before there's really a story, it gets a significantly larger number of people involved in the investigation.

    To continue, i can see two immediate outcomes of this. The first is that more people would become more knowledgeable about the Watergate break in. The second is that there would not be as much credibility in whatever "final reports" were produced. This may have lead to a reality where Nixon might not have been compelled to step down.

    One final thought: the idea that Nixon stepped down kinda allowed for "closure". Nixon stepping down, scandal over, everyone goes back to their normal lives. If he didn't step down, outrage continues, perhaps the future course of American politics changes and Jimmy Carter rides two consecutive terms riding a wave of anti-Nixon and anti-republican senitment. Reagan doesn't get his two terms, Bush Sr. loses his eight years of vice-presidency, and in general, world peace is declared.

    Either that or the Soviets capitalize on American disenchantment and we'd all be behind the Iron Curtain at the moment.

  8. #148
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    "You've got an unnamed source telling you the President's involved in the Watergate break-in? Let's print it!"
    If Afghanistan and Iraq taught me anything in this day in age it's that really bad stories tend to get suppressed until there's no hiding it or somebody leaks information.

  9. #149
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If Afghanistan and Iraq taught me anything in this day in age it's that really bad stories tend to get suppressed until there's no hiding it or somebody leaks information.
    They get suppressed, but only in the mainstream. The biggest value of modern social media (coming from someone with no facebook page, no twitter account, and, truth be told, no cell phone) is its ability to get people ahead of the game, where, by the time when it comes that "there's no hiding it or someone leaks information," any admission comes way too late. Ie, the admission is not a revelation (like Nixon's bomb when he basically admitted he was, despite his cries to contrary, a crook), but a pressure release vale of sorts.

    Social media will eventually bring us to a point when its no longer adequate for the powers to simply admit. they must begin processes of action or accountability.

    Go Raps!

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.



    i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.



    yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.



    you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?



    uh, that ship sailed a while ago.



    we're well on the way...



    that BC trades away...



    so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

    look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
    Nice bball ineptitude man, you must work for the Raps PR department.

  11. #151
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    There is one other way. They can't do a S&T with Orlando but they can do a S&T with Denver. My guess now is that Colangelo is on the horn talking with Denver trying to work a S&T for Kleiza so that he can then reallocate the MLE to Matt Barnes.
    not sure if that will work. but, i like the creativity ièm sure colangelo and his minions are reading over the rules&regulations several times trying to find different ways to get him for the best contract offer available.

    i dont think you can rescind your free agent contract after its already completed. however, if ièm not mistaken you can restructure it so you could make kleiza re-sign for less and you would then have more of the mle to sign barnes.

    or as i was reading from that article you posted about barnesgate they have a 2.7 cap exception from the turkoglu trade so if barnes would resign with orlando with a slary starting at his non bird right guarantee at 2 mill we could send that 2 mill. of the trade exception to orlando.

    they could sign barnes outright for like the vets minmum but he wont do that because he wants to get paid.

    im sure theres several more ways. itès all about bending and tweaking the rules
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  12. #152
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i dunno, i guess i figured they'd push each other. if they're relying on a guy who'd be a) playing for his 8th team in 9 years, & b) is insane to provide adequate motivation, they've got bigger issues.



    i'm not totally averse to the IDEA of a matt barnes - i like what he brings to the court - but there are simply too many question marks around him that it doesn't make sense for this team RIGHT NOW. barnes is a cog in the wheel of a contending team, not a rudder for a rebuilding one.



    yes, they could. but that would/could be the case with or without barnes.



    you're right - WOW! how exciting, all these moves, all these new players. it sure ain't boring. WOW! i wonder if laker fans are complaining about how boring a summer kupchak has provided them?



    uh, that ship sailed a while ago.



    we're well on the way...



    that BC trades away...



    so, the way to show they 'young guys' that they care about winning is to remain a perpetual treadmill team? you think they aren't aware of how teams that intend to truly compete are built? you think they don't look around the league & see that the teams that compete/contend year-in & year-out are the ones that practice stability & patience?

    look, i really don't have much issue with obtaining barnes for what amounts to nothing. i just don't think anyone should believe that he's some kind of tonic that will make them an actual competetive team. if he does come to TO, it's for the $$, and it's likely to be on a short-term deal, so he's going to be looking to maximize his opportunity to earn one last decent contract. on a contending team, that's not a big deal, but on a rebuilding one, it is.
    oh for crying out loud hès a decent player and its not like its for 12 million a season for 5 yrs unlike the last 30 year old we signed(who was also the starting sf for orlando and turned out to be a mistake)this is diferent itès like 9 mill or prolly less for two seasons. he doesnèt work out this year hès an expiring(if we get him) next year and is easy trade bait lots of teams want him. but, those teams cant pay him what he wants
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  13. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So is the deal officially dead?

  14. #154
    Raptors Republic Rookie raptor-raj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Glen Grunwald, where are you? (Yeah, I know...NYC)

    Or how about Tom Penn, the current cap-oligist guy on ESPN...

    Who knows what has really gone down behind the scenes. Maybe Barnes twittered his way to confusing things...maybe another team could be or always has been behind the scenes and could emerge in an expanded deal now...

    ...but why am I getting the vibes that the Raps may not have known what was or wasn't possible at the Orlando end?

    Do the Raps have anyone who could be classified as a Penn/Grunwald type cap-ologist now? Do they desperately need one?

  15. #155
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Update:

    Quote SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
    So is the deal officially dead?
    According to Doug Smith, "Barnes not likely to be a Raptor, after all"

    LINK - Published at 10:04 PM

    After Barnes said Monday he’d be playing with the Raptors next season, it’s becoming apparent his addition from the Orlando Magic is on life-support, if not entirely doomed.

    Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo did not totally dismiss the deal.

    “We are out there aggressively stoking the fire and unfortunately we ran into some difficulty getting this done,” Colangelo said. “We remain interested in acquiring Matt but other teams are now in the mix.”
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Tue Jul 20th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.

  16. #156
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  17. #157
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Would this not be a sufficient workaround to get the S&T deal done?? I have read lots of ESPN experts' take on the salary cap situation with Orlando, regarding a S&T of Barnes as was originally reported... if my understanding is correct, I don't really see the big hassle holding this deal up.

    I don't understand why the Raptors can't just do a S&T for a 4-year contract starting at the $1.9M max from Orlando, with the built-in maximum 8% increase each season. Toronto could do that contract with an unofficial "understanding" with Barnes that they would buy him out after the 2nd season, for an amont equal to what the 3rd & 4th seasons of the contract would be worth. Barnes would essentially make about $8.5M and only play 2 seasons in Toronto, which is basically what the original planned contract was supposedly worth (2 yrs - $9M)...

    Wouldn't that work??? Is there something I am missing???

  18. #158
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Barnes Considering Five Teams

    Posted: 7/21/2010 5:41:00 AM
    Source: Marc Stein of ESPN

    Five teams remain in the running to sign free-agent swingman Matt Barnes, according to sources with knowledge of Barnes' thinking.

    Toronto is still one of those teams, sources told ESPN.com, despite the collapse of a sign-and-trade deal with Orlando that Barnes thought would be completed by now.

    One source close to process said early Wednesday that Barnes continues to weigh interest from the Raptors along with the Cleveland Cavaliers and three title contenders he has been negotiating with since last week: the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...21#STORY_27313
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  19. #159
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Come on Matt, take the starting gig. Toronto loves you.

  20. #160
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Come on Matt, take the starting gig. Toronto loves you.
    cmon colangelo you worked your ass off to get turkoglu. now let's try to do some good and get barnes.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •