Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    The Raps would have to clear 17m or so in salary to sign Barnes to the reported 4.5m deal. In other words that route is totally impossible.
    no, are you sure?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
      can we do a one year deal for the rest of the mid level and then do a contract extension for 10 mill over two years?

this would have worked if bosh wasn't signed and traded?
      I suppose in theory, yeah, why couldn't we sign him to what would be like a 1.3m dollar contract this year (or whatever remains from the MLE), then next year sign him to a new, "Highly Overpriced Deal" (BC trademarked term, I think) to compensate? Such an agreement would require a huge leap of faith from Barnes, although I guess I don't know the value of the contracts that he was offered from the other teams. If the Celtics and Lakers, for example, were offering roughly the same, perhaps a verbal agreement to sign a bigger contract next year could be enough to convince him to stay with the Raps.

I think, in the above scenario, that it would be either illegal, or would exploit the CBA to a degree that could set a new precedent in terms of getting around the salary cap. I believe something similar was discussed on these boards during the Bosh/Wade/James fiasco, something like getting them to sign for super cheap one year contracts, then next year signing them to huger contracts (as the team that signed them could then go over the cap to resign their own F/A's).

Comment

no, are you sure?
        No, I'm not sure. But, adding up the value of all the contracts they have currently (including Kleiza), you'd have to deduct enough salary from that total to bring them $4.5m below the salary cap, so they can then sign Barnes for that amount. It is my understanding that, once you're over the cap, and once you've used your MLE and BAE (both of which the Raps have used, on Kleiza and Rasho - last year - respectively), that means no F/A's for you.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          No, I'm not sure. But, adding up the value of all the contracts they have currently (including Kleiza), you'd have to deduct enough salary from that total to bring them $4.5m below the salary cap, so they can then sign Barnes for that amount. It is my understanding that, once you're over the cap, and once you've used your MLE and BAE (both of which the Raps have used, on Kleiza and Rasho - last year - respectively), that means no F/A's for you.
          isn't slary cap space get taken by like half the amount of the actual figures. so it would be like 2 and a half million in cap space we would need. i don't know but moving on kleiza i think is a nice pickup he can play defence and is younger than barnes.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Looks like the deal hit a rough patch, the Magic don't have enough to do a sign and trade and the Raptors can't sign him outright. They only way this'd work is he takes less money but that doesn't seem likely.

Matt Barnes-to-Toronto Deal Dead?

by Marcel Mutoni / @marcel_mutoni

At one point last night, everyone assumed Matt Barnes would be living and working in Toronto next season. Barnes certainly did.

Now, however, that might not be the case. Indications are that Matt isn’t headed to the Raptors; not for the time being, anyway.

The reasons are financial — as in neither Orlando or Toronto has the money to pay Barnes what he wants — and the Orlando Sentinel cobbled together the details:

According to Yahoo! Sports, the deal would be worth $9 million over two years, including a player option for the 2011-12 season. (ESPN.com is reporting the deal is worth $10 million over two years.) But the Toronto Raptors are out of cap room and already have used their midlevel exception this offseason to acquire Linas Kleiza as a restricted free agent from the Denver Nuggets. Therefore, the Raptors don’t have the ability under league rules to pay Barnes $4.5 million a year.

So, where would Barnes get that money? The original ESPN.com report by Marc Stein said the deal would be contingent on the Raptors working out a sign-and-trade deal with the Orlando Magic. But it’s clear that the Magic don’t have $4.5 million to give Barnes as a prelude to a sign-and-trade.

It appears that Barnes and the Raptors will have to agree to a new deal — one for significantly less than $4.5 million. If they can’t reach a new deal, Barnes would remain on the free-agent market.

This is unfortunate for Barnes, whose agent and the GMs in both Toronto and Orlando seem to have all dropped the ball here.

It’s back to the free agency drawing board for everyone involved in this deal.
            http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...to-trade-dead/

Comment

• One other alternative (again, not sure if it's possible): Can we sign him for the rest of the MLE + the Veteran's Minimum? I think that would take him to around 3 million, give or take. I'm fairly sure though that that is quite impossible, hence I'm not sure why I even bothered to type this out. Or that last sentence.

Comment

• Are the Raptors run by clowns -- MLSE YES -- Raptors Organ. NO
                Is BC a Clown -- NO
                Would this be out in the Media if Raptor were not able to execute on this signing/trade -- NO

BC has a plan and will he will execute...either straight-up or he will find someone to Tango - This may even lead to something related to JOSE -- who knows... but BC will execute

THE END

Comment

• Damn are the raps cursed or something.

Comment

• The Magic could try and sign using the Non-Bird exception. The maximum that they could offer Barnes under the Non-Bird exception would be a little over $1.9 million for 10-11 and give him a 8% allowable increase for 2011-12.

It seem like Barnes is looking for more money than that.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Things are getting ridiculous now at this point...

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      The Magic could try and sign using the Non-Bird exception. The maximum that they could offer Barnes under the Non-Bird exception would be a little over $1.9 million for 10-11 and give him a 8% allowable increase for 2011-12.

It seem like Barnes is looking for more money than that.
                      Can you do a S&T using signing exceptions other than the Bird?

Comment

• I've wanted to see barnes in a raps uni for a long time, so i'll be disappointed if this falls through. Is it possible for use to use our trade exception for gortat, then execute a sign and trade for barnes? Can the raps just find any team with cap room and execute a sign and trade with them for our trade exception?

Tim W. as our resident expert on all things trade related your thoughts?
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                          Damn are the raps cursed or something.
                          The Raptors never issued a PR on this deal.

This was a rumor fueled by Yahoo and ESPN. I should have known better than to rely on ESPN for anything. My bad.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

isn't slary cap space get taken by like half the amount of the actual figures. so it would be like 2 and a half million in cap space we would need. i don't know but moving on kleiza i think is a nice pickup he can play defence and is younger than barnes.
                            Not sure. If so, it would mean the Raps would need to clear 15m instead of 17m. Still impossible.

Also, I like the Kleiza signing as well. Good fit in TO. I'm sure there are other veterans we can get who can impart the defensive philosophy upon the Raps' youth, so not getting Barnes isn't that big a deal for me. They do definitely need some good vets there though, as a team of rookies and such needs some peer-mentoring. I also think making the playoffs is about as good experience as you can get in the league, so, regardless of what other people may argue, I still think it's important for the team to try and get there. Barnes would have helped them quite a bit i think towards that end, but not to the degree that getting a good back-up at the 5-spot would have/will.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Things are getting ridiculous now at this point...

Pretty sure you can't do a S&T using signing exceptions.
                              I believe that max that the Magic can sign him for and then trade him is a little over $1.9 in 10-11 and 8% increase using the Non-Bird Exception. You can't sign someone with the MLE and then do a S&T with that player.

It seems Barnes is looking for more than $1.9 million in 10-11.

Comment

• Another team that is qualified under the NBA CBA could sign Barnes for $5 million and then agree, unofficially of course to trade him to the Raptors on Dec 15th which would be the earliest that they could make the trade.

Of course there is no guarantee that the team that signed him would want to trade him come Dec 15th.

Comment

Working...
                                X