Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: "Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Screwup: The Sequel

Even if it’s not their fault, the Raptors look bad being involved in another botched trade

The Raptors have not had much trouble sniffing out deals this off-season, but completing them? Well, that’s another story.

A week after a swap with the Charlotte Bobcats involving Jose Calderon, Reggie Evans, Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw disintegrated after being reported as done, another fish appears to have squirmed off the hook just prior to being pulled onto the boat.

Former Orlando Magic forward Matt Barnes tweeted Monday night: “Nxt (sic) season I will b playing for the Toronto Raptors.”

With little of its $5.8 million US mid-level exception remaining, the Raptors were believed to be signing Barnes to a two-year, $9-million contract via a sign-and-trade with the Magic.

The only problem was, under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, there was no way to legally pull off such a manoeuvre.

Since the Magic did not own Barnes’ “Larry Bird Rights” which allow a team to go over the cap in order to re-sign or sign-and-trade its own free agents, the most it could offer Barnes was a deal starting at $1.9 million. Barnes had already been offered a similar amount by title contenders like the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers. On the verge of joining his eighth team in eight pro seasons, Barnes was eager to take a far richer pact from the retooling Raptors after signing on the cheap in search of a title in recent years.

Somebody screwed up here. How do the parties involved not know how much they can offer Barnes?

How can Barnes’ agent allow him to tweet about his destination — especially after the Chandler debacle (Chandler tweeted that he was a Raptor. Evans said his goodbyes to Raptors fans. Hours later, Michael Jordan, Larry Brown and the Bobcats pulled out of the swap)? How could that same agent not know that neither the Magic or Raptors could facilitate a $4.5-million per year contract?

Don’t blame Bryan Colangelo for this mess though. He thought he could get the best remaining free agent, a guy that provides all of the elements his Raptors have lacked — toughness, tenacity, defensive chops. He was doing his job. Barnes’ camp weren’t doing theirs and Twitter, again, only compounded the problem.

If the Barnes signing falls through — and it is hard to imagine any other outcome — it becomes another illustration that, unfortunately for Colangelo, some of his best work is the stuff that does not get done.

Sure he miraculously dumped Hedo Turkoglu’s toxic contract — and give him credit, that was the toughest piece of all to get rid of — but he also almost landed John Salmons years ago and looked to have peddled Calderon’s inflated and still-growing stipend to Charlotte for a couple of solid big men signed to reasonable terms. Call the first two no-gos dirty dealings by potential partners and the last one sloppiness, but the bottom line is Colangelo could not close them and as a result, he is once again looking for another option, another chance to pull something out of thin air.

In hindsight, signing Barnes instead of Linas Kleiza with the bulk of the mid-level exception would have been more beneficial to the Raptors. But back when Kleiza was inking his offer sheet, Barnes was still holding out for more money from a strong club. The Raptors could have waited, but might have ended up with neither.

Barnes only became a reality in the past few days and a fleeting one, it appears, at that.

[email protected]
    can you say unlucky? I still don't understand how him tweeting "i'll be playing for the raptors" could have botched the deal. but, it's ashame.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../14775051.html
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pro-Am basketball: NBA players Matt Barnes (former Warrior, most recently with the Magic) and Jason Kapono (76ers) led Dream Team to a 137-130 overtime win over S.F. City at Kezar Pavilion. The former UCLA teammates each scored 32 points as Dream Team overcame a 17-point deficit. Kapono hit four three-pointers in the fourth quarter, and Barnes' three-pointer with nine seconds left sent the game into overtime.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SPEQ1EGLUU.DTL
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

^^
    where was this?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

BC should have held off on offering Kleiza as Barnes is a much better roster fit in my mind. Plus, I'm sure not that many teams, if any, were interested in Kleiza.

I see Barnes in Cleveland as they can offer the most $$ currently out of the 5 teams but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Miami.

Btw- who cares what he tweeted- who here is infalliable in their ways?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    ^^
    where was this?
    LA Summer Pro Am League I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
    BC should have held off on offering Kleiza as Barnes is a much better roster fit in my mind. Plus, I'm sure not that many teams, if any, were interested in Kleiza.

I see Barnes in Cleveland as they can offer the most $$ currently out of the 5 teams but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Miami.

Btw- who cares what he tweeted- who here is infalliable in their ways?
    did you not read this?

In hindsight, signing Barnes instead of Linas Kleiza with the bulk of the mid-level exception would have been more beneficial to the Raptors. But back when Kleiza was inking his offer sheet, Barnes was still holding out for more money from a strong club. The Raptors could have waited, but might have ended up with neither.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

did you not read this?
    Yes, I did read it. I'm just offering my 2 cents as this is a forum- is it not?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did read it. I'm just offering my 2 cents as this is a forum- is it not?
    ya and i'm just rititterating that that statement was pointless because it's already been explained that it was too risky

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

ya and i'm just rititterating that that statement was pointless because it's already been explained that it was too risky
    Who are you the official Raptor Republic forum post monitor?lol That's your opinion, fair enough.

Btw- it's spelled "reiterating" kiddo. Like Melle Mel would say- step off!

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Windhorst - Cleveland Plains Dealer - Cavs Beat Writer
    PDcavsinsider
    Barnes has made "just" $7.5 mill in career so difference of $2-4 mill in a contract very significant to him. Still, he's a role player. 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

"Still he's a role player" just about covers it, except to add one that teams don't want to seem to keep for very long. Even the Raptors offer was only for two years with an opt out in the second year.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are you the official Raptor Republic forum post monitor?lol That's your opinion, fair enough.

Btw- it's spelled "reiterating" kiddo. Like Melle Mel would say- step off!
    Technical foul!

Post Thanks / Like

It must sicken him to see guys like Mo Pete (no offense to Mo), who are no better and who have made a fortune. Ah, the benefits of sticking in one place and carving a niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Barnes Leaning Towards Contender
    More Cavaliers News

Jul 21, 2010 3:29 PM EST

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes is leaning towards signing with a contender, according to sources.

Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that Barnes could make more money with a team like the Cavaliers, but could opt for less to play for a championship.

Via Brian Windhorst/Cleveland Plain Dealer (via Twitter)

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...rds_contender/

Ah the old "sources" source.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god, am I the only one who thinks Barnes is a total clown? The only reason I would want to sign him is to fight Bosh during the first Heat/Raps game at the ACC. The guy tried to punk Kobe last year and the man never flinched. I hope he goes to Boston so I can continue to jeer his childish antics. I really don't like Barnes.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because Kobe is tough. I'm all down for the Raptors to stop being everyone's friend. Last year if one of the guys got sent to the deck he was luck to get a helping hand back up, let alone what would be justified and expected on any team with self respect and backbone.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kapono & Barnes are on a Dream Team??????????????????

I am confused. Maybe the piece was written by a basketball reporter from Bora Bora.

Post Thanks / Like

WojYahooNBA

Unless Cleveland raises multi-year offer that starts around $3.5M, Matt Barnes will sign a 1-year, $1.7M deal with Lakers, sources tell Y
    http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

That is not as much as Orlando can offer him in a S&T with the Raptors.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barnes just signed;

Matt barnes just signed with LA Lakers...another one bites the dust...
    What a joke raptors are becoming,I'm predicting not more than 20 wins..I'll put my house on it...

P.S

Chris Paul is available...lol..he ain't coming here.
    U know how in soccer there is the elite and garbage...yeah were the garbage..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Matt barnes just signed with LA Lakers...another one bites the dust...
    What a joke raptors are becoming,I'm predicting not more than 20 wins..I'll put my house on it...

P.S

Chris Paul is available...lol..he ain't coming here.
    U know how in soccer there is the elite and garbage...yeah were the garbage..
    According to what Lisa Dillman who covers the Lakers and various Lakers blog Barnes has not yet signed with the Lakers. They are however, one of the two teams that he is considering

Barnes Down To Lakers, Cavaliers

Jul 22, 2010 3:41 PM EST

Matt Barnes is reportedly down to two suitors, with the two-time defending champion Lakers leading the race to sign the free-agent forward.

Barnes was close to joining the Raptors earlier this week, but financial details couldn't be worked out because of the lack of sign-and-trade options between Orlando and Toronto.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports wrote the following on his Twitter page Thursday afternoon, "Unless Cleveland raises multi-year offer that starts around $3.5M, Matt Barnes will sign a 1-year, $1.7M deal with Lakers, sources tell Y!"

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports
    http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...ers_cavaliers/

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

May Raptor fans rejoice!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information