Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Matt Barnes The Best Perimeter Defender In Raptors History?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Matt Barnes The Best Perimeter Defender In Raptors History?

Help me out here since I've only been watching since about 2001. But I'm having trouble thinking of anyone we've had at the wing that would be a better defender than Barnes. The only player that comes to mind is Doug Christie but he was before my time.

A quick scan of the Raptors wikipedia page and these are the names he's up against:

Doug Christie
    Carlos Delfino
    Shawn Marion
    Jamario Moon
    Anthony Parker
    Morris Peterson
    Antoine Wright
    Tracy McGrady

My memory is fuzzy on how some of these guys played but there isn't really much competition here.
    Last edited by hilfgott; Mon Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

tracy !

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, I'll add him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hilfgott wrote: View Post
    Help me out here since I've only been watching since about 2001. But I'm having trouble thinking of anyone we've had at the wing that would be a better defender than Barnes. The only player that comes to mind is Doug Christie but he was before my time.

A quick scan of the Raptors wikipedia page and these are the names he's up against:

Doug Christie
    Carlos Delfino
    Shawn Marion
    Jamario Moon
    Anthony Parker
    Morris Peterson
    Antoine Wright
    Tracy McGrady

My memory is fuzzy on how some of these guys played but there isn't really much competition here.
    Morris Peterson ? can i say 81 on him and jalen rose

Post Thanks / Like

... People... Doug Christie by a long shot. Not too much competition?... Yeah, for Doug.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doug Christie

2000-01
    All Defense 2nd Team
    2001-02
    All Defense 2nd Team
    2002-03
    All Defense 1st Team
    2003-04
    All Defense 2nd Team

NBA.com

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Doug Smith saying were paying Barnes $9 million a season, I can only hope he miswrote.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rev20002 wrote: View Post
    Why is Doug Smith saying were paying Barnes $9 million a season, I can only hope he miswrote.
    Its about $10 million for two years with the second year I believe being either a player or team option
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let me answer your thread???

Yes...yess..double yes...plz there was no better,why don't u go ask kobe...
    Kobe has top 5 guys he hates playing against...

1. Raja Bell
    2. Matt Barnes
    3. Ron Artest
    4. Shane Battier
    5. Bruce Bowen

Ohh yeah..I know some ppl don't like the signing...but I like it,this signing is for DEMAR DEROZAN...period..he let's the kid just concentrate on offense and let's barnes guard best players....
    Last edited by Dr Hannibal Lecter; Mon Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

How many all defense teams has Barnes made? Maybe Doug isn't on the list because Doug isn't in the league?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    2000-01
    All Defense 2nd Team
    2001-02
    All Defense 2nd Team
    2002-03
    All Defense 1st Team
    2003-04
    All Defense 2nd Team

NBA.com
    So Matt Barnes is the best we've had since Christie. Who left in 2000, before he made any of those teams.

Can we agree on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Yes...yess..double yes...plz there was no better,why don't u go ask kobe...
    Kobe has top 5 guys he hates playing against...

1. Raja Bell
    2. Matt Barnes
    3. Ron Artest
    4. Shane Battier
    5. Bruce Bowen

Ohh yeah..I know some ppl don't like the signing...but I like it,this signing is for DEMAR DEROZAN...period..he let's the kid just concentrate on offense and let's barnes guard best players....
    I forget where i read this but Kobe apparently was urging the Lakers to sign him right after Raja went to the Jazz. So yeah you are right Kobe really hates playing against him which just makes this a better signing to me. I hope Barnes gets in some of the Heat players heads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hilfgott wrote: View Post
    So Matt Barnes is the best we've had since Christie. Who left in 2000, before he made any of those teams.

Can we agree on that?
    I listed what he accomplish was used to illustrate his abilities. He was still good enough to make those teams while on the Raptors. I'm just trying to provide a reality check. Barnes is tough and solid defender but he's not making any all-defense teams any time soon. I can agree to this.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Boooo! Drink the kool aid!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that time when Reggie Evans was just about to finish rehabbing and get back to the games? Yeah. People were like, Reggie's gonna grab every rebound and scare all opposing bigs away because that's just what he does! We all know what happened after that...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and put Barnes on a pedestal for his godly defense without him even putting on the uniform yet. You gotta wonder, if he's THAT good, then why hasn't anybody else grabbed the guy for 10 mil yet?

Here's to hoping he would perform at least better than Antoine did last season, esp. on offense.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It is ridiculous to even consider handing over the title of "Best perimeter defender in Raptors history" over to a player who is yet to actually play a game for the team.

Many sports writers, annalists, pundits and Raptors fans alike are too keen on prematurely crowing, comparing and classifying athletes.

Note, I am not taking anything away from Matt Barnes. I think he is a solid defender and a good "glue" guy with a great motor. Yet, defending is all about want to, communication and help. The tenacious defensive effort Barnes put forth while in Orlando may have been a result of the teams success as a legitimate championship contender. Perhaps the luxury of Dwight Howard's shot blocking aloud Barnes the freedom to roam around and cut off passing lanes?

Bottom line is that Raptors fans have been scorned too many times to continue to expect equal or greater production from free agents who come to the team following successful free agent campaigns - Hedo Turkoglu should serve as a bitter reminder.

Get High Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

it's ashame he won't be a raptor anytime soon.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't someone anoint Hedo as the "best" free agent signing ever...or the "best" point forward...or the "best" shot creator...or the "best" all-around forward....did I miss any? I forget which one I chose!

I am through providing kudos before the player has even put on a Raptor top nevermind see if he ends up a good fit on a team with so many new faces again. Not that I am particularly against the signing but Matt Barnes has not played exceptional when on mediocre teams. Maybe thats why he has been on 6 teams in 6-7 yrs.

Edit: Apologies "Get high Monkey", just saw your note
    Last edited by Bendit; Tue Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Dumb thread... dont believe everything you read on twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries "Bendit" - as far as I'm concerned you can never have too many people echoeing the "wait and see" testimate.

That point you make about Barnes playing on "6 teams in 6-7 years" is notable. I always find it interesting that teams aquire "journey-man players" with the idealistic view that a new team/coach/city will be the catalyst for success. I compare this philosophy to that of romantic relationships - when a man thinks he can "wife down" a promiscuous woman or vice-a-versa.

Hopefully the Raptors relationship with Matt Barnes doesn't end with the contents of his locker being thrown out a window, on-to the street, by Brian Colangelo!

Thread Information