Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo Speaks (Prior To What Is Now Known Only As "Barnesgate")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Speaks (Prior To What Is Now Known Only As "Barnesgate")

"It's been great to see the enthusiasm, athleticism and the speed with which they're playing," said Toronto Raptors General Manager and President of Baksetball Operations Brian Colangelo. "They're creating a little bit of a buzz in respect to their level of play. DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems are our leading scores but you see great effort out of some of new young kids. Ed Davis has done well considering he hasn't played that much in the past five months. He has to get bigger and stronger and get back in the weight room after that wrist injury. I'll tell you though he's got a great knack for rebounding on the defensive end and also challenging shots and coming from the weak side and blocking shots. We haven't had that. That rim protection is something that we talk all the time about as one of our biggest weaknesses. Dribble penetration results in too many layups and it's one of those things that we're challenging so many shots here between Dorsey, Davis, and Alabi. They're going up and challenging everything and it's great to see.

These young players are also coming together with their overall work ethic and what they're putting in to get better. It's good to see that kind of progression with them, especially with Demar. What he got last year in terms of experience was invaluable. Now he's in the position where he's applying that progress on the court and he's getting that much better. I've already had a few people say you've got to pleased with his progress and that it looks like you have a future all-star on his hands. That's where we projected him out, we were hoping he'd become that kind of a player and it's starting to take shape."
    "We have to find someone to replace the scoring that Chris' departure leaves. We've got Andrea Bargnani who is currently at 17-18 point per game pace. You have to figure he's going to score somewhere at or near 20 points a game. DeMar can pick up some of that scoring. LeAndro Barbosa is going to be a scorer at the two/one and point guards are going to have to put points on the boards. It's exciting to see a different type of game. There's going to be a lot of
    speed, quickness and athleticism and we're going to get the ball up and down the floor for sure."
    Barbosa, who is a ideal fit for their system. As of right now though they're not exactly sure how they are going to use him.

"The thing it really depends on is what else shakes out in respect to our roster moves," explained Colangelo. "As you see him now he'll play some two and some one but the way we're designed right now we're going to be playing a lot of smaller, unorthodox style and you're going to have to have some three guard rotations. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out there with another point guard and another two guard because the way we're going to play right now based on our current personnel there's going to be some great opportunities for that three guard rotations."
    "When you're 30th in the league in a certain category you want to get better," noted Colangelo. "We were very fortunate to see Davis fall to us at 13. We had a feeling he was going to be gone, turns out he was there on the board at 13. We said all along we would take the best player regardless of position but it just so happened that a few days after Chris made it official. He's now gone and we had a void there to begin with. We were able to retain Amir Johnson, he's a guy that protects the basket very well and plays off of Bargnani very well. Our defensive metrics get better when he's on the floor. Now you bring Ed Davis in from the draft and its one more complementary piece to what we're trying to do to get better in that area. We still seek out mental and physical toughness. There's going to be some interesting things out there, a little unorthodox but we've got this wave of talent coming in that's nice to have."

don't be surprised if the Raptors make a few more moves to upgrade their roster.

"You never know," acknowledged Colangelo. "You're always trying to get better and we're talking about a lot of things with al lot of people. Still exploring free agents options that entail sign and trades where. What we have is an exception created for 2.7 million that was created through the Turkoglu trade and a 14.5 million exception in the Bosh trade. Those can be used as tools to acquire other players. It could be a sign-and-trade with another team that's willing to accommodate something or players under contract. To acquire those players you just have to find the right pieces. We're looking and we'll see."
    Source: HoopsWorld

Small ball - You can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.'

It has never worked since the days of Wilt and never will.

Garbage trick basketball.

Fun for the fans

Terrible for the Win and Losses.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Small ball - You can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.'
      I agree 100%. This team is all about Marketing and getting some fans excited. This is not about winning or building.

Any Update on Barn's deal ?

Comment

Winning would get me excited.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          exactly and its just starting out as small ball were rebuilding and were going in an interesting direction.

i see us turning the way of atlanta as of now and we could be building to what milwaukee is doing right now.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Don't be so sure.

Then again maybe if the only NBA team you have ever rooted for is the Raptors I can see where winning would get you excited.

However, I can't begin to tell you how many Pistons fans were so bored with the Billups version even in 04-05.

This was the freakin most successful boring basketball team to ever win consistently in the NBA. They were so boring that watching weeds grow was exciting by comparison.

Then along came the short lived Zoo Crew. Now they were exciting but the core of that group was not, 4sure.

PIstons fans used to sit in front of their TV watching the Pistons, fall asleep and dream about the Superbowl

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Don't be so sure.
              I watch more sports than just basketball. I am not a winning team watching virgin. I am completely sure that watching the Raptors win would be exciting. I think attendance number support this as well seeing how more people have always shown up during winning campaigns.

Comment

I watch more sports than just basketball. I am not a winning team watching virgin. I am completely sure that watching the Raptors win would be exciting. I think attendance number support this as well seeing how more people have always shown up during winning campaigns.
                Pistons filled the Palace for years game after game after game. They had a great PA announcer and other fancy entertainment. It may have been entertaining at the Palace but on TV is was boring, boring boring even when the Pistons methodically and boringly carved up their opponents.

Teams can win and be boring and lose and be exciting unless of course the viewer is only a front runner.

Comment

Watching a winning team may not be boring at first but when the same methodical walk the ball up the court players return year after year every game is like a replay of the game before. After a couple of years of these nightly replays it gets boring, trust me. #pause

Comment

I'm telling you, I watch more the basketball. I like watching my team win. I get a lot more pleasure out of it than seeing them play shit defense and losing games. I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with it.

Comment

Watching a winning team may not be boring at first but when the same methodical walk the ball up the court players return year after year every game is like a replay of the game before. After a couple of years of these nightly replays it gets boring, trust me. #pause
                      i loved watching those piston teams play... especially in the finals against the spurs. many people find it boring, but to be honest, it was great, technical, fundamentally sound basketball. I wouldn't jump out of my chair in disbelief (as i would with flashy, athletic play), but I was thoroughly entertained by the execution of those textbook basketball teams. It was a beautiful thing to watch... basketball in its most cerebral form.

Comment

What's wrong with small ball?

I don't think there is anything wrong with small ball. As someone pointed out here in an article not too long ago, the road to building a winning franchise is never the same.

Before the Celtics did it, I don't think there was another example of a team just grabbing a couple all-stars and winning it all.

Before showtime, there was no faith in run and gun. Hell, even after... and the Suns have shown that it can definitely work.

As for small ball, I think the Rockets showed last year that small ball is DEFINITELY a possibility.

Sorry for so many short paragraphs, lol. It's late, and I'm tired...

Ultimately, I think it's more about teamwork and execution than it is about finding some secret formula... Not every team can stack talented, versatile 7 footers like the Lakers.

And as for winning being exciting, all I have to point out are the Spurs. I don't care how many championships they won, they were still boring as hell. And not at all fun to watch.

Plus, the Rockets were small at the one, four and five spots... which is crazy. From Colangelo's description, it only looks like he sometimes plans to play a 2ish guard at 3 sometimes. So perhaps a back court of Barbosa, Weems, and Derozan. Which I wouldn't have a problem with if we had, for example, Bargs and Amir or Davis in.

Comment

I agree with Raptor Cowboy, there is no strategic reason small ball can't work. If you're players and guard their men, rebound, and score, they will win.

I don't think the Raptors will play small ball in the way most people think of it in that the only position they will actually be small at is the two. If our "small ball" line-up consists of

Jose
                          Barbosa
                          Derozen
                          Kleiza/Johnson
                          Bargs

It's not really small anywhere but at the two. Our starting line up like

Jose
                          DeRozen
                          Kleiza
                          Amir
                          Bargs

Which is certainly not a small line up and I would go further and say we would have a size advantage over most teams at the two and three. So I think this "small ball" idea is a little misleading. We won't be playing like Golden State or be at as much as a disadvantage as the Rockets were last year we will just occasionally have a size disadvantage at one or two positions.

On another note, I think DeRozen is going to have a very good season. He had the coaches and the GM both praising him and I think it will translate to them running some plays for him in the half court.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Raptors Vs. The Best

Let's look at mass. When I think size, I think mass because this is a physical game. Especially the closer you get to the hoop.

Raptors
                            Jose Calderon, 210LBS. Leandro Barbosa, 202LBS, DeMar DeRozan 220LBS, Amir Johnson 210LBS, Andrea Bargnani 250LBS

Lakers
                            Derek Fisher 210LBS, Kobe Bryant 205LBS, Ron Artest 260LBS, Pau Gasol 250LBS, Andrew Bynum 285LBS

Celtics
                            Rajon Rondo 186LBS, Ray Allen 205LBS, Paul Pierce 235LBS, Kevin Garnett 253LBS, Jermaine O'Neal 255LBS

What tells me is that, mass-wise, the Raptors are lacking at the forward spots with the above proposed lineup.

Comment

I thought Amir Johnson had put on weight over the summer? Isn't he up to 225 or something now? Also, the Lakers are among the biggest teams in the league so I'm not sure they are a great metric. Most references I found give numbers between 230 and 260 (http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/pow...d-basketball-/ for example) and if Amir is at 225 than that's not bad. Factor in Ed Davis, who was 215 during his last season and has a lot of potential to put on muscle and I don't think we are all that small at power forward. Certainly it is not a "small ball" line up.

What I do find interesting however is that Bargs' weight seems to fall more into the pf class than the center. Another argument for moving him over.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X