Alvin Williams As Interim Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvin Williams As Interim Coach?

OK, before anyone gets all up in arms and thinks this is another "lets fire Jay" thread, I'm not suggesting that at all. Its more about "what if?" instead.

My old buddy LX from RaptorsForum brought up a good point in his most recent blog suggesting that Williams might be a suitable interim coach if the team decided to part ways with Jay. Apparently his speech with the players last week got through to them so perhaps he could be considered a suitable replacement. Or, would the lack of coaching experience be something that he would struggle with at the professional level?

Thoughts?

The problem was with Triano’s sense of reality and how he tried to communicate problems away instead of attacking them head on. It took a passionate speech from Alvin Williams, apparently, to allow reality to have a bearing again. And if they lose more than three again, I wouldn’t argue against him being made the interim head coach. I think Triano might be okay from here on in though, and if he can capitalize on the accelerated learning curve of Derozan, and the balanced approach to his rotations, by demanding that mere reality be constantly imposed upon the team’s sensibilities, then they’ll make some jump in the standings in a hurry. Golly, I still want to believe.
    Source - Click here

I hate the idea. I have a lot of respect and admiration for what Alvin Williams did for the Raptors during his playing career, essentially shortening his career by playing through injuries but a line in the sand needs to be drawn. The guy is in his first coaching role and only two months into the season. I would not feel comfortable with him being Triano's right hand man let alone taking over. To me it makes no sense. Let's think back to Sam Mitchell's early days. Sam struggled immensely at times and he was a guy who spent two years on the bench in an assistant's role and was pretty much in a player/coach/mentor role in his final years in the league as a player. Alvin Williams doesn't even have that. Hell, why doesn't Colangelo just sit on the pine if we're going to start taking our thoughts to outrageous realms of thought? If the Raptors want to keep Bosh or maintain any level of respect around the league then they should not fire and downgrade early in an NBA season for the second straight season. It won't look good in the papers and as the season progresses it won't look good in the standings. If LX is looking for something that he is describing in Alvin then maybe he should go back to the drawing board and consider Avery Johnson for his next blog entry. At least he has a track record and some experience... Not that he would be my first choice or anything.

Comment

Agreed with Apollo. I'm the biggest Williams supporter there is, but no way does he have the ability to coach a team. Hell, he barely has the credentials to do what he is doing now (which isn't much more than note taking and running drills). Alvin needs at least 5-6 years in the trenches.

Comment

AltRaps wrote: View Post
        Agreed with Apollo. I'm the biggest Williams supporter there is, but no way does he have the ability to coach a team. Hell, he barely has the credentials to do what he is doing now (which isn't much more than note taking and running drills). Alvin needs at least 5-6 years in the trenches.
        Exactly. With Alvin, right now, school is in session. You wouldn't expect a pre-med University student to perform surgery on you. It would be crazy. The same line of thought can be used in this case. I also think he needs 5 years. I think Sam Mitchell could have used another 2-3 years before becoming a head coach.

Comment

Alvin could make a great head coach with a young team expecting to lose 50 games + where he could grow along with the players.

I don't believe anyone has the Raptors pegged in that spot.

He might be a Raptors future head coach?
          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Love the guy, but no. We need to break the string of hiring rookie head coaches, the main reason I was against the Triano hire. You need somebody the players know, respect and fear, not somebody who has to build all that.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
              Love the guy, but no. We need to break the string of hiring rookie head coaches, the main reason I was against the Triano hire. You need somebody the players know, respect and fear, not somebody who has to build all that.

Well, word is Alvin was the guy who did the most talking and at the loudest, most direct level during the meeting.

Not saying this changes my opinion at all, but nice to see he can light a fire.

Comment

I'm thinking he can do what he did in the dressing room without taking over as head coach and all the other demands that go along with it. Do we know if he can good design plays, call good time outs, bench players at appropriate times, recognize weaknesses on both sides of the court on the fly, etc.?

Comment

To me its like, if Alvin is so good at 'bringing the team together', then why did all these problems happen in the first place? I mean, a team that is not trying hard because the North Americans don't talk to the Italians? That's crazy. Where was Alvin before?

Comment

That's a good point. Good teams tend to not have locker room problems and I think its because the coaching staff and leaders impose their will on the rest... Well, that and winning is the best mood correction therapy. I have to agree with you dagon420, you just made one of the best comments in the thread! Maybe Alvin should have spoke up before then? I mean this problem didn't happen over night.

Comment

Working...
                    X