What The Raptors Need In 10-11 Is To Develop A "Badass Swagger"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The Raptors Need In 10-11 Is To Develop A "Badass Swagger"

Now before anyone reading the title of the thread goes off the deep end let me bring the definition of this.

1. swagger

How one presents him or her self to the world. Swagger is shown from how the person handles a situation. It can also be shown in the person's walk.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swagger

1. Badass

The epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether it's ordering a drink, buying a set of wheels, or dealing with women. He's slow to anger, brutally efficient when fighting back. The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses, uninfluenced by fads or advertising campaigns. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable. Like a chopped Harley or a good pair of sunglasses: simple, direct, and functional.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=badass

In other words the Raptors as a team need to cop a unique recognizable attitude and personality that radiates confidence and that is brutally efficient and functionally effective on the court. The "We will play our game our way and not your game. We are the King of the Hill" attitude and knock us off if you can mantra.

They must radiate this confidence and attitude in their eyes and body language when they are on the court and even on the bench no matter who they are playing.

They must establish a defined supremacy in the ACC. This is "our house" and we dictate the terms here. No one comes in here and walks away a victor.

Yes sir the Raptors need to develop a Badass Swagger in 10-11
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jul 22, 2010, 12:34 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

It will be nice, but there is a long way to walk since today's attitude to that 'badass swagger' one, and I think that kind of attitude came by itself when you win, and is hard to have when you're a loser...

Comment

The only person who I think has that bad-ass deep down in him is Ed Davis. Maybe Amir Johnson, but that's about it. Everybody else I can see backing down after being knocked down in a flagrant foul. On that note, still not over nobody by Mitchell going up to Al Horford after the TJ Ford incident.

Comment

Or Pierce standing over Bosh after the knee to the groin dunk.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          The only person who I think has that bad-ass deep down in him is Ed Davis. Maybe Amir Johnson, but that's about it. Everybody else I can see backing down after being knocked down in a flagrant foul. On that note, still not over nobody by Mitchell going up to Al Horford after the TJ Ford incident.
          I LOVED that

I think that is something Jack should develop if he trully believes he can be the leader of this team on the court...

Comment

Maybe the Raptors should name them co-captains?

It isn't always the best player, eg. Derek Fisher, that is named the captain. Those that follow the Lakers know that Fisher is as tough as they come and may even be tougher than Kobe believe it or not. If the two of them fought my money would go on Fisher every time. I don't know that I would win but I would put my money there.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
              Or Pierce standing over Bosh after the knee to the groin dunk.
              Or Granger shoving Bosh with both hands in a blowout in Indiana and nobody saying a damn word.

I think the last Raptors player to actually make a "stand" was TJ Ford.

Comment

If KG claps in Jose's face and only Ed hears it, does Ed's fist make a sound?

Comment

"Badass-ery" is something that this team will never develop. The Raptors are too family-oriented. The first guy that starts being a badass will be shipped out asap, because he won't be a good role model for the weak, little innocent children attending games. It's all about having the politically-correct nice guys that are great for the media and kids.

Comment

Just a short story about Johnson

I believe it was two seasons ago in Phoenix when the Pistons were facing the Suns and Shaq. Johnson got the ball at the right elbow with Shaq standing in front of the basket. Johnson drove in right toward Shaq and attempted to posterize Shaq. Shaq knocked him on his ass and got a technical for his trouble. Johnson got up and converted either one or two of his free throw. But that is not the end of the story.

Johnson has publicly declared that one of his goals this season is to posterize Shaq. Now that is what I call a Badass Swagger whether he succeeds or not. It is not backing down and believing in yourself and your ability despite overwhelming odds.

It would be amazing if Johnson could actually do this at the ACC in 10-11. Bring the house down for sure.

This is an example of what I am talking about. Can he do it if he gets the chance? I wouldn't bet against it.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jul 22, 2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

I believe it was two seasons ago in Phoenix when the Pistons were facing the Suns and Shaq. Johnson got the ball at the right elbow with Shaq standing in front of the basket. Johnson drove in right toward Shaq and attempted to posterize Shaq. Shaq knocked him on his ass and got a technical for his trouble. Johnson got up and converted either one or two of his free throw. But that is not the end of the story.

Johnson has publicly declared that one of his goals this season is to posterize Shaq. Now that is what I call a Badass Swagger whether he succeeds or not. It is not backing down and believing in yourself and your ability despite overwhelming odds.

It would be amazing if Johnson could actually do this at the ACC in 10-11. Bring the house down for sure.

This is an example of what I am talking about. Can he do it if he gets the chance? I wouldn't bet against it.
                      I'll be nice, but first let's see if Shaq finds a team

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

I'm sorry, but is that supposed to be impressive? Andrew Bynum actually dunked on Shaq and then shoved him on the way back, does that make him something special? I think either born with "bad-ass" or you don't have it. This is not a knock on Johnson, but to say that your example proves anything is a little on the side of ridiculous.

Comment

When you say "badass" it sounds like you mean a tough guy sort of thing. The only guy I can think of on this team who occasionally trash talked with opposing players is Bargs, believe it or not. I know he has a rep of being soft but I remember two or three instances of him getting into the face of an opposing player.

examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdGQn3k7Aw (Vince)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu06L...eature=related

He may not be Ben Wallace but he does stand up for himself.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

That looks like 1 instance from last season and 1 instance from the season before... not the most inspiring case of bad-ass-ery
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm sorry, but is that supposed to be impressive? Andrew Bynum actually dunked on Shaq and then shoved him on the way back, does that make him something special? I think either born with "bad-ass" or you don't have it. This is not a knock on Johnson, but to say that your example proves anything is a little on the side of ridiculous.
                              It was given as an example of the attitude that I believe all "winners" in life have to have. Don't let defeat stop you from trying again no matter how painful, physically or emotionally or embarrassing the original defeat was.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion and to even call my example ridiculous, however with all due respect I disagree

Many fans try and take suburban basketball attitudes and apply them to the NBA. It does not work any more than European attitudes apply to the NBA.

The NBA is an "inner city" game dominated by men who have grown up and in many cases still live in the inner cities of America. Places where ever day and night you put your life on the line just by living there.

The game of basketball that they learned growing up is still played on the NBA courts ever night. Most of the time most fans don't see it, but it is there and that swagger and inner city playground mentality flows through NBA games like Niagara flows over the falls, with just as much intensity and fury.

Suburban mentality does not win NBA basketball games, it creates a perpetual lottery team. That is the reality.

It is like in the movie Casablanca when Rick first met the German commander and his aid. The aid says something like "What about N.Y. what will you think when we invade and take over N.Y. City" So Rick replies. "There are certain parts of N.Y. city that I would recommend that you don't attempt to invade"

That is the "Badass Swagger" mentality that permeates the NBA on the courts and it is that attitude that wins games and championships. That is a fact.

On the playground in the inner cities of America when you try and posterize the King of the Hill and he punks you down good that is showing that he is still King of the Hill and you ain't nothing. So what does a man do? He goes at the King of Hill again and again no matter how painful or embarrassing the defeats may be until he finally beats him. It is this don't quit attitude that wins basketball games and not the PC one.
                              Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jul 22, 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X