What The Raptors Need In 10-11 Is To Develop A "Badass Swagger"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hateslosing wrote: View Post
    When you say "badass" it sounds like you mean a tough guy sort of thing. The only guy I can think of on this team who occasionally trash talked with opposing players is Bargs, believe it or not. I know he has a rep of being soft but I remember two or three instances of him getting into the face of an opposing player.

examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdGQn3k7Aw (Vince)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu06L...eature=related

He may not be Ben Wallace but he does stand up for himself.
    You can define it how you like. I defined how I interpret it on the original post of this thread and it has nothing to do with trash talking. It may not even mean getting in the face of your opponent unless he plays dirty by you.

To me its an attitude that I am the best and I will beat your ass and prove it. No words are needs. It transpires in hard play 48 minutes a game. Not giving your opponents easy uncontested layups. Setting hard and clean screens. Being the aggressor team on the court. Not hanging you head when your opponent goes on that inevitable run. Running down all lose balls, diving on the floor when needed, running back on defense and running the court on offense.

It is hard nosed aggressive play, taking the game to your opponents your way and daring them to stop you and beat you.

No trash talking or getting in your opponents face needed unless they play dirty by you.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
      The only person who I think has that bad-ass deep down in him is Ed Davis. Maybe Amir Johnson, but that's about it. Everybody else I can see backing down after being knocked down in a flagrant foul. On that note, still not over nobody by Mitchell going up to Al Horford after the TJ Ford incident.
      I'm not sure I'd agree with Ed Davis.. I'll consider it though. What about my boy Demar Derozan, fresh outta Compton.. He might not be the biggest dude, but I don't see him backing down. Amir definitely has what it takes to hold his own. Not even a thought about Sonny? He definitely has the swag, and I can see him being a badass dude.. Then there's Reggie.

We definitely do have some of this already.. I think Jack being out in Vegas for the summer league is the first step, he's there for his team, with all these young guys we're working with.. We really have to stick together as a team, we're not going to be pushed around, so just be ready for what happens.. We're not going to go quietly this year.

Comment

They don't need to develop a badass swagger. That's for teams that can back it up. What you really want from this team, especially since they're young, is to play extremely hard, scrap nail and tooth all the way to the last second. That will earn them a lot of respect.

Comment

Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure I'd agree with Ed Davis.. I'll consider it though. What about my boy Demar Derozan, fresh outta Compton.. He might not be the biggest dude, but I don't see him backing down. Amir definitely has what it takes to hold his own. Not even a thought about Sonny? He definitely has the swag, and I can see him being a badass dude.. Then there's Reggie.

We definitely do have some of this already.. I think Jack being out in Vegas for the summer league is the first step, he's there for his team, with all these young guys we're working with.. We really have to stick together as a team, we're not going to be pushed around, so just be ready for what happens.. We're not going to go quietly this year.

Don't know..but as MangoKid said, I'd rather they play hard and fight till the end in every game. Though part of me thinks that that goes hand-in-hand with swagger.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            They don't need to develop a badass swagger. That's for teams that can back it up. What you really want from this team, especially since they're young, is to play extremely hard, scrap nail and tooth all the way to the last second. That will earn them a lot of respect.
            I don't think you know what "Badass Swagger" means. Of course you are alwyas entitled to refudiate the definition as given in the Urban dictionary that I presented in the original post on this thread and come up with your own. Having said that I hold by what I said based upon the definition of the terms as presented in the Urban Dictionary.

Summarized another way to have Badass Swagger on the court means to play hard, be the aggressor in a clean and efficient way, your way on the court, never give up and never let your opponents see fear in your eyes or body language. To believe that you can win every game and play like it for a full 48 minutes no matter what the score.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jul 22, 2010, 05:11 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Just had to say this... but "refudiate" is not a word. Sorry, Palin.

Anyway, the Celtics have had that swagger since Garnett came to town. They're more in-your-face about it, but yeah. Is that what you're looking for?

Comment

What about my boy Demar Derozan, fresh outta Compton.. He might not be the biggest dude, but I don't see him backing down. Amir definitely has what it takes to hold his own. Not even a thought about Sonny? He definitely has the swag, and I can see him being a badass dude..
                Are you kidding me? The Young Gunz seems like a name that a group of loners in the lunchroom anoint themselves with. Derozan showed zero "badass swagger" last year - in fact he often looked like a whipped puppy as soon as someone got "tough" with him. Sonny may talk a mean game, but am still waiting to see it on the court. Too many punks can talk a good game and then run and hide as soon as someone confronts them. I hope I am wrong, but I think looking to Demar and Sonny for that "badass" edge would prove fruitless.

Comment

I have a similar opinion about Davis. Give him at least a year to get his feet wet and get some gravitas on the team. Its just his demeanor on the court and in interviews. I dont believe DD and Sonny have "it". Stories about Weems hooping it up after the last Bulls game and last game of the season soured me on him on any tough ass attitude. Someone should have said something to him but seems no one did. DD may change his passivity from rookie season and is young. In anycase these guys have to bring it in their play on defense (dunking on someone doesnt do it for me...stuffing an opponent does) and just not let other teams intimidate them.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    When you say "badass" it sounds like you mean a tough guy sort of thing. The only guy I can think of on this team who occasionally trash talked with opposing players is Bargs, believe it or not. I know he has a rep of being soft but I remember two or three instances of him getting into the face of an opposing player.

examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhdGQn3k7Aw (Vince)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu06L...eature=related

He may not be Ben Wallace but he does stand up for himself.

The reaction of Ilgauskas in this vid is what I want to see in the raps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAtj7FKU_o

Comment

Badass coach!

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        Or Granger shoving Bosh with both hands in a blowout in Indiana and nobody saying a damn word.

I think the last Raptors player to actually make a "stand" was TJ Ford.
                        +1.

I'm sure I'm the only Republic member who loved Ford's game. He was the last Raptor who had any swagger and could back it up. Who cares if his shot selection was suspect sometimes; that's an acceptable trade off to me because I think that kid was a competitor, and a winner. Both his open court play and aggressive half court play created problems for opposing teams. I love Jose, but too bad his one season flirtation with greatness sent Ford packing. Damn!!!!!!
                        "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                        ~Rorschach

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          I don't think you know what "Badass Swagger" means. Of course you are alwyas entitled to refudiate the definition as given in the Urban dictionary that I presented in the original post on this thread and come up with your own. Having said that I hold by what I said based upon the definition of the terms as presented in the Urban Dictionary.

Summarized another way to have Badass Swagger on the court means to play hard, be the aggressor in a clean and efficient way, your way on the court, never give up and never let your opponents see fear in your eyes or body language. To believe that you can win every game and play like it for a full 48 minutes no matter what the score.
                          Well, I know what swagger means. To me it means to play with an aire of confidence, to be in your opponents' faces, tongue wagging, trash talking and such.
                          And badass, well, everyone knows what that is.
                          You put the two together and you get badass swagger.

I do agree with you though when you say that you wish this year's edition of the Raptors goes out there and leaves it all out on the court. I know fans will be estatic with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X