Colangelo Ranked 27th Best NBA GM By SBNation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Ranked 27th Best NBA GM By SBNation

His supposed "wizardry" has been discussed plenty on this site. His incompetence probably even more. SBnation bashes BC, and quite frankly, I think its hard to oppose their opinion.

27. Bryan Colangelo
    Hired: 2006.

Coaches: Sam Mitchell (2006-2008), Jay Triano (2008-present)

Long-term plan: Stay competitive, even if it means throwing cap flexibility into the wind.

Draft picks: Andrea Bargnani (1st, 2006), DeMar DeRozan (9th, 2009), Ed Davis (13th, 2010),

Trades:

2006: Traded Charlie Villanueva to the Bucks for T.J. Ford, who was promptly given a four-year, $32 million extension.
    2008: Traded Ford, the rights to the 17th pick and Rasho Nesterovic's expiring contract to the Pacers for Jermaine O'Neal (max contract until 2010)
    2010: Traded Hedo Turkoglo to the Suns for Leandro Barbosa and Dwyane Jones.
    Free agent signings: Chris Bosh in 2006 (three-year max contract), Jorge Garbajosa in 2006, Anthony Parker in 2006, Jason Kapono in 2007 (four years, $24 million), Jose Calderon in 2008 (five years, $45 million), Andrea Bargnani in 2009 (five years, $50 million), Turkoglu in 2009 (five years, $53 million), Jarrett Jack in 2009 (four years, $20 million), Amir Johnson in 2010 (six years and $33 million), Linas Kleiza in 2010 (four years, $20 million)

Free agents let go: Mike James (2006), Marion (2009) Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon (both 2009).

Many LeBron James defenders say he should have left Cleveland because his general manager, Danny Ferry, failed at surrounding him with a good supporting cast. However, the truth is that argument should hold far more water with Chris Bosh than with LeBron. Bosh is not as good as LeBron, but he's had far less help from Bryan Colangelo, who squandered many of Bosh's best years with impulsive decisions.

Colangelo had a good reputation in Phoenix, but his tenure in Toronto has been abysmal. He's has thrown money around irresponsibly, despite being given several chances at the kind of cap flexibility necessary to build a good long-term foundation. Colangelo has had cap space in 2006 and 2009 and came away with T.J. Ford and Hedo Turkoglu. He traded many key assets for an overpaid and broken-down Jermaine O'Neal, then somehow made things worse by signing Turkoglu with the money he saved by eliminating his own mistake. He's given out long-term mid-level contracts to marginal players like Jarrett Jack, Jason Kapono and Amir Johnson. He's overpaid his own flawed players, giving Ford a big contract despite his injury issues, Calderon a bigger contract despite his defensive problems and Bargnani an even bigger contract despite not showing he was worth it consistently. In other words, he's the worst stereotype of the impatient GM, unwilling or unable to contain himself when he has some money in his pocket.

But none of those issues are as damaging as his handling of Bargnani in general. While the 2006 draft wasn't exactly full of superstars, Bargnani wasn't even on anyone's radar with the No. 1 pick until Colangelo began talking him up. Bargnani ultimately was a poor fit next to Bosh and played inconsistently, but that didn't stop Colangelo from constantly defending him, firing a head coach (Sam Mitchell) who didn't like him and giving him a big contract extension in 2009.

The difference between Ferry and Colangelo is Ferry learned from his initial mistakes and made shrewd moves to try mitigate them, whereas Colangelo just keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. That's why Colangelo is way down on this list.
    Source: http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/22/15...pat-riley-heat

That ranking is rubbish. He's got Nets, Kings, Knicks, and Wizards in top 20. Ask me if you would rather be a Raps fan or a Kings fan. All due respect to their young talent, but wtf have they done in the last few years (queue the "western conference is tougher" arguments)..

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      That ranking is rubbish. He's got Nets, Kings, Knicks, and Wizards in top 20. Ask me if you would rather be a Raps fan or a Kings fan. All due respect to their young talent, but wtf have they done in the last few years (queue the "western conference is tougher" arguments)..
      The ranking may be rubbish, but the analysis is actually pretty spot on, in my opinion.
      Colangelo talks a lot of talk, and I think his way of forming teams is unique to all other GMs, but has it worked bringing long term success? We're all familiar with his 'risks' and none have really panned out, resulting in this franchise being at one of its low points to date. I don't agree with a lot in this article to be honest, but it kind of gets you thinking about Colangelo's way of operating and if it suits a lackluster basketball market like TO.

And also, this is a ranking of GMs and their respective performances, not necessarily team success in the last 5 years.

Comment

The Mascot wrote: View Post
        The ranking may be rubbish, but the analysis is actually pretty spot on, in my opinion.
        Colangelo talks a lot of talk, and I think his way of forming teams is unique to all other GMs, but has it worked bringing long term success? We're all familiar with his 'risks' and none have really panned out, resulting in this franchise being at one of its low points to date. I don't agree with a lot in this article to be honest, but it kind of gets you thinking about Colangelo's way of operating and if it suits a lackluster basketball market like TO.

And also, this is a ranking of GMs and their respective performances, not necessarily team success in the last 5 years.
        I agree, the comments about Colangelo are pretty accurate.

In terms of your last statement though, I would think that the team's success and overall fiscal performance would be the benchmark for the GM's success, no? In which case, Colangelo hasn't succeeded in the former, but has succeeded in the latter.

As a Raps fan, despite the penchant for winding up a 500 ball club every year, I must say I have been happy to see JO, Marion, hell even Turk, in Raps jerseys over the years, despite the fact they didn't work out so well. Colangelo has at least been able to bring some mid-profile talent to Tdot, which has been refreshing. Looking forward to seeing Barbosa this year, hopefully he doesn't Turk-out.

Comment

2010-11 will prove the writer incorrect on a number of key things that he/she wrote in this article.

Right now it is fashionable among America's LSM pundits to bash the Raptors.

There is a reason that they are referred to as the LSM and 2010-11 will prove them wrong about the Raptors and expose them for the trolls that they are.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
            I agree, the comments about Colangelo are pretty accurate.

In terms of your last statement though, I would think that the team's success and overall fiscal performance would be the benchmark for the GM's success, no? In which case, Colangelo hasn't succeeded in the former, but has succeeded in the latter.

As a Raps fan, despite the penchant for winding up a 500 ball club every year, I must say I have been happy to see JO, Marion, hell even Turk, in Raps jerseys over the years, despite the fact they didn't work out so well. Colangelo has at least been able to bring some mid-profile talent to Tdot, which has been refreshing. Looking forward to seeing Barbosa this year, hopefully he doesn't Turk-out.
            Oh definitely team success reflects on GM success, no doubt about that. Hell, BC's shiny trophy on his office shelf proves that more than anything.

But what I'm saying, is by looking at the way he manages and formulates teams, there's a consistent trend that makes me irk. Bringing in those big guns that you mentioned in no way is a negative (at the time), but if you look at the bigger picture, the risks aren't really working. The trades are one form of 'risk', but, in my opinion, signings should not be. BC has gambled so much on free agents like TJ Ford (via extension), Kapono, and now Amir. As a somewhat reasonable raps fan, I can understand the how the risks work and the potential failures that may follow. But say that to the 80% of people that buy the tickets, the merchandise, and pay for Turks nice salary last season. Attendance will go down this year; whether that's blamed on the inevitable Bosh departure or the disappointment of last season, in the end, it all comes back to BC.

And yes, let's cross our fingers that the 'one man fast break' does something no other marginal "big name" player has been able to do in this city of ours for a long time- NOT SUCK.

Comment

Agree;

Yup...I agree...finally someone said it right,Bryan Colangelo is sooooo overated...ohh yeah David Kahn is better then Bryan Colangelo..lol.....what a joke!!!
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

The only real argument the article makes is that he's throw money around irresponsibly. I can't refute that. However, a lot of GMs throw money around irresponsibly.

But Colangelo is not a passive GM and is constantly looking to make things better. Rather than wait, hope, and see if Hedo would turn things around next season, he traded him. The fact that Colangelo doesn't wait out his mistakes is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in that, if a player is not working, then we don't have to worry about him for too long. It's a curse in that, if he'd just show a little patience, we would have greater flexibility.

For example, had we held on to JO until now we'd be very far under the cap and have a lot of flexibility in this free agent class. On the flip side, if we didn't trade JO when we did, we'd have had to endure another year of D-League talent on the roster (Hassan Adams, anyone?), and there would have been absolutely no way we could make a case for retaining Bosh.

Colangelo does a good job of managing our contracts, even if he overspends a little. Right now we're sitting on a roster were no one makes more than $9M this upcoming season. I'd say that's pretty damn flexible.

Also, the article neglects several moves that actually worked out:
                • Hoffa for Kris Humphries
                • Bonner and Eric Williams for Rasho Nesterovic
                • Signings of Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbojosa
                • 2 future 2nd rounders for Carlos Delfino
                • Jarret Jack signing
                • Delfino+Ukic for Amir+Weems trade

They may not be "splashy" moves, but they are solid moves that helped the Raptors improve at the time.

Comment

He drafted DeRozan and Davis.

They will eventually be superior players to those that were taken as many as several picks before them.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Maybe 27th is too low, but how can you not look at his tenure negatively. Forget about his failures, this is a man who has failed to learn from his successes. For example, he fired his former "coach of the year" mid season when said coach had his team on pace to make the playoffs, replacing him with a rookie. He basically gave up on a season where they could have made the playoffs.

Then with player personnel Garbo and to a lesser extent Marion were on-court successes so who does he replace them with? A hard-nosed player (like Garbo)? An athletic three (like Marion)? Of course not. Instead we get a finesse player named Hedo.

Heck I have a hard time believing he looks at other successful franchises. His teams here have had way too much player turnover, a hallmark of mediocre franchises.

Comment

The reason for the turnover in almost every case was because of bad chemistry.

TJ Ford was traded because he couldn't accept a secondary role to Jose Calderon.
                      Jermaine O'Neil was traded because he couldn't coexist with Chris Bosh, and reports were that Bosh and him weren't exactly on the same page.
                      Shawn Marion was sign and traded because he didn't want to stay.
                      Hedo Turkoglu was traded because of his horrid performance and the locker room divide throughout the season.

It's unfortunate there's so much player turnover, but when there were no problems in the locker room (BC's first season), then he pretty much kept the roster in tact. It doesn't look like there will be bad chemistry this upcoming season, but one can only hope.

Comment

I think BC is a pretty good GM tbh I am not one to just through around praise but i think he made choice based on the situation at the time. I always thought something was missing from sam coaching, thats me personally. jay is a canadian so him being head coach makes sense to me, he has his flaw and it appears to me like BC is filling those areas with a good coaching staff.

Andrea is a good first round pick we needed a center and he was the best one in that drafted class. we needed a guard so we got t.j. From what I seen t.j. couldn't play with the team so he got traded.

We needed a better center than barg's so we got J.O. but bosh and J.O. couldn't play well together. garbajosa was a good pick up injuries hurt him not BC. turk flopped but still not BC fault no one would have thought he would under performed the way he did.

I honestly think because of the tax situation we have no choice but to slightly overpay for our players, which I assume is the same situation in NY.

27th is harsh but the teams have under performed so he gets that ranking.

I mean you have the number 1 pick and bosh just finished getting destroyed by howard 20 and 20. What do you do? pick up aldridge who plays the same way as bosh plus the same position or Roy which doesn't address your needed atm. No one seen Roy coming, no one seen rondo coming, adam morrison, sheldon williams and tyrus thomas are flops rudy gay just got a max contract which he really doesn't deserve. Give the man a break!

Comment

The article is WACK!!!!!

To the ones that agree with the article and that diss BC, I ask you these questions:

What GM is out there, that you KNOW, that WANT to come here and take us to the championship as fast as you want?

When we were division champions in 2007, why weren't ya'll asking for BC's head, then?

Who knew, before BC, that the likes of J sl-Ow, Marion, Turdonyou were gonna be such divas as they were?

Who knew, before BC, that Chris Byatch was gonna leave the way he did, basically turning his back on the franchise, but most importantly the FANS, who stuck by his punkass and the franchise thru losing seasons?

Was it BC's fault that we were shitty, even BEFORE he got here?

Would you like to get Rob "Mr. Smithers" Babcock back to take us to the Finals?

Are we more shittier than NJ, NY, Wizards, etc.?

The man is TRYING to make this team better. He does moves as a competitor and not a millionaire hotshot. He ADMITS his "mistakes" and swiftly corrects them, to please the FANS. He thinks about us more than your beloved Chris Byatch. Who, as everyone knows, planned to jettison a long time ago. It kills me how every article that talks negative shit, no matter how ludicrous it sounds, our "fans" agree whole-heartedly. BC did what he could with what money and opportunity he had/has. Look at all the big players we had that underperformed and came here and played less than advertised. Who knew that was gonna happen? All these "hindsight GMs" that post negative shit on here, maybe ya'll should apply for GM, since ya'll got it down pat on what to do to get us a championship banner. The season hasn't even started and people are already dissin'. All I ever see, more than half the time on here, is people dissing the franchise at every turn, and us "fans" agreeing. Where's your fight, screams for respect and support for the franchise and players? This is a NEW beginning, stop letting the media dictate your thoughts, especially the ones that don't know shit about our city. We have a young team that WANTS to be here and HELP change the image we have and have had hanging over our heads..that this team will never make it, and how we should be sold, soon. C'mon, man. 27th?????? Maybe we can get Isaiah to come back and help us like he did with NY, right? Maaaan, Raps All Day!!!!! BC for 5 more years, in my books.
                          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            I think BC is a pretty good GM tbh I am not one to just through around praise but i think he made choice based on the situation at the time. I always thought something was missing from sam coaching, thats me personally. jay is a canadian so him being head coach makes sense to me, he has his flaw and it appears to me like BC is filling those areas with a good coaching staff.

Andrea is a good first round pick we needed a center and he was the best one in that drafted class. we needed a guard so we got t.j. From what I seen t.j. couldn't play with the team so he got traded.

We needed a better center than barg's so we got J.O. but bosh and J.O. couldn't play well together. garbajosa was a good pick up injuries hurt him not BC. turk flopped but still not BC fault no one would have thought he would under performed the way he did.

I honestly think because of the tax situation we have no choice but to slightly overpay for our players, which I assume is the same situation in NY.

27th is harsh but the teams have under performed so he gets that ranking.

I mean you have the number 1 pick and bosh just finished getting destroyed by howard 20 and 20. What do you do? pick up aldridge who plays the same way as bosh plus the same position or Roy which doesn't address your needed atm. No one seen Roy coming, no one seen rondo coming, adam morrison, sheldon williams and tyrus thomas are flops rudy gay just got a max contract which he really doesn't deserve. Give the man a break!

+1. Thank you.
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

After weighing in all the circumstances of teams success vs faliure and looking at all the other GM's positive actions/negative actions, I would put Colangelo in the top 10 GM's in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X