Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Colangelo Says Bosh "Checked Out" (Sun Article Posted On Pg.6/Post #43)

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    I disagree almost completely. Bargnani was picked because Lamarcus Aldridge played an identical style to Bosh. Bargnani could at least stretch out to the 3 point line. And please no Brandon Roy comment, no one thought he'd be the player he is right now.

As for Jose Calderon, he had great offensive synergy with Bosh.

I'm not sure what your love affinity for TJ Ford was, but you seem to have forgotten that he wasn't that great. Yes he was able to penetrate, but his mid-range game was barely average and he wasn't a threat from beyond the arc. Not to mention Mitchell's love affection for TJ-iso in late game situations to get a bucket... oh god the pain is coming back to me.

Colangelo tried several strategies building around Bosh: Defense with Jermaine O'Neal/Marion, shot creator with Hedo Turkoglu, outside shooters with Delfino/Kapono/Parker/Bargs. I really don't understand how you think these were not built around Bosh.
    No 'love affinity" for Ford, just an observation.

Once you bring up Turkologu and 'shot creator' in the same sentence you've lost my attention.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure that The GM didn't wake up one day and hear Jalen Rose proclaim this and say "Wow, I had no clue he felt this way!" Nobody knows the Raptors more than him and if he couldn't get a true read on what Bosh was planning or doing, then that's on him. If Bosh really had no intention at all of coming back (and there's no proof of this) and he hoodwinked The GM, then the worst case scenario is that a 25 yr old kid outsmarted a 2 time Executive Of The Year that is supposed to be the smartest guy in the room. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable as a fan about this.

The team was loyal to Chris Bosh because he was their best player. They gave him a max deal because he was a perrenial all star and he was the most popular player on the team and they made money off of him. They didn't trade him because they wouldn't get enough in a deal and because you don't trade players like him. He was no more 'loyal' to the team as he was to them. If he sucked or got injured or got in trouble, the Raptors would have traded him in a second. They didn't pay him this money because he was a nice guy. And if The GM did operate this team on the whims of Bosh and bend to his will, then that is once again an indictment on him. Toronto already went down this path once and it lead to Joey Graham. Michael Jordan was shown preferential treatment, but Jerry Krause made moves that Jordan didn't approve of (Horace Grant, Toni Kukoc, Ron Harper, not resigning Brad Sellars) to the point where Jordan was openly hostile to him, but he did what was best for the team. Same with LA and Kobe (Andrew Bynum).

Look, I'm not saying that The GM didn't try, but it's his job, as talent evaluator and 'lead executive' to make tough decisions about how this team is headed. We can put all the excuses we want on this and what Bosh did and didn't say, but no one said the job was easy. And the talent he chose to put around Bosh turned out to be woefully inadequate. TJ Ford, Andrea Bargnani, Jarrett Jack, Jason Kapono, Jermaine O'Neil, Hedo Turkoglu. This isn't the Showtime Lakers.

I guess what I should have conveyed in my first post is, I'm not quite sure WHY this interview happened and what I, as a fan, am supposed to take from this. Am I supposed to be mad at Bosh? Am I supposed to feel bad for The GM because he was dealt bad luck and was lied to? Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but it had the vibe of "Listen, it's not me, it was that our franchise player checked out and wasn't that talented in the first place". And it seems to be the mantra from all those connected from MLSE. I remember the day that he said he was going to Miami, the 2 announcers went on the FAN midday show and did the whole "No offence to Bosh, but while he was here, they never advanced past the 1st Round" thinking, like it was all his fault and that he wasn't worthy of being a 'franchise player'. But this guy was/is one of the best players in the league, checked out or not, and these guys don't grow on trees. This isn't hockey (when you can rely on a hot goalie) or football (where a great defence can cover for a bad QB). Talent wins in the NBA and no matter what system you have or how smart your coach is, it usually the guys with the best players wins and I can't see how the Raps are better without him. We went through this scortched earth policy before with our last 'franchise player' and it didn't turn out well and it feels like it's the same thing again.
    I think everyone can agree chris is a talented player but was/is he a franchise player. IMO he is not a franchise player and BC didn't have to come out with his statements for me to see that. One of the biggest problems with chris was that he didn't command a double team and that is mainly because he can't put his back to the basket. His defense was not the best especially when it comes to help defense. The league has so few good big men that bosh ends up looking better than he actucally is. BC in the interview was simply saying why things never worked out.