More Emeka Okafor To Toronto Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Emeka Okafor To Toronto Support

So we had a long conversation in here this week about Emeka Okafor. For a little background, here's my post that got the ball rolling:

Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Raptors have everything they need to get Okafor. Expiring contracts, TPEs, draft picks, young players. I think the Hornets would probably jump all over Banks, Evans and part of the TPE(The $2.7M TPE would be more than enough and save the big TPE for later use) for Okafor. With a guy like Okafor at center, Bargnani would have a lot less pressure on him and could move to the 4. Davis and Johnson would be excellent substitutes. Hell, with Johnson's athleticism he might even be able to start at the 3. No doubt DeRozan would have to step up in a big way on offense for that to work though. I read a rumor that stated the Hornets would want to move Okafor and Paul together. Well, that's not likely because of the amount of salary. If the Hornets could cap dump Okafor and land good young pieces and expiring contracts for Paul they could do a complete rebuild next summer.
    Source Raptors Republic Forums

Moving along, seems like I'm not the only with the idea that Okafor to Toronto would be a good thing:

Roll The Dice
    Tuesday July 27 2010 - 1:44pm Eastern - Toronto, ON
    I will, however, say that the reason I bring up this ‘fantasy trade’ is because I’ve had a lot of people ask me about the player(s) I’m about to mention. This isn’t an original idea on my part — so maybe I can’t be blamed for creating this ‘fantasy’ — I’m simply responding to what others are talking about.

Emeka Okafor.

Listen, Okafor is overpaid. I’m not sure that there are many in NBA circles that could argue that he’s making too much money (not that it’s HIS fault though; the man simply signed a contract that he was offered). Here’s what’s left on his deal:

2010/11 -$11.5 million
    2011/12 - $12.5 million
    2012/13 - $13.5 million
    2013/14 - $14.5 million

The Raptors are in dire need of a starting center right now (or a legit back-up at the very least). They thought they had that big man in the middle when they were close to pulling off a trade for Charlotte Bobcats big man, Tyson Chandler. But when that deal fell through, Andrea Bargnani was penciled back in as the starting center for T.O. and Amir Johnson suddenly went back into the starting line up as well (at PF). And now the Raps are left with Ed Davis and Reggie Evans coming off the bench with Solomon Alabi as the only other CENTER. It’s not pretty at this point.

That’s where Okafor comes into the mix.

By acquiring the 6′10 product from Connecticut, Toronto would have that starting center they’re looking for and Bargnani could slide over to his more natural position at the 4. The Raptors would be obtaining a durable player that has played all 82 games for 3 straight seasons; a big man that has averaged 13.3 PPG, 10.3 REB, and 1.8 BLK for his career.

Last season was the only year in Okafor’s career where he didn’t average a double-double and his scoring totals (10.1 PPG) were the lowest in his career as well. That said, at 27 years old, I don’t think his skills are diminishing or his ‘game’ is on a down-turn. On top of that, the New Orleans Hornets are hurting financially. They’d probably WELCOME any opportunity they’d have to rid themselves of Okafor’s tab. Heck, every rumour you’ve heard about Chris Paul being traded from New Orleans includes Paul’s new team picking up Okafor in the deal as well (with the thought being that the Hornets would say to “Team A” … ‘you want CP3? Well, you’re taking Emeka then too’). So if you’re the Raptors … when not swoop in and take Okafor anyway? By doing so, Toronto could be scratching New Orleans’ back as well … in that the Hornets could now trade Paul and NOT have to unload Okafor in the same transaction; you would assume that that scenario would improve the offers for Paul from teams around the league.

(*And, no, Toronto is not getting Chris Paul; he’s not coming here).

The Raptors could make this deal as well without having to give up a player from their roster. Toronto could use most/all of their trade exception from the Bosh-to-Miami deal and acquire Okafor for, essentially, nothing more than money. In fact, if the Raps are still interested in dealing Jose Calderon, perhaps a potential deal with New Orleans could involve the Spanish guard … giving the Hornets an insurance plan for a potential Paul trade (with Calderon and Darren Collison now pairing the point in Louisiana).

Yes, it’s a lot of money. But when I look around the league and check out centers that are available in free agency or MAY be available in trade … it’s slim pickings! Thus, Okafor is worth the ‘risk’ for Toronto.

Roll the dice.

E. Smith
    Source: Eric Smith's Blog

Eric makes some good points. Thoughts?
    Yes
    53.85%
    No
    46.15%

The poll is expired.

id say that hes worth the gamble, execept that i dont think he would fit in with our up-tempo style of play. he seems more suited for half-court offence where he has time to set up and get position.
    however he is really overpaid (14.5 million in 2014 is rediculous) he would provide the interior defence and rebounding that we need,and get bargs back at the 4 and amir coming off the bench, which gives us some depth as well.
    if BC can get NO to take calderon and some of the TPE for Okafur, its a win-win for us

Comment

NO would rather open the levees than take on Jose. I'm pro Okafor as long as there is a vision in place. If BC rattled off back to back moves to get a point that would make sense because Okafor on his own doesn't make the raptors that much better and at his salary he should only really be added if the team is looking to compete right away. Heck i'd support using the expirings to get Emeka and then use the TPE and Jose to get Gilbert. That would throw the raptors right into the thick of things, but clearly still not a contender.

I also really, really want to give Ed Davis as many minutes as he can handle. I think him and Derozan are the future cornerstones of this team and I'd rather confirm that belief during his rookie season than see him stuck at the back end of a big man glut.

Comment

I think This is a move BC is probably looking at because he has shown that he is putting emphasis on defense with the drafting of ed davis and alabi and the attempted trade of chandler attempted signing of barnes so i could see okafor coming here but okafor has alot of money left on his deal and he would stunting the growth of davis and alabi i think we need to try to get a good sf
        more then a good center, I like a move for iggy because he bring defence and rebounding and adds another athletic wing player to go along with weems and derozan we could offer philly this
        http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2c6orbx plus some picks i think they would accept it
        ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
          I think This is a move BC is probably looking at because he has shown that he is putting emphasis on defense with the drafting of ed davis and alabi and the attempted trade of chandler attempted signing of barnes so i could see okafor coming here but okafor has alot of money left on his deal and he would stunting the growth of davis and alabi i think we need to try to get a good sf
          more then a good center, I like a move for iggy because he bring defence and rebounding and adds another athletic wing player to go along with weems and derozan we could offer philly this
          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2c6orbx plus some picks i think they would accept it
          im sure philly would want more then evans & calderon for iggy LOL im not even sure a pick would balance in out for philly, unless they just want rid of iggy

i think hed be a good addition to start at SF & have klieza his backup but i think wed still need a proven center & im not sure even okafor would be a good fit, id rather dalembert next to bargs, chandler would have been nice. perkins even if his knee never exploded

im also sure that philly would try and package Brand into any deal for iggy. atleast if i were them i would LOL & i wouldnt want brand at all.
          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Jul 28, 2010, 01:38 AM.

Comment

He's an alright player but I'd rather have the cap flexibility then take on that huge contract.

Comment

You make some good points, but taking on a overpriced contract is just not worth it. I'm looking forward to the days where Calderon, and Banks aren't on the team or have much less contracts, and we can make a team where we have solid talent and don't squander away money on a barely decent player like Okafor. NO TO OKAFOR!!
              Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

I think that this would be a good deal if the Raptors were a contender or at least a playoff team. Okafor would fit in well because of what the Raptors need (all of the points mentioned by E Smith), but the question is how much better would the Raptors actually be with him.

The Raptors as of right now are not a playoff team. Id give them 30 wins tops. But thats fine I guess considering they're in a rebuilding mode with young guys who may develop. Bringing in a 27 year old defensive center with limited offensive skill doesn't make much sense there. Aside from the fact that he's way overpaid the Raptors would only be slightly better with him. They still don't have a true star, someone to create their own shot and lead a team. As much as I like Derozan there is no way he can lead this team, and Bargnani although a really good player just isn't a star.

So again what will adding Okafor do? Bring defense to a team that will only win about 30 games next season? Who cares for an extra few wins if itl cost you millions and hinder the cap flexibility in the future. Is a few wins really worth that? They still wont be a playoff team. On top of this as mentioned above you'd be helping NO to get rid of Paul. And where does he wanna go? Orlando or New York. EASTERN CONFERENCE being the key there. So although the raps may gain a few wins with Okafor, they'd loose just as many by playing another powerhouse in an already dominant East.

Bringing someone with that big of a contract and still not making the playoffs seems useless considering how much it will hinder the teams ability to progress in the future with the cap. It may add a few wins now, but in the long term it will be more detrimental. Unless ofcourse BC has another move up his sleeve to get an actual star and make this into a playoff team.

Comment

I like the idea of the Raptors getting Okafor, but ONLY if they are able to get Collison as well!

I know this has been discussed in the past, but given the fact that it looks like Paul's days in New Orleans are numbered unless they improve their team, I think that Collison could be available now more than ever.

I put a series of 3 trades together that all work in the ESPN Trade Machine, that basically net out to 1 big trade (has to be done in three parts due to recently traded players having to be traded by themselves for two months). I could layout all three trades, but they do work.

TO TORONTO
                  - Collison
                  - Okafor
                  - Stojakovic

TO CHARLOTTE
                  - Calderon
                  - Posey
                  - Jones
                  - $4.5M TPE (Mo Pete)

TO NEW ORLEANS
                  - Jack
                  - Diaw
                  - Evans
                  - Dampier
                  - $15M TPE (most of Bosh & Turk)
                  - Miami's 1st round pick

CHARLOTTE
                  - get Calderon to be their starting PG
                  - swap Diaw for Posey, saving about $2.5M each of the next 2 seasons
                  - swap one trade chip (Dampier) for another (TPE)

NEW ORLEANS
                  - massive salary dump by getting rid of all their bad contracts at once: Okafor, Posey & Stojakovic
                  - get 2 decent players in Jack (backp PG and some SG) & Diaw (likely new starting SF)
                  - Dampier ($13M non-guaranteed contract) and about $15M TPE gives them huge flexibility to add several players to surround Paul with over the next year (Dampier would need to be traded this offseason)
                  - get a $5M expiring contract (Evans)
                  - get a 1st round draft pick for the 2011 draft

TORONTO
                  - Okafor is a legit C that gives the Raptors more front court options, including playing Bargnani at PF
                  - Stojakovic gives SF depth for one season and his $14M expiring contract is a good trade chip
                  - Collison becomes the starting PG and adds to a solid young nucleous of players

I know Collison is good, but when your 2nd best player plays the same position as Paul, the player you want to keep happy, I think he becomes a trade asset for the right trade. If NO can dump Okafor, Posey and Stojakovic all at once (about $32M total), while only taking back about $14M in decent players (Jack/Diaw) and $5M in expiring (Evans), as well as about $28M of trade bait (TPE & Dampier)... I think NO would have to listen!
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 28, 2010, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Since we have AB and his well documented problems with rebounding and defense, It is obvious that we need a center which is solid defender and a rebounder. Now, before we decide if we want Okafor or not and whether he is over paid or ... We have to ask ourself who else is out there that fits the requirements.

Chandler, Haywood or .... ( I can not come up with any other names ...)

From the list, who else is available and who can the Raptors Realistically get ?
                    Also, Can we go forward without a real center and become competitive ? I don't think we can.

Comment

CalgaryFan ...

You are talking about moving 10 players in one trade. That is not going to happen.

Comment

I agree that The Raps are in dire need of a "true" starting center but Okafors contract is toxic. Collison would be very helpful indeed but with the position the Raps are in right now it would be short sighted to pick him up coupled with Okafor. We have a total of just under 20 million total in TPEs that remain in play until next summer, well after free agency begins. As of now we also have two first rounders in the '11 draft. We also have Evans, Banks and Belli's exp. contracts at the end of this year (total of around 10 million I beleive). This season the Raps should give the Young Gunz some serious burn to find out what their made of. Save our TPEs until at least the trade deadline when selling teams are eager to dump for cap relief. If nothing that makes us better is available, then hold those TPEs into free agency next summer (there are several centers that would fit with the Raps available). Playing our young players won't help our win column much but that's not the point. We want to develop them and get a true read of what they can potentially become. With those two 1st rounders we can make a play to draft a quality point guard (there's going to be at least 3 available as of now). I'd much rather BC be patient than throw money at a bad contract. Flexability is the name of the game and the Raps have some right now.

Comment

I like the idea of Okafor, especially with Collison, but not trading away 2 pg's in it, at least not with Banks being the 'keeper' as Calgary has the Raps doing.
                          Hell if we want to roll the dice how about Fernandez and Oden? Someone on here mentioned this a week or two ago, and while my immediate reaction was "hell no", it may be a shot to take. Two yrs left on Oden's contract, and Fernandez could replace what Bellinelli was supposed to bring the team.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            He's an alright player but I'd rather have the cap flexibility then take on that huge contract.
                            Arenick wrote: View Post
                            You make some good points, but taking on a overpriced contract is just not worth it. I'm looking forward to the days where Calderon, and Banks aren't on the team or have much less contracts, and we can make a team where we have solid talent and don't squander away money on a barely decent player like Okafor. NO TO OKAFOR!!
                            Why are you guys so concerned with MLSE saving money? That doesn't help the fans. Sure, big contract take up money but it's not yours. The best teams in the league spend far past the luxury tax threshold. If the Raptors ever want to win a ring they're going to have to, again, spend way past the luxury tax threshold. The only teams who typically care about the salary cap are:
                            • Typically teams who are tearing it all down and starting fresh. Not the Raptors.
                            • Teams who are struggling financially and are looking to reduce cost. Not the Raptors.

Adding talent is what we should be concerned with. The bottom line is there is potential to send Evans and Banks packing and get back a guy who can be a starting center and fill all the current team needs at that position. He's played three years in a row without missing a game and is only 27. His four year deal is not that bad because he has no red flags. A lot of people applauded Jermaine O'Neal coming to Toronto but over two seasons he had almost as much on the books as Okafor over four years and Okafor is a small gamble compared to Jermaine O'Neal.

Comment

The "ball" got rolling on Emeka Okafor long before the off-season actually started. People on this board alone were proposing to get him in December of last year! Why? He's a double-double centre that plays defense. There's not many in the league.

I'm all for landing Okafor, despite his albatross contract. I'm not sure how a Bargs/Okafor frontcourt would work defensively, but I'm willing to try it out, and trade Bargnani if it doesn't. Okafor is also likely willing to come to Toronto, as he stated it was his favourite NBA city to visit when on the road (http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/okafor_chat051031.html - CTRL+F Toronto - the article is quite old though).

Comment

Working...
                              X