More Emeka Okafor To Toronto Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    Ok, Lets take the 2nd option. Now, tell us who are in your list that you think Raptors should go after as their starting center.

Then we can see how realistic is their availability.

I don't think there are that many centers in this league who are good rebounder and defender and have a reasonable contract and are or will be available !!
    I don't know.

The $14.5 million TPE lasts for a whole year and may wind up being more valuable at the trade deadline when teams find themselves out of the race and looking to shed salaries, than it is worth now in the summer when teams are either pretty happy with what they have now or are looking to dump contracts now, and as you said, there's not much available right now.

So again, as I said to Apollo, if I had an NBA crystal ball, I'd be able to tell you who will be in or out of the playoffs this year, and I could tell you who would be available today by trade deadline. As I'm not privy to such a mystical entity, I'm unable to tell you who the Raptors should go after. Give me 6-8 months, please, and then the crystal ball that I do possess will come more into focus.

Bottom line: if you're retooling, i.e., looking at success down the road rather than immediately:

a) take a chance on Okafor's big $52 for 4 years contract, or
    b) you can do what you haven't been able to do while Bosh was around, which was to immediately bring in any and all pieces to satisfy one guy, but instead stand pat with that big $14.5 million TPE and see who's available come trade deadline.

Perhaps being patient may pay off with a better player for the Raptors, esp. seeing first how they come together and gel as a team (if they do at all) to see what kind of centre we need, rather than satisfying our instant-gratification side to get something done asap. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Is no one giving Dwayne Jones (who?) ...you know? the other guy in the Hedo trade...a chance here? Of course not starting material else he wouldnt be a throwin...but I havent seen him mentioned at all in all the discussions re the centre position.

This guy had the rebounding record in the D League and was a pretty good shot blocker in college. His team (w/Jameer Nelson, Delonte West and him ) went deep in the ncaa tournament...and he was signed to backup Lopez on the Suns last year. Just saying. He might not be an absolute scrub.

Does anyone have anymore details about him? I read where he is working out w/Davis.

Comment

Is anyone else curious as to why Dalls signed Haywood and traded for Candler this summer - they now have two legit starting centres, who will be fighting for plyaing time. Either one would fit in with the Raptors. Are they looking to see how things pan out during the season and then dump one of them at the trade deadline? Or is one just an insurance policy for the other?

Comment

I wouldnt take him chris paul for sure doesnt want to be here.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
            Is anyone else curious as to why Dalls signed Haywood and traded for Candler this summer - they now have two legit starting centres, who will be fighting for plyaing time. Either one would fit in with the Raptors. Are they looking to see how things pan out during the season and then dump one of them at the trade deadline? Or is one just an insurance policy for the other?
            I think it is a combination of adding quality depth and unloading a bunch of crap (useless players / bad contracts) on Charlotte

Comment

Own Up wrote: View Post
              I don't know.

The $14.5 million TPE lasts for a whole year and may wind up being more valuable at the trade deadline when teams find themselves out of the race and looking to shed salaries, than it is worth now in the summer when teams are either pretty happy with what they have now or are looking to dump contracts now, and as you said, there's not much available right now.
              Fair Enough. So let me re phrase my question:

Lets put the availability of the centers to the side, Name few centers in the league who are solid rebounder and defender that you like to see as a Raptor ?

Then, we can look at their salaries.

So Come on People, start to the list

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
                Because to compete with Lakers you need length and toughness in your ftont court. Plus, with Tyson, the injury is always an issue so Dallas wanted to have some insurance.

Dallas is a team that has to WIN NOW or it is going to be late in 2 years.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                  Lets put the availability of the centers to the side, Name few centers in the league who are solid rebounder and defender that you like to see as a Raptor ?

Then, we can look at their salaries.

So Come on People, start to the list
                  perhaps this would be better as a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X