Above The Rim: The Final Possesion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Above The Rim: The Final Possesion

Blog. Blog. Blog. TIMEOUT! Raps down 1 with possession. Our head coach [insert name; i.e., Lenny Wilkins, Sam Mitchel, Jay Tirano] draws out a play for the team to execute.

Everyone knows what's coming.

Everyone, especially this avid spectator, knows exactly what their home team WON'T DO. They know not to expect anything going to the rim. They know not to expect anything easy. And they know, as deeply painful as it is, that the Raptors are not going to hit the shot.

Adversely, when it's the Raptors clutching on to a single point lead - a victory is not guaranteed. Actually, quite the opposite, again - and as deeply painful as it is, we expect the opposing team to hit that buzzer-beating game-winning shot.

Follow me veteran Raptors fans as we take a stride down memory lane. NOTE: there is no particular order to these clips and this is not a list!

This one is particularly painful. Game 7. A game winning shot away from a birth in the Eastern Conference Championships. It's almost funny to say it, "Toronto Raptors playing for the Eastern Conference crown?"

I took a long walk after that miss.

Immediately let's set aside the whole flying to graduation thing. This blog is about the The Final Possession.

Lets talk about the shot. Lenny Wilkins has Dee Brown, a solid shooter, inbound the ball to Vince. Standard protocol (the NBC announcers call it) considering the in-bounder often gets the ball back for the shot.

The in-bounds pass leads Vince away from the basket - obviously we couldn't draw up a play towards the rim or at least get Vince the ball while facing the basket. Vince, the great athlete that he was, is able to stop on a dime, pump fake, get the defender off his feet and...

Didn't that feel like a long 2 seconds? Doesn't it seem that Carter could have collected himself for a moment and not fade away? The 76er defender, Hill, was beat. His arms and legs flailing. Couldn't Vince have been more aggressive with his stroke and ripped up through the arms of the defender while he rose for the shot - you know what I'm talking about - Kobe Bryant is a pro at the move.

Surely there would be contact. A call would have to be made, the offensive player is entitled to that space.

Instead Vince misses and we lose.

Wouldn't it have been amazing to let Vince, at-his-athletic-prime, make a play towards the basket for an easy 2 or foul. Naw, not the Raps style - that stuff only happens to us.

ooh that's nasty.

More memories...

Save the time and skip to 5:32.

Final Possession. Sam Mitchel goes to his trustee pick and roll with Calderon and Bosh at the top of the key. Calderon receives the ball, Bosh rolls AWAY from the basket...

Raptors Lose.

Final Possession. Again another Sam Mitchel inspired, Calderon and Bosh connection. At least this time the Raptors get something going to the rim. Unfortunately not close enough...

Raptors Lose.

Save the time and skip to 5:32. Let's not forget about defense. We leave one of the most accurate, clutch, 3 point shooters open in the corner. The Celtics make it look easy.

Raptors Lose.

Seems like the few times we do win on the Final Possession is when we don't draw it up!

Get High Monkey
    Last edited by Get High Monkey; Wed Jul 28, 2010, 02:08 AM.

This is painful. Why did you post this? I'm crying in my cubicle.

Comment

I didn't even watch the videos. I have most of those memories burned into my mind.
      The Nets one, I think, is the worst. There is no way Bosh shouldn't be able to take Jefferson in post and finish that play. Bad pass!!

Comment

DoubleD wrote: View Post
        I didn't even watch the videos. I have most of those memories burned into my mind.
        The Nets one, I think, is the worst. There is no way Bosh shouldn't be able to take Jefferson in post and finish that play. Bad pass!!
        Yah, that one really hurt... at least we know whom of Miami's Big 3 will not be taking the final possession shot!

Vince's game 7 miss hurts the most for me - especially watching the crowd rush the court and when Iverson is being interviewed immediately after the game he is asked if "this is the best moment of his career" as chants of MVP fill the air.

Comment

Bargnani has hit some clutch shots over the past couple of seasons. I would go to him in crunch time.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
            This is painful. Why did you post this? I'm crying in my cubicle.
            I have no more tears left to shed.

As for my motive for posting these painful memories, I want to demonstrate how often a game is decided on the final possesion. You can have a great off-season, bring in a wealth of talent, restructure the front office but if you can't execute when the game is on the line it's all for not.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Bargnani has hit some clutch shots over the past couple of seasons. I would go to him in crunch time.
              To be honest I don't care who takes the shot as long as it's a high percentage shot and the shooter is actually OPEN!

Comment

Get High Monkey wrote: View Post
                Vince's game 7 miss hurts the most for me - especially watching the crowd rush the court and when Iverson is being interviewed immediately after the game he is asked if "this is the best moment of his career" as chants of MVP fill the air.
                Things were still looking up that point. You could still see improvement coming down the road. This was just a lesson to be learn on the road to more success!
                After the Nets' lose, things looked bleak. We SHOULD have beaten them. Our (or at least my) outlook was heading down and we needed big changes to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X