Isn't Jay Triano Canadian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't Jay Triano Canadian?

Unless he has dual citizenship (which he very well might) why did I see our Canadian head coach on the bench for team USA? If he does have dual citizenship, maybe he can foster some relationships with the incredible young talent on that roster and bring 'em up north.

I was just curious if anyone else saw him during that scrimmage for the US team and if anyone had an answer for me.

I believe Triano has been involved with the US team for a couple years, ever since he was released from the Canadian team. From what I recall, BC recommended him to his father Jerry who runs the US team... I think he was involved with coaching the 2nd team squad for the last summer olympics to help train/prepare the main US team. A lot of people rip on Triano's lack of experience on this site, but he seems to be quite well respected in the pro ball community, based on his olympic experience and mind for the game. I think he has the potential to be a solid coach... remember, every HOF coach started out as an inexperienced coach... experience takes time!

Comment

ImissDelfino wrote: View Post
      Unless he has dual citizenship (which he very well might) why did I see our Canadian head coach on the bench for team USA? If he does have dual citizenship, maybe he can foster some relationships with the incredible young talent on that roster and bring 'em up north.

I was just curious if anyone else saw him during that scrimmage for the US team and if anyone had an answer for me.
      Del Harris used to help out team Canada all the time as a guest coach.
      I know the Nelsons used to help outthe Lithuanian team.

When it comes to coaching, nationality doesn't matter. Besides, Triano could probably learn a thing or two from real head coaches.

Comment

Oh indeed, I'm not on him, I think he's doing okay. I was just curious why he was there. Build those relationships Triano, build them good. I want some elite players to actually want to play for Toronto for a coach that wants to win.

Comment

Before the last Olympics, Jerry Colangelo took Triano in to coach the US Select team. This team practices against the the Olympic team, fills-in when there's an injury, and they are being groomed to be the next Olympic team. USA basketball is trying to get more players accustomed to the international game earlier. At the time Triano was asked to head the Select team because 1/ he has international coaching/playing experience;
          2/ has NBA assistant coaching experience (at the time), familiarity with NBA players
          3/ respected for his basketball knowledge.

plus coaches don't have to be citizens of the country they are coaching. It's actually a very common occurrence of Olympic coaches training athletes from a nation other than their own.

Comment

Besides aren't the Canadian National team assistant coaches, american college coaches? Also, Gherardini(sp?) is an Italian who is involved with Canadian National team.
            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

coaches don't need to be same nationality no matter what the international competition coaches can be from anywhere and if its going to help further gain expeirence and freindships then by all means.

Comment

You only have to be American if you're playing in the game. Canadian coaches have been coaching other national hockey teams abroad for years now. Just an example.

Comment

Jack Donahue (American) was a long time coach of the Canadian Basketball team. Its done all the time in coaching. Even national soccer teams which are as nationalistic as there are in international sports hire foreign head coaches. Wont be long now when you'll find a German coach of the England team!!

Comment

---------
                    Ever heard of Jack Donahue?
                    Our national team coach for a hundred years?
                    He wasn't Canadian.

Comment

DOH! I didn't see Bendit's post before posting.

Comment

dude this could have easily been solved by using a little thing called ...
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Signed in to give my 2 cents about this...

This is by far the stupidest forum topic yet

Comment

I thought once you become a US citizen you give up connections to past countries? However I do know he was the first international (Canadian) coach in NBA history.
                            Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

Arenick wrote: View Post
                              I thought once you become a US citizen you give up connections to past countries? However I do know he was the first international (Canadian) coach in NBA history.
                              Is it possible to be a dual citizen of the United States of America and another country?

YES -- in many cases.

If you have been a dual citizen from birth or childhood, or else became a citizen of another country after already having US citizenship, and the other country in question does not have any laws or regulations requiring you to formally renounce your US citizenship before US consular officials, then current US law unambiguously assures your right to keep both citizenships for life.

The US State Department -- once quite combative in its handling of dual-citizenship claims -- has changed the way it handles these cases in recent years, and it is now much easier to retain such a status without a fight than it used to be.

The situation is slightly less clear for someone who becomes a US citizen via naturalization and still wishes to take advantage of his old citizenship. People who go through US naturalization are required to state under oath that they are renouncing their old citizenship, and conduct inconsistent with this pledge could theoretically lead to loss of one's US status.

However, the State Department is no longer actively pursuing cases of this nature in most situations. In particular, when a new American's "old country" refuses to recognize the US naturalization oath (with its renunciatory clause) as having any effect on its own citizenship laws -- and insists that the person in question must continue to deal with his old country as a citizen thereof (e.g., by using that country's passport when travelling there to visit) -- the US State Department generally no longer minds.

Similarly, the State Department doesn't seem to be doing anything any more to people who renounce their US citizenship as part of a foreign country's "routine" naturalization procedure (in a manner similar to what the US makes its new citizens do). However, if the other country in question requires its newly naturalized citizens to approach officials of their old countries to revoke their previous status, one will generally not be able to remain a citizen both of that country and the US.
                              http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X