Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Raptors 2010-2011 Depth Chart (Update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going out on a limb and adding DeMar to that group. Let's make it two.

Comment

Jack is 100% starting (Calderon will be traded as per Eric Smith's Blog + Evans if possible). Colangelo said Kleiza will be starting, but I bet Weems will eventually get the starting job on opening night. Alabi will be last in the rotation, since he will most likely be playing in the D-League. If and when Calderon is moved, look for Banks to get plenty of playing time at the back-up 1 position. He'll be playing for a contract and will be a more valuable trade asset closer to the trade deadline. Top three off the Bench will be: Kleiza, Davis, Barbosa in that order.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I think if Calderon is moved it'll be Barbosa getting lots of burn at PG like he did in Phoenix. Sonny and Marco can handle the ball well and both those guys will be competing for reserve minutes. I just don't see how anyone can expect Sonny to bang in the paint with guys who, at times, could have up to 50lbs on him. Sonny only comes in at 205lbs.

Comment

I thought Weems would start over Kleiza?
          Last edited by Arenick; Thu Jul 29, 2010, 11:53 PM. Reason: Misspell
          Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

I cant see Kleiza starting over weems, i like kleizas game but at the end of last season, just a few months ago we saw some magic from weems, demar, johnson. They play well together and they all like playing together. I think it would be better for the developments of all of these young guys to start together because at the beginning of games you play against the best talent when the game isnt on the line. Weems would be at the 2 with demar at the 3.
            Weems averaged 16 points for the last 5 games of the season, he has something

Please if am am missing anything help me out.

RAW
            Last edited by Red and White; Fri Jul 30, 2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Plus Kleiza has no mid range game, no handles and can't create his own shot. Not to mention that he will have diffuculty guarding NBA SFs. Kleiza is more of a PF as folks will soon see come November. I just hope that BC via his puppet Jay doesn't just give out starting positions and lets training camp play decide who starts- not the size of said contract ie starting Jose over Jack.

YG'z or bust!!!

Comment

There is no chance Weems starts @ SF. I'd take my chances with a "slow" Klieza on D before I would with Weems and his 6'5 - 205 lb frame. Can you imagine him trying to guard Josh Smith or Lebron ? Broken.
                "Oh well, that's basketball. It used to be basketball. I don't know what it is now."

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Sorry if I wasn't clear. Tark's Runnin's Rebels didn't use it all the time. You are correct about it not being possible in the NBA. However, some NBA teams rarely use it as part of their regular defensive scheme. I think that this Raptors squad would benefit greatly by developing a good pressing defense and using it in select situations.

It is usually more effective at home where the home crowd can really get into it.

By using it in select situations but not continuously you throw your opponents off when you start using it even if they know that at some time in the game that you will. If you use it all the time then not only is exhausting to your players but the opponents will adjust pretty easily especially in the NBA.

So yes not all the time or even most of the time but in select situations during every game as part of their regular defensive scheme.

Yeah, there are definitely problems running it all the time and throwing it on in select situations would seem to be conventional wisdom. I don't think that pressing all the time every game is useful, as you pointed out, because team's get used to it and it ceases to be a game changer. However, in the case where you have a young team that arguably has more energy than your opponent, running a press for long stretches, perhaps even the majority of game--although tiring for your team-- is also phyiscally and mentally exhausting for the other team especially their PG. If i were an NBA coach (specifically next year's raptors, [and i most certaintly am not!]) I would definitely challenge the conventional wisdom of presses in the NBA and consider doing it for an entire game or two. However, even if the raps can effectively demonstrate the use of situational presses that would still be great to see!
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Maybe but Calderon works better with Bargnani than Jack does and I'm thinking Jose starts because of that and also as a tool to move him in the season.

Weems will be giving up 25-50lbs most nights if he's starting at the 3. That is, of course, unless he's hit the gym hard in the off-season. Anyone know if Sonny has been trying to pack on muscle this summer?

All this thread is at this point is opinion. We'll have to wait a few more months to get a good handle on it all.
                    in the Fan590 interview the other day he says he's working out 2, sometimes 3 times a day, although i'm sure you've already listened to it!
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                      jack n weems r starting...
                      i agree.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

At the very least, if Weems isn't starting, he couldn't be the 9th option! I think he's actually got great sixth man material, but could benefit from some work on his handle.

DeRozan isn't going to be playing any 3, which will suck if he doesn't add some range on his jumper, slashing 2 guard or not.

I hate the thought of having a sixth man who is a pure point guard. We need a steady pg, someone who is capable of working with all team members (the floor general), and the 6th man should be a spark plug for a slumping offense. The most effective sixth men in the league today are SGs. Who else has a quality pass-first pg as 6th man in the NBA? Assuming Calderon is gone and Jack is the Starting PG, we'll need to rely on big minutes from Jack as floor leader, and, especially if DD's game is off on a given night, a backup SG or someone capable of playing multiple wing positions to change the look of the offense. ESPECIALLY if/when we are operating in a 3-guard offense! Weems can play SF against athletic wings, can guard the 1 when necessary, and the defensive schemes have been and could be altered to play to the strengths of each player. Jack gets blown by just as regularly as Calderon does in games, but Weems did a decent job of playing against quick PGs when asked to do so.

I'd also prefer to see Alabi stay up with the big boys and play 10 minutes of real ball in his first year, maybe even 15 minutes, rather than dominating in the DL.

My preferred Roles / Minutes:

Jarrett Jack -- 32-34 min
                        Demar DeRozan -- 30-34 min
                        Sonny Weems -- 25-30 min
                        Amir Johnson -- 25-30 min
                        Andrea Bargnani -- 34-38 min

Marco Bellinelli -- 15-21 min (give him a chance!)
                        Ed Davis -- 20-25 min (especially if we play small!)
                        Marcus Banks -- 6-10 min
                        Linas Kleiza -- 10-16 min (unless johnson still has trouble staying on the floor)
                        Solomon Alabi -- 10-15 min
                        Joey Dorsey -- 3-5 min

Reggie Evans
                        Dwayne Jones
                        Anderson

Is there no chance Ed Davis grows into the role of the defensive-minded 3?
                        It's about money

Comment

cut barbosa! ha.
                          It's about money

Comment

yikes

This team, as currently constructed, has absolutely no chance to win more than 20 games. At first, I was optimistic about the new offense but the talent level is just WAY too low to compete with anyone in the league. I think they have the element of surprise and can out-run teams every once in a while, but the second any team with a half decent roster clamps down on D, the Raptors are done. Really looking forward to that top 5 pick.

Comment

Me too!!!
                              It's about money

Comment

What I would like to see is:

Jack
                                Sonny
                                DD
                                Amir
                                AB7

Key subs
                                Barbosa
                                Klieza
                                Davis
                                Jose

Sprinkle a few minutes in here and there

Anderson
                                Evans
                                Marco
                                Banks

D league
                                Alabi
                                Dorsey

What I think we will see

starters

Jack
                                DD
                                Klieza
                                Amir
                                AB7

2nd string

Jose
                                Barbosa
                                Weems
                                Davis
                                Alabi/Anderson

3rd string
                                Banks
                                Marco
                                Reggie
                                Alabi/Anderson
                                Dorsey
                                Last edited by it is what it is; Sat Jul 31, 2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X